1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire Keith Butler Immediately Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by harristotle, Sep 16, 2018.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We might have to go into the college ranks to get a DC. Or bring someone out of retirement. We will need a strong DC that would put Tomline in his place. You stay as the HEAD COACH not psuedo DC.

2. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I waited a bit to post this because I wanted to make sure I wasn't saying it just because I was ticked off right after a game. I thought about it and I think firing Butler isn't good enough. I think it is long past time for a wholesale house-cleaning on the defensive side of the ball. I can't think of any position where guys are doing what they are supposed to be doing. I think you need Butler and all of the position coaches and the scouts gone. Seem drastic...maybe, but no one can tackle or cover. We're not just bad schematically, we have no talent on defense outside of maybe one or two guys (Heyward and Watt). How many draft picks have we wasted on defensive guys who are complete busts? With the time we've spent in drafting guys our defense should be getting better, but at best it is standing still. Who is evaluating these guys? How many times have we heard how high the coaches are on Sutton? Where was he today? Our front office is so arrogant that they think they can take every late round pick and turn them into Rod Woodson. And the one time we take a CB in round 1 (Burns) he's not good. We passed on a lot of talent this year to take Edmunds and so far I am underwhelmed (though to be fair, I didn't like Troy in his rookie year either and I was dead wrong).

It is also time to start making splashes in free agency because our front office talent evaluators are not as good as they think they are with our picks.

I'd clean house tomorrow on the defense and then Tomlin goes at the end of the year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Just like after the Jags game the oc will be the one to get fired lol... Tomlin's honeymoon in having Ben save his ass is about over.. Last years Jags game with 3 plus mins left when u should kick it deep they onside it. Today with under 2 mins left when u should onside it he kicks it deep lol.. I mean how much longer do we have to watch this wide eyed moron on the sidelines

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. Many here wanted to sweep that fact under the rug though when using our defensive rankings like they were some sort of proof of a competent defense...There are top draft picks all over this D so either our drafting is bad or our coaching is bad. I lean heavily towards the coaching...

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We did send Hilton a few times. We bumped the TE exactly 0 times. I don't know why it's so hard for our coaches to comprehend that you can't generate pressure playing a soft zone behind it especially with everyone getting a free release...it's common sense.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    it was basically like Reid rolling bones on the sideline to see who got the ball next. There were 5 guys in the pattern get in their pocket and make them fight for their route. Nope just gonna sit here in soft zone and hope the ball floats towards us.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not too soon. He is over his head. What's new about the defense since lebeau let? Its descending quickly. I miss the mad scientist

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just think about this. If we fire Butler there’s a good chance Joey Porter takes over for at least the rest of the season.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    will he blitz everyone on every down? That might be better at this point.

10. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    At some point this all falls on the Head Coach and the FO.

The DB and LB evaluations by this staff are terrible. Most of the guys we draft (especially DB's) never stick on the roster.

Belichick is the best coach in the game because he's not afraid to change. They ran the 3-4 zone blitz style of defense for years until guys like Teddy Bruschi, Adalius Thomas, etc left. They went to 4-3 and it works.

We should have changed to a 4-3 years ago. It never ceases to amaze me how Tomlin, Butler, Colbert, etc continue to jam a square peg into a round hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kirk d smith

kirk d smith Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018

12. kirk d smith

kirk d smith Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I agree with you totally it's time for Tomlin to go. There's no excuse for giving up 6 TD's

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Id love to hear a Joey Porter DC post game presser. He'd flip out on the media before the 3rd week.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Anything is better than trying nothing. This isn't Butlers first year he's been around a long time even if it wasn't with the title of DC....hell he doesn't deserve the title now...

15. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    They are arrogant. The only explanation that makes sense is that they think they can do no wrong. They are resting on front office laurels made by guys in the past. What I want to know is why ownership is letting this go on for so long.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Bellichick takes lesser talent and actually puts them in a position to succeed. He makes his available talent accountable and he makes them better. Do our coaches make our guys better....I already know the answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    It's be more entertaining than listening to Tomlin. At this point since the play on the field isn't entertaining, at least the press conferences would give us something fun to watch.

18. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I’ve said it in many other posts. Tomlins ass once Ben retires will be exposed. The way things are going that will be as soon as 2019

19. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    How Mike Tomlin still has a Fing job is unbelievable at this point. How much more do we need to see????

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m ok with a change. I just know there’s a lot of hate for Porter as a coach around here. If Butter is fired he probably is the interim DC.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Coach Tomlin totally explained it, they didn't cover effectively. Yeah that was the problem I totally see it now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Even if they would fire Butler they are still left with a def that cant cover. We all know the problem is drafting to solve this never ending problem of being a team that has zero chance to stop the pass , or come up with a big stop. All we hear is Ben is done ,but can you imagine playing on a team that you have zero confidence in your def

23. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I don’t put to much into what Terry Bradshaw has to say but his comment today” The Steelers in the off season fire their offensive coordinator but keep their defensive coordinator after giving up 45 to the Jaguars in last year’s playoff game is a head scratcher to me” is spot on.Most of us were happy Haley was out but that wasn’t the glaring weakness!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We're not going to fire Kieth 2 games into the season. It's not the Pitt way of doing things and it wouldn't be smart.

We're great @ picking WRs but we've always sucked picking Cbs.
    "Wait a minute...."
    Wonder how DHB we be @ CB?

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How do we know it's the talent? How do we know these guys aren't being asked to play schemes that are too complicated and ineffective? Like I said we have top picks all over this D. I've seen new coordinators go to teams and turn a weakness into a strength or at least a competent unit. Right now we are still seeing communication issues they vowed all offseason to fix....that's coaching.