1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Mike Tomlin thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I definitely question both the Fichtner and Butler hires. If the system was working great and needed some tweaks, then fine. But it wasn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Rams went from the worst offensive team in the league under Fisher to the best under McVay. The Pats continually win no matter which star players they lose, including Brady (they went 11-5 without him). Coaching is a big part of a teams success. Scheming is a huge part of football. Tomlin is admittedly not a big scheme guy.

No one is saying we're stacked at defence, but we're better than we've looked

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, that was meant as sarcasm. I agree with you. The talent is either subpar, inexperienced, or both.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, and the Browns have changed coaches repeatedly and seen no improvement. The talent on the field is the most important thing. And btw, Belichick failed to make the playoffs without Brady in a crappy division. Let's see how great BB looks when he is without him. I am betting he still has them competitive but nothing like we've seen them with Brady.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hate to tell you all I told you so, but I have for a looooooong time. Look for
    Joey Porter to be the first fall guy, then Butler.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    True. Something just hit me....we always talk about how they can find WRs in the draft and how great they are at that. Then we talk about our weaknesses and how they can't seem to draft good CBs and more recently OLBs. It's peculiar how OL was a weakness of ours until we started drafting some OL early in the draft but it also coincides with the hiring of Munchak who seems to be able to make almost anyone really good regardless of draft status.
    The defense doesn't seem to be getting better no matter who we pick up or draft especially in the secondary. What is the common denominator in this equation. Look at our DCs during the Tomlin era. We retired a ineffective Lebeau and replaced him with his disciple. A guy who's HC time has passed him by and Butler who never even gets considered. Then there's Tomlin who is supposed to have a defensive background especially in the secondary. There has been talk going back to last year about Tomlin having more input and the D is getting even worse....
    The offense you can say has performed well because of Ben and the improved OL. Maybe we draft well at WR but maybe it's a combination of Ben/OL. Not saying some of our guys aren't great but having a great QB makes them better( see AB with Vick or Jones at QB) The other factor in our success could be because of our former OCs( BA and Haley) at least they were qualified enough to be HCs at some point. The point I'm trying to make is to the people who say we don't have enough talent on D and we seemingly can't draft CBs and OLBs look at the draft picks invested in fixing this D and look at the coaches that are supposed to be developing them and making them better. I don't think it's as simple as we really know how to draft WRs but can't seem to draft CBs. In my eyes it's the coaching and the schemes they are trying to teach and implement that are making our guys look way worse than they actually are. It just seems to me that whoever they draft or bring in under their tutelage regresses and doesn't actually improve....

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    C’mon, man. He went 11-5 (and became only the second team since the 16-game schedule to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs). It’s not like NE crashed and burned.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    True that they most likely will never be at the Brady level any time soon but no matter who his players are you can guarantee they won't be acting like jackasses...he isn't afraid to discipline his players if they aren't doing the right thing on and off the field. When Welker ran his mouth he got benched. No one really knows the Makcolm Butler story but if your late to practice...cut. Fumble too many times ....cut They just cut a guy last week for muffing a punt. They are constantly getting rid of guys who aren't doing the right thing set by their standards. That's why they can take a chance and bring in malcontents because they know that if they don't adhere to their way of doing things they will be gone. We could never bring in a D Bryant or J Gordon....in this locker room?

There is still a place in football for discipline and fear of losing your job. That's part of the reason they are successful every year. Brady yes of course but everyone else on the team is expected to act and prepare as professionals. The announcers talk all the time about how NEs players are expected and actually demanded that they learn tons of different plays just week to week. Our guys look like it's taken them 3 years to learn how to communicate and they still can't get it right. Over at SD they said that we were running a different D on each side of the field. How the F is this still happening? A point someone else made they bring in Burnett for communication and they start Edmunds. They bring in Bostic whom Tomlin dubbed a " natural communicator" and VW still has the green dot. Just mind boggling stuff....

We have talent it's not being utilized correctly. We've had/have the coaches in place in the O side of the ball at WR,RB,OL and a franchise QB to round out the ability on that side of the ball. Who or what do we have on the defensive side? Nothing!

9. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Fwiw, the AFC East was also the 3rd-strongest division in the league that season.

NFCS 40-24 = 0.625
    NFCE 38-25-1 = 0.602
    AFCE 38-26 = 0.594
    AFCS 38-26 = 0.594
    AFCN 31-32-1 = 0.492
    NFCN 25-39 = 0.391
    AFCW 23-41 = 0.359
    NFCW 22-42 = 0.344

10. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    The original point was that Belichick has tight control of his roster and if any player (specifically AB) acted like this in NE, Belichick would cut him. Except NE gives their few (one?) star players a lot of slack. Tom Brady berating teammates or coaches on the sidelines during the game? No repercussions. It’s the lesser players and no-names who are on tight leashes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe Brady was right to berate them. He seems to know a thing or two about winning.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't expect NE to discipline Brady or the Steelers to discipline Brown for sideline antics. There are plenty of examples of NE cutting,trading or benching some of their better players...Chandler Jiones ,Jamie Collins,Welker ,Malcolm Butler there is a RB or 2 I think I'm missing and probably 1 or 2 more instances They trade guys you think they are crazy for trading and some of that may be conduct related. They just plug and play until they find guys who totally buy in....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    At Tomlin's press conference today, he really dumped on Berry and the net punting, for the game. Said it was below the line and has to improve. He also implied that they could bring in some punters this week, for workouts. Now I agree that Berry had a poor game and I'm not against them bringing in some competition, but how about calling out the defense? They were truly atrocious and need to get their collective heads out of their asses. Remember the safety the defense got? Guess who punted it 55+ yards, down to the 1 yard line?

Who do you think had more to do with Sunday's loss? The punter/special teams or the defense? Seems pretty clear to me.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He's right to address the punting....it's horrible. Is anyone asking any tough questions about the D and the communication issues that have been plaguing us for years now and what exactly is the problem and how do we start to fix it? Also why this D would be underestimating any teams football IQ at this point....besides their own?

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    As I said, Berry was poor and I have no issue with working out punters, but I feel the bigger issue is the way the defense is playing. Did a KC WR/TE even have to make a contested catch on Sunday? Guys are running completely free in our secondary. Would calling out the D be pointing the finger at himself?

16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Looks like we may have cut the better Punter in camp. Who's call was that?

And this is a Defense thing. FFS.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course the D is the bigger issue. Calling out the D would be pointing a finger at himself because players are still using the communication issue as a excuse. So how could he blame the D and it's players when the scheme is failing them and they are underestimating opposing QBs IQs and don't seem to have a answer when they are not surprisingly wrong...." Ok we were wrong this guys pretty good,let's go to Plan B ....wait....what....there is no Plan B? I know lets just put Watt on their WR. It's such a shockingly terrible idea they'll never see it coming..."

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It looks like our coaches are like Wil-E....every time we try to turn the corner...we get flattened.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think the 2 punters stats are about the same so far this season. Probably should have brought in someone different all together.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You would have to look at the situational kicking. The stats won't tell you all you need to know. Berry can punt but the problem is his consistency. Whenever we need a good one we don't get it. Then he will boom 1 or 2 to skew his avg. it's more about being reliable when you need it most and he's shown he's not...

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Wile had one blocked (for a TD) Sunday too, not sure how that play into the stats, but I'm not sure he was the answer. He came out of college in '15 and hasn't stuck on a team yet, despite several tries.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

See...This is typical Tomlin Bull****...ALL the crap that is going on...Bell, AB,**** ass D, tie the ****in Browns...Same mistakes over and over...

And Tomlin...........Calls out the Punter.He always TRYS to act tough, and it's so fake and made up...That it's pathetic really

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right there should of been more competition at camp. It's a 90 man roster I think we could of squeezed another punter in or at least brought a bunch of guys in for a tryout. We'll see what happens but right now Berry is hurting us and it's nothing new and not just recent.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015