1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official NFL Combine Results

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i read they were at the wvu pro day looking at najae good and irvin. we just drafted carter though last year. maybe they will move carter inside. :cool:

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's funny. I just saw "Path to the Draft's" clip on Hightower, and about 90% of the highlights that they showed were of him sacking, hitting or pressuring the passer. I think he could be as good as Woodley and Harrision if he is moved to the outside as a rush OLB and be used to get a better pass rush up the middle. I would draft him in R1, but my expectation of the role that he would play long-term is perhaps different from what some others are expecting. He is not a 2 down defender, but what he offers on 3rd down is not traditional for an ILB - it's an additional pass rusher. I could see sets on 3rd down with 1 down lineman + Woodley, Harrision and Hightower all rushing the passer. It would cause matchup nightmares for offensive lines that are not quick enough laterally to deal with 3 explosive speed rushers.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's funny. I just saw "Path to the Draft's" clip on Hightower, and about 90% of the highlights that they showed were of him sacking, hitting or pressuring the passer. I think he could be as good as Woodley and Harrision if he is moved to the outside as a rush OLB and be used to get a better pass rush up the middle. I would draft him in R1, but my expectation of the role that he would play long-term is perhaps different from what some others are expecting. He is not a 2 down defender, but what he offers on 3rd down is not traditional for an ILB - it's an additional pass rusher. I could see sets on 3rd down with 1 down lineman + Woodley, Harrision and Hightower all rushing the passer. It would cause matchup nightmares for offensive lines that are not quick enough laterally to deal with 3 explosive speed rushers.[/quote:31ovsccf]
    For highlights, the pick what looks best or what they can get their hands on in a hurry.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's funny. I just saw "Path to the Draft's" clip on Hightower, and about 90% of the highlights that they showed were of him sacking, hitting or pressuring the passer. I think he could be as good as Woodley and Harrision if he is moved to the outside as a rush OLB and be used to get a better pass rush up the middle. I would draft him in R1, but my expectation of the role that he would play long-term is perhaps different from what some others are expecting. He is not a 2 down defender, but what he offers on 3rd down is not traditional for an ILB - it's an additional pass rusher. I could see sets on 3rd down with 1 down lineman + Woodley, Harrision and Hightower all rushing the passer. It would cause matchup nightmares for offensive lines that are not quick enough laterally to deal with 3 explosive speed rushers.[/quote:u9aun3hy]

Agreed Elvis. Timmons is our cover backer on 3rd down. I see Hightower as a down hill thumper and run stuffer on first and second down, with the ability to bring the heat on 3rd down.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It's funny. I just saw "Path to the Draft's" clip on Hightower, and about 90% of the highlights that they showed were of him sacking, hitting or pressuring the passer. I think he could be as good as Woodley and Harrision if he is moved to the outside as a rush OLB and be used to get a better pass rush up the middle. I would draft him in R1, but my expectation of the role that he would play long-term is perhaps different from what some others are expecting. He is not a 2 down defender, but what he offers on 3rd down is not traditional for an ILB - it's an additional pass rusher. I could see sets on 3rd down with 1 down lineman + Woodley, Harrision and Hightower all rushing the passer. It would cause matchup nightmares for offensive lines that are not quick enough laterally to deal with 3 explosive speed rushers.[/quote:1v5zoxe7]

Agreed Elvis. Timmons is our cover backer on 3rd down. I see Hightower as a down hill thumper and run stuffer on first and second down, with the ability to bring the heat on 3rd down.[/quote:1v5zoxe7]

i see us looking at speed. it's no secret that we need to get faster on both sides of the ball. a reason they are looking at other RB's even though we have redman and a good stable of thumpers. i believe they are looking at that combination of speed and thumpability. part of the reason they are looking hard at some speed college defenses like miami and west virginia and cincy to name a few. there are guys out there that may not have quite the thumper style of hightower but are very close and they have speed and coverage ability above his. having an all around package of those abilities instead of one or two of them will benifit us in the long run. they have to have that sideline to sideline playing ability or teams will exploit weaknesses in their games. offenses in the nfl are smart enough to do that. that's why i think there is not the overwhelming must have concensus about hightower as a can't miss talent. he does some things very well, just not overall. that's not a bad thing but some teams want a more overall game. :cool: