1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Mike Tomlin thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It will take a couple of horrible seasons just to have Tomlin on the hot seat.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have never been a Tomlin hater, and I still believe he has value. I am starting to question his value as a head coach however. I mean, he has been in in Pit for how long and still can't defend a tight end? I think even I could have come up with something to slow tight ends down in all that time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I had issues with Cowher too, but at least Cowher would clean house and replace OCs, DCs, position coaches, etc.... after a dismal year or playoff performance. Tomlin has his "good ole boy" network going... no accountability, especially on the D side. Steelers continue to try to pound a square peg into a round hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers like to be patient and trust the system. Tomlin had cowhers defense and cruised to a SB win, once they retired he has not built a championship caliber defense or anything close to it. Just regressing lol

5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... he's drafted some good WRs.

6. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    It's become glaringly obvious that the Steelers have become an undisciplined, sloppy, and inept mess in many ways. Mike Tomlin sit at the helm so he deserves every bit of the blame for
    Butler, who was so bad Tomlin took over meetings and called plays during games last year - and we still lost.
    Porter - Can anyone tell me why he's still on the team?
    ...no sense listing them all.

And it's not just the defense. Our offense and special teams kill us with penalties and the entire locker room seems like a soap opera there's so much drama going on. Our 1st three drives against KC were killed because of penalties and later in the came during the comeback attempts we also had stupid penalties that set drives back and took precious time off of the clock.

Tomlin sets the tone for our coaches and spearheads the entire team. Progression? Our draft picks have mostly seemed to regress!

I've never been on the hate Tomlin train before this year and I don't hate him now but if he doesn't get this ship back on course and turn things around in a big way he needs to be gone along with some other coaches. Winning season are good but winning playoff games and getting to the big dance are what really counts and we've failed to do that for far too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    The reality is whoever we replaced Mike Tomlin with would be the wrong choice. The same things will be said about bad coaching decisions. I just find it hard to replace a coach with a .645 win pct.

8. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I had no faith from early on. Someone said it in an early post, but this idiot has been suspect for some time now. He was blessed to have a talented team around him early on where he could hide in the shadows and let players make plays, but not necassarily coach. Well, the gig is up and everybody is seeing this fool for what he really is. No team discipline, horrible game and time management, no ability to make adjustments and basically lost in space most of the time with his phlisophical bulls$?@.

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We have a good replacement for Tomlin already on the staff. The O-line coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Oh a guy with a 22-26 head coaching record? Titans fans said the same things about him that people say about Mike Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Agreed no idea why so many people want Munchak. Is it just because he went to Penn State?

12. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I don’t see how Tomlin can survive being head coach of the Steelers without cleaning house.

Nothing gets players attention like the unknown about their job security. A new scheme will be good for us because:
    1. Everyone is going to be assessed from new eyes. Long gone will be the assurance that Players have been given due to rapport with the old coaching staff. Time to put the time in to prove your worth.
    2. Forces players to focus; everyone is learning a new system regardless of your tenure. Communication with your teammates is increasingly important. Because this a team sport, part of your ability to perform individually will be determined through the progression and trust that the player next to you does his job.
    3. Colbert and company will have to focus on our sefensive scouts and how we acquire certain players. We will have to get cornerstone players that we know can play the position as opposed to getting mid tier guys in hopes that they can be molded within our scheme. That holds true to draft picks; Aggressively get players that have shown production at the position vs pure potential and ultra athleticism. Ie. Burns, Dupree.

Next year, We will have more cap space than I can remember having in 15 years. Make the inevitable necessary cuts and we got more. Some people say we shouldn’t blow up our def. cuz the window is closing on a Super Bowl run, but I gotta tell you we have zero chance with what we have now. If there was ever a time to make changes it’s now! We will have the cap to help make the transition as fast as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon

" I didn't get out of coaching to get back into it. This is my next challenge and I'm planning to work hard at it."

14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A franchise QB can hide or cover up bad coaching. Look at the Colts when P. Manning was out for a season, a playoff team every year up to that point. And not didn't they make the playoffs but they went 2-14, how does a team that loses only 1 player go playoffs down to 2-14 in just 1 season? The reason is the same as to why Tomlin has a good winning percentage, he didn't have to build from the ground up, just maintain.

And look what the defense has become since he has been in charge, it has regressed a little every year. What has he done? We go from LeBeau to Butler and it still looks the same, we got the 3rd DB coach under his reign and it still looks the same, we had how many 1st round draft picks at LB and we had 1 outstanding player lost due to injury and outside of him the rest have been busts.

I think T.J. Watt is good, he is around the ball and can play the run but Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, I mean Jarvis was a bust and Dupree is a bust and they still picked up the 5th year option. I also think Tomlin's seat is warmer than everyone else thinks, last season it started. After the Jags game I heard a lot of media outlets blaming Tomlin and it lasted longer than it ever has before.

Now we are 2 bad games into a new season and Tomlin has already been getting blamed by at least 3 pundits and at least 5 or 6 sports writers. I know a lot here will say that the Rooney's won't budge but even they have to see that nothing is changing and it is getting worse, the team still struggle with the run and our secondary right now isn't fixable, no coach alone can undo the damage.

A new coach is needed with a fresh look into what players are kept and what ones are gone, a new philosophy needs to be put in place. For to long they have been content to work with guys that can't make any other NFL roster and put them not only on the depth chart but actual on the starting unit and then scratch their collective heads as to why it isn't working.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, some of us have been saying it for years. The guy is a bad head coach. Simple as that. He does nothing well. Nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Okay say they do fire Coach T. Who you think replaces him? Munchak ?NO WAY! he's a good line coach, not Head coach. i'm genuinely curious to hear some ideas here. Change is definitely needed, especially on Defense.

17. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    He gets to play the Browns and Bengals 4 times a year, 46 games only 8 losses 1 tie. That helps pad the stats. Imagine his winning percentage if he would have the team ready to play vs the bad teams they lose to that they are supposed to beat. He would be in the 70-80% range. They might have lost more if Ben didn't own Ohio.

Really the only percentage that counts is .533, 8-7 in playoff games. 3 wins since 2010.

He has had a HOF QB every year this has to be accounted for when talking about Tomlin and his OBVIOUSLY great statistics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    And Munchak didn't have near the talent pool with the Titans, that the Steelers have on offense and special teams. Yes, there is a vacuum of talent on D... but you can't tell me that Munchak would do any worse than Tomlin at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Imagine if NE had that attitude about Belichick.

If you look at what Munch does well, his attention to detail and where this team is seriously lacking, it makes sense. He seems like a no nonsense guy, too. Lineman are mean.

Add in the difference in talent between the Titans and the Steelers, it's a poor argument to use records as a reason to dismiss him as a candidate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You do have a point. I hate to keep using Pittsburgh Penguins examples, but Mike Sullivan was pretty lousy his first stint at head coach with the Boston Bruins years ago. So you never know.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    John DeFilippo? Kris Richard? Not sure, but Tomlin isn't getting it done, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I know, just wishful thinking.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not sold on Mahomes and expect him to be another QB disappointment for the chefs. I guess that would be different if he could play against the Steelers D every week.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Right on, munch didn't get handed a playoff ready team like tomlin did, and they only fired munch because they wanted him to fire his coaching staff which he refused to do being loyal to his staff, you could bet if tomlin had that ultimatum he would fire his coaching staff to save his own job...

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    For some reason this game was the tipping point that got a lot of staunch coach-defenders onboard. I've seen him defended through bigger debacles then this, I guess it was a cumulative effect.