1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL STEELERS MB/TSF MB FANTASY DRAFT - STEELERS VOTING

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 7, 2012.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Re: OFFICIAL STEELERS MB/TSF MB FANTASY DRAFT - STEELERS VOT

I don't see us drafting a RB or CB this high. We've got some young players at both positions, I think they'll have a chance to prove themselves this year.

How about Mike Schwartz OT Cal as a right tackle?

2. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I was thinking DB too - thoughts on Brandon Boykin or Trumaine Johnson. Boykin is a little small and Johnson is a bit raw, but do like both of them.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Top rated players and positions still on the board (Thanks, Walter):
    RB- Doug Martin #37, Lamar Miller #38
    CB- Josh Robinson #39, Jayron Hosley #48
    DT- Brandon Thompson #40
    TE- Dwayne Allen #41 (#1 TE on Walter's board)
    WR- Juron Criner #45
    SS- Harrison Smith #51
    OL- Mitchell Schwartz #64 (OT), Brandon Washington #66 (OG)

I know this is only one site's perception of value. Just throwing it out there. Maybe cut it down to three or 4, and vote from there.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I am not liking whats available for them. I will be opening the voting for their 2nd rounder probably later this evening. Thanks

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

We're on the clock! Hope it doesn't unfold like this in real life.

I'm looking hard at Philip Blake, C/G from Baylor. I like his size. I like that he's not just a big blob and can move a little. Start at guard from day 1 and bring some position flexibility because he can play center and the two centers we have like to get hurt all the time (see ya Essex!). Still looking at other guys before I make my vote official.

Other guys at the top of the list for me are Harrison Smith and Chase Minnefield.

6. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Great story about Aaron :yeehaw:

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I had a feeling I should have just started this when I posted earlier...OH well...no biggie...

Lets vote!

Depending on the number of votes we get before I go to bed tonight...I will either call it then (if we have a clear majority winner)...if not...then it will be announced Thursday morning/afternoon. Thanks

8. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

OL or Billy Winn DE (I saw him play a bunch- he has 3-4 end all over him)....maybe Hood moves inside, I agree with snack its not looking good. (, hopefully the Steelers would see much more guys on board than I am for their needs)

9. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

My vote is Harrison Smith, SS, ND first. Our safeties aren't getting any younger.

Then Ben Jones, C/G, Georgia. Our line isn't going to get better by itself.

10. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I'll go Harrison Smith as well.

I'd love to land an O-lineman but I don't see anyone there that even comes close to the value of Smith.

Safety is a need also.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

It can't be unanimous.... I'll vote Mitchell Schwartz OT, California... damn this sucks can we start over???

We were 1 pick away from a Hightower/Burflict ILB combo

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

Well, if we stick to the BPA at a position that we could use, Doug Martin, RB, Boise State has to be considered. IMO he is the 2nd most complete RB in this draft behind Richardson. However, I personally grade RBs low because I think capable RBs are about a dime a dozen. My other BPA at this point is Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State, who I think will be an impact OLB or ILB in a 3-4 defense 1-2 years from now. However, we drafted a guy in R1 who seems to me to be a hybrid of an ILB/OLB, so it may not make sense to grab another, even if he is the safest pick on the board. I see 2 high potential guys who need development: Brandon Washington, G/T, Miami and Markelle Martin, S, Ok State. I also see a nose tackle that is NFL ready, but a bit undersized in Josh Chapman, Alabama. I also really like Brandon Boykin as a slot corner in the nickel, and maybe a starter down the road. The problem is, nobody blows me away as a clear best choice.

For my vote, I am giving Washington the edge among players that I see as similar in rating because of positional need. I am going to hope that Washington's poor 2011 season was largely due to being put at LT, when he is really a prototypical guard. As a guard, he should see the field in 2012, and impact in 2013 - maybe as a starting LG.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Brandon Washington, OG, Miami (FL)

Our OL is garbage and sometimes you just have to force the issue.

14. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Hopefully the draft doesnt go like this. Unfortunately now the way the draft has gone there isnt much difference between the next 15 OL, G or T 's. I was hoping to see one earlier -as every one else was- but it is what it is. First round we elevated a guy for need, looks like reach a bit for a G since that right now is the biggest need and hope like hell we can laugh about this in April.

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Seconded. Brandon Washington, OG, Miami (FL)

After doing more research on Washington, it seems like he has more upside than Blake. I liked Blake because he might be more NFL ready right now, but it's not like this is our LAST year to win. Even though we are in win-now mode, the window is open as long as we have Ben, and he's got at least three more. And even a guy who needs a little more work will still be an immediate improvement over Kemo.

Of course, I mostly changed my vote so that we'd have two votes for the same guy. I like Harrison Smith a lot too, but he'd be a backup and situational player for like 3 years. We can get one of those another time. OL needs help now, and although this draft is supposed to be deep for guards, they are flying off the shelves and I don't want to think about what might be there in round 3.

16. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011

TE Dwayne Allen. DJ sux, Saundes is out for a few, best TE in the draft (arguably). Heath is awesome, but getting older.

17. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I understand the Washington pick. However, if you selected him because the "OL needs help now", it would be a mistake. He does have upside but he's very raw and IMO wouldn't help for atleast a year anyway..

18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

How about Bobbie Massey OT from ole miss

19. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011

Massey went at pick 47 to the jets

20. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Man it's a tough call but I'm voting for Lamarr Miller, RB, Miami. Change your picks! He's definitely the BPA!

I've heard comparisons to Jamaal Charles. Let's give Haley his toy to play with. I think in the short AND long term this would be a great pick. I'm not sure Miller ever becomes a 3 down back but those are rare anyway. Miller + Redman would be great.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Well there is really not a great pick at this point IMO......So we should pick for future value ,I know this sounds crazy ,but I think we should go QB if the draft falls like this....
    At least we have a player in place for when Ben Leaves similar to Rogers and Farve type situation.....Kirk Cousins QB Michgan State....

I dont really see a player at any other position that can help us in the near future so maybe is the perfect time to draft a future QB....Plus Cousins is the BPA at this point on my board....

22. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Man what is with people and early QB's... that would be an insane waste of a pick. If Lamichael James is really there in round 2 for us there's no way they pass on him.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Not Insane at all....We need to pick a player who actually has value or who could become more valuable in the future....What if Ben goes down with a career ending Injury?What if Ben only plays 4 or 5 more seasons healthy?What if Ben just misses a few games and the young BU QB plays very well?At that point this 2nd. round pick could become a 1st. and a 2nd...

I don't like 2nd. round plus OL,,,to me they end up just being average....I don't like the DL that are available.....I don't like the Safety guys that are available at this pick....We have 2 young CB'S so no need to draft one at this spot either....We have a stable of RB'S Batch was on his way to making the roster Dwyer has talent if he can keep his mind right ,Redman is starter material and will do a great job as a starter then you add Mendenhall to the mix and we really have no spot for a RB either....

So to me if the draft fell exactly like this the QB would be a great choice IMO.....

24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

Well, what do we do now? I see TWO votes for Harrison Smith SS and TWO votes for Brandon Washington OG. One vote for the remainder. It's been quite some time since the last selection and we surely can't skip the steelers pick...

25. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Wow this vote is all over the place as I suspected it would be.

Right now the top 2 are:

Safety H Smith with 2 votes and OG Washington with 3 votes.

Now it depends on which way I vote. Not sure Washington is the BPA here...while it does fill a need...hmmm...