1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Gameday Thread Steelers vs Ratbirds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jan 1, 2023.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That “He gave himself up” call was total BS. How many times has a receiver gotten up and took off to the end zone after realizing he was untouched. Then of course Collinsworth praised the refs for the awareness the Ravens player’s knee was down and got up and walked backwards “that was some fine refereeing there.” Had the player gotten up and scored he would have praised him for his awareness. I don’t care how many times you review that, it was a fumble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Didn't hurt that Calais Campbell was out of the game.

3. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Funny that they were so quick to say he was giving himself up but Kenny laid there for what felt like an eternity and the whistle didn't blow until someone touched him.
    Is that rule only applied situationally then? Only when time is a factor?

4. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    That is literally the definition of a troll. They likely could be fans of other teams who come here to stir sh!t up. Makes it even better for them when they get a response.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    To an extent, seems to be up to ref interpretation if a player has given himself up. In the context of the game situation at the time of the play, refs were looking for a give up as Ratbirds were trying to save time.

I hope there is something in the rules that is very clear when a player has given himself up, not relying on game situation as main factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    There's too much gray area with this. I don't care for situational officiating. I see too much of that in the NHL. Offenses already have too many advantages. These "give up" plays should be handled the same way as they are when time isn't necessarily a factor. So, if Andrews continue to lay on the ground waiting for a touch from a defensive player, then the clock should continue to wind, same as it would halfway through the first quarter if the defensive players stand there without contact.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Your only post in the last 10 days is this!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He was never touched.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do know that Michael McDonald also sang on some Steely Dan songs correct....:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I could fully see it the other way as something Bellichick would do: team trying to save time, player goes down, nobody touches him to let the clock wind down.

It was a nonsense call - I don’t believe Andrews gave himself up, he thought he was down by contact and got up to reset. We’ve all seen players do the same in the NFL (plaxico for example) and there was no “he gave himself up” bs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I was always under the impression that the whistle ends the play. So IMO, that was a fumble.

Refs were kind of awful last night, not just on that play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Once again, they're seems to be some confusion here, and once again it's not on my end.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just watched a replay of game on NFL Network. I know it's way early but that drive against a decent Ravens D, especially in their home, reminded me of one of Ben's late comebacks. Najee pushing Kenny for first down was epic. Kenny got poise for sure. He could be surrounded by a decent cast, time and a sweet first two draft picks will tell. I get KC, Buffalo, Jags, and Bengals got stud QB's for awhile but I can see this Steeler team giving them hell. Kind of wish it was an 18 game season;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He was never down by contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. They were horrible. The Ravens kept running that one play to the right side, with Ricard trying to kick out Watt, and the right tackle held the defensive end just about every time and was never called.

The penalty on Heyward was a joke.

Regarding Andrews giving himself up, part of the problem is the rule. There is no signal for it. That said, no way in hell should that not be a fumble, but in the case of Pickett, they waited until he was touched. They didn't call it consistently within the game. Andrews didn't take a knee. He fell down. He should have to wait to be touched, or if the Steelers refused to do so, then the officials blow the whistle. The whistle had not blown when he stood up, so that play should have been live. At the very least, they screwed it up by not blowing the whistle.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree. And for everyone's clarity (because I wasn't 100% sure myself), here is the official NFL rule concerning "giving yourself up":

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/down-by-contact/

Now, reading section D, Andrews clearly did not kneel, nor did he slide. He fell, but IIRC he fell in the effort to catch the ball - I don't think that constitutes giving himself up. However, the rule is vague in that sense as its open to interpretation by the refs. How do you judge intent?

But the real bottom line for me, as you also stated - the whistle did not blow. Therefore, that was a live play, and that was a fumble.

My guess, and call it conspiracy because it very well could be just that - is that NY buzzed the refs and ensured that they called it "down by giving one self up" so as not to end the game that way. Bad optics, yadda yadda.

Still stinks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:
    Well put.:thumbs_up: