1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official GameDay Thread Steelers vs Jaguars

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 20, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With any luck, perhaps Mason could fetch us one via trade?!

SteelersDepot has a trade suggestion of Mason being dealt to Minnesota for Wyatt Davis. I was a huge Wyatt Davis fan coming out of Ohio State and thought he should have been taken in the top 50 picks.

More info can be found here. That said though, I do agree with you that it is high time the Steelers spent a First Round pick on an Offensive Lineman; Tackle or Guard being the top two choices. I would also vouch for center by sadly Knox, as it stands currently, I see very few good options currently in the upcoming draft... for now. This could always change.. but me personally, it is long overdue an Offensive Tackle becomes a Steelers First Round pick.

For that matter, here is hoping Andy Weidl changes that. In his previous works with the likes of Philly, Baltimore and New Orleans, building in the trenches was something he greatly coveted. For that matter, know of a legendary Steeler named Alan Faneca?! Weidl was the one who went to bat for his draft selection back in the day. Safe to say "Big Red" turned out okay. Time to find a blue chip talent at Offensive Tackle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Had Pickett struggled in that Jacksonville game I would advise against this. However, since the Jacksonville game, I have now warmed up more to the idea of Pickett starting. My only major concern is that while I will trust Pickett to use those legs a bit more when he starts, how often is the determining factor here. Not too big a fan of seeing a young QB get whacked when carrying the ball.

Not to say Pickett is not smart upon sliding or diving. Just due to the nature and high speed of the game that "bang bang" plays will happen every now and then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Those fans who ranted about how stupid it was to draft a RB in the first round last year when you need O-line help really look like geniuses now.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not that anyone is "happy" or not. The real assessment is that if a QB that has 5 years in the league and the starting experience that Mason has.... if he COULDN'T take his team down the field against a group of guys who will likely find themselves on practice squads and out of football, he likely would be someone you'd consider cutting. Not starting.

It's not that Mason doesn't belong in the NFL. He certainly does. He's a fine back up QB.... he has too many deficiencies that will prevent him from ever being a competent starter, and at this point of his career it is highly unlikely that these areas improve significantly enough to change that (pocket awareness, lack of mobility, short passing game, etc.). It doesn't take an NFL scout to see that he is very clearly the 3rd best QB on this team (and its not really that close). We are lucky that we have someone like Trubisky so we don't have to rush Pickett, and that the kid we just drafter 20th overall looks like he is going to be a very good player a lot sooner than anyone thought was possible. In two preseason games he looks better than Mason has at any single point in his career. That is a great problem to have.

I'm happy that Mason is playing well. I honestly don't wish ill on him just because he wasn't good enough to be the next great Steeler QB. But I also don't feel the need to throw a party for the kid when he puts up 9 points in the second half of a preseason game against bunch of second, third, and fourth stringers. There's no need to overstate it. Its either Kenny or Mitch. That's the reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    Starting to think Mason has a small cult following. It's twilight zone stuff.

He's nowhere NEAR being a franchise QB, so you move on. Period. Geez is it that hard to understand??????/

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You're nitpicking. You want to say the safety he took was bad? Fine, it was. The choice to throw to Vaughns in the left corner of the endzone wasn't his finest choice either. However, Heyward got open, and Rudolph threw the ball where his receiver was the only one that could make a play. No, the throw wasn't perfect. However, you're making it appear worse than it was to fit the narrative that Rudolph has no place on this team and should be traded for a used mesh football bag. Please. I understand the business in a rudimentary sense. I wouldn't hate a trade for a capable tackle or inside linebacker involving Rudolph plus whatever if necessary. But honestly, with the way this line is currently constructed, I'd feel much better if they kept Rudolph around because their QB's are going to take a beating. I can't say for certain that Mason Rudolph is not now nor will ever be an average starting NFL QB. More likely, he will be a capable career back-up. I bristle at the venom, whether real or imagined that is generated toward him. Of all the concerns this team has as currently constructed, Rudolph is well down the list in my humble opinion. You want to continually hammer him while Rome burns, have at it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    It
    I never said he should start, I was trying to say the hate towards him is unwarranted... Also my point on the o line issue stands... they might need all of them...
    Other than that I thought you made great points in a very reasonable way... I also think Rudolph is better than you & many have given him a chance to be... I don't think trubisky has been that great but his escapability is a plus... The rooks looked good at times, maybe the next, but it's been said many times b4 & it's looking like a rough year to learn... experience maybe valuable

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Our next pre-season is against the Lions. I've been watching them on and off on HBO Hard Knocks. That organization seems so confused. Those rumors of Mason heading to Detroit I'm guessing are not true but if it happened I'd be happy if he led the lions to a respectable season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    All those guys you are referring to looked like busts until Munchak arrived. When injuries happened on the online the backups looked so good you questioned if we over paid the starters. David DeCastro was so uncoordinated he dove into Pouncey’s knee. Let’s not act like these guys were stars from day one.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I get what you're saying bc some ppl are just unreasonable... but Mason has had enough chances. He hasn't gotten no love bc he has had no chances. He just squandered the multiple chances he had here. Kenny passed him by and we went and signed someone better in Trubisky bc we felt as an organization that we needed someone better than Mason. I agree tho. Our OL has looked rough. Might not want to kill the rookie haha

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All the good offensive tackles were gone by the time the Steelers picked last year, drafting anybody else in the first round would've been reach.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I wanted Steelers to get OT instead of RB in '21. With that said, I'm glad we have Harris. The previous year, I wanted Steelers to pick RB Dobbins over WR Claypool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1