1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~OFFICIAL 2024 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I get all that just saying it’s not a vote for how you think the Steelers will draft, it’s who you want them to draft.

It’s your vote though, do with as you wish.

2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
  3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Tough call with Latham, Mims, and Guyton all on the board... and Fuaga? I gave up on him falling to 20 awhile ago.

Still, I'm sticking with center here. Not as much depth at the position as tackle in this draft, and passing on tackle again potentially increases the depth for us to take in the third, and/or creates the chance a WR from the early second falls as teams scoop up the OL talent.

Jackson Power-Johnson, C, University of Oregon

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    So much depends on how much credit you put into RAS scores, coaches meetings, and dinners used to be the clincher.

5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    For me it burns that we didn't land Cushenberry or Biadasz in free agency so we aren't staring at the hole we currently have in the middle. Fuaga, Latham, Mims, and Guyton would all be great pieces to bookend with Jones.

Unless there's something I don't know about Herbig.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    What do you know about Herbig?

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Extremely tough choice here.... Powers-Johnson is a human forklift in the middle, while Fuaga and Mims are major people movers on the right..... worst part is that neither pick would be wrong.....
    I'll throw my vote for Taliese Fuaga, as there are other viable options at C that should be available in the next rd, while we would be seriously rolling the dice at OT if we wait

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I officially vote for JPJ.

The Steelers two biggest needs right now are Center and Wide Receiver. It makes sense to fill a need here. The Steelers can get by with Dan Moore at tackle. They can not get by with Herbig at Center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How much more time for voting? I need to watch a bit of film on the tackles. I have been watching centers, and I am a NO on JPJ at pick #20. I like Frazier better, especially with the wide zone blocking and second level blocking by linemen that Smith favors. JPJ is as good as it gets in a phone booth, but in the games I watched he was less and less effective the further he got from his own piece of ground in the middle. I’d rather make a big upgrade upgrade at tackle and settle for Van Pran than spend pick #20 on a center that doesn’t fit our OC’s game plan.

For now put me down for Fuaga. What little I have seen of Fuaga shows a dominating run blocker who punishes defenders. He looks mobile enough to do it in a ZBS. Hell, he’d probably get off on burying one guy, then passing his beaten-down first victim off to another blocker while he goes off to punish a LB. If I have chance to watch the top RT prospects before voting closes, I may edit this.

*Edit - I’m sticking with Fuaga as my vote, but I have really liked what little tape I’ve seen of Mims. The problem is, there’s so little. Even watching a game where he was healthy, #73 took a couple of series from him. He’s averaged around 300 snaps/year the past couple of seasons. Does he get tweaky injuries and need to sit for a series to get over them? Does he lack stamina? He’s surprisingly smooth, efficient and effective on tape for a guy who doesn’t play much, but that lack of snaps scares me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am voting for Jackson Powers-Johnson.

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Mind blowing that 3 STUD OT's are STILL available at 20...don't remember anything like that before

I vote Mims

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The stat that amazed me about Fuaga is that he gave up a grand total of zero sacks in his entire career at Oregon State. He never once guessed wrong or was late getting off the line of scrimmage and was beaten for a sack in 25 career games at RT. At 6'6" 335 he is a monster in the run game too.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Vote Tally

Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State: 5

Jackson Power-Johnson, C, University of Oregon: 5

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia: 2

This is what we got so far. Feel free to check my tally.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m a little surprised with how awful and how much the team has suffered with poor play at center that people are passing on the best one in the draft.

From the draft network:

Powers-Johnson has very good size for the position and is an outstanding athlete. In the run game, Powers-Johnson flashes excellent athleticism and excels in a zone-based running scheme. He works very well laterally and is outstanding with his footwork and angles to create gaps for his running back. He displays good power overall and will drive his defender back when he gets a hat on a hat. Powers-Johnson has a relentless motor and plays with the type of physicality you want in an offensive lineman, consistently playing through the whistle. Powers-Johnson is outstanding at working in space and is an extremely coordinated big man. He can land on moving targets and is quick enough to get out on wide zone and screens.

In the passing game, Powers-Johnson shows an above-average anchor to stymie bull rushers. He lacks length and will allow defenders to win his chest plate at times. His edges will get exposed at times when facing top-end interior rushers who win with quickness off the snap.

Powers-Johnson is a highly cerebral player who makes all the calls up front. A team captain, Powers-Johnson is a player you want to build your offensive line around and his passion and love for the game is evident when you watch the tape. Powers-Johnson is still a young and ascending player but his physical talent and upside are undeniable and he will be a high-end starting center in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I have no problems with JPJ, and if he is our pick, I'm not going to take my ball and go home. I just feel that Fuaga is a far better value at pick 20, that it's a position of need, and that we tend to overvalue certain players and positions (Darnell Washington, anybody). While many early March mocks had JPJ going sometimes as high as 16, later March and early April mocks are seeing him drop late in the first or early second. Heck, one NFL.com mock had us taking JPJ with our second round pick. Picking at 20 and getting the second or third best tackle out of an outstanding tackle class would be a no brainer any other year.

16. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I hear you and what you are saying makes a lot of sense. It's just that Fuaga is still there at #20 when I thought that he would be gone by now. The prospect of the next decade of bookend tackles of Jones and Fuaga is hard to pass up. But if the choice is Powers-Johnson then I will be greatly pleased with that also.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It would certainly be a good problem to have if all three of the guys we are voting on are still there, wouldn’t be angry at any of those selections but to me we have a serviceable player in Moore but nothing at center. I think JPJ and Fuaga are close enough that you go with the bigger need. JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Once our draft went 3WRs in a row at picks 4,5,&6 it threw the OT order off. There are literally 9-OTs that I have seen mocked to the 1st round. When you start talking about the DBs, defensive front7, QBs, and the Centers we have been coveting on top of that, position of need values change. There is about to be a run on OTs and the Steelers have their pick of the litter at 20. Minus Alt and Olu, which we weren't expecting anyway.

19. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    In the real draft I would take Fuaga here and then do our darndest to trade back into the late first and take Frazier. But you having me waffling on my Fuaga choice. If it comes down to a tie vote I might switch to JPJ because Frazier won't last to #51.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I see three tiers of tackles- 1st tier is Alt and Fashanu, the latter only because he is a left tackle. 2nd tier is Fuaga, Mims, and Latham, primarily tight tackles. Third tier is Fautanu (could be second), Suamataia, Guyton, Morgan, and maybe Paul. The drop off between 2 and 3 is large, anything after 3 is way larger. No one after 3 is going to help us much this year, and it's unlikely anyone 3 and under is there for our 2nd round pick.
    As far as most of us are concerned, Barton, JPJ, and Frazier are all pretty much a lock to start day one. Van Pran-Granger will be starting mid-year. Most of the teams "looking for centers" already have serviceable ones on their rosters. They will go for the more valuable positions- WR, T, Edge, CB. I just don't see three centers going by 51, or reasonably close for a trade up.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the Steelers should take the best player on the board, so you can change my vote from Mims to Fuaga as I have him ranked a lot hirer than JPJ.

I still think Mims has the bigger upside, but Fuaga will be a week 1 starter.

22. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    At least we all seem to be agreed on OL. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We have a couple more hours before calling this thing so those of you that havent voted be sure to get those in.

Brice, if it ends up in a tie your vote will go to Fuaga.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, we do have the guy who wants Spencer Rattler here, but no one told him about the mock draft.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I don't think in the real draft he will still be available to us, but if he is:

Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State