1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2016 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Our current 2nd and 3rd best safeties are Golden and Shamarko Thomas. Safety is a need too. While safety is deep this year, I think there's a drop off at the position between now and our 3rd round pick. I would not reach for a corner when a safety that I think is clearly a superior player is available. I've watched Miller. I see all 3 of the safeties being discussed for this pick as being clearly superior players to Miller. Just because safety is deep this year doesn't mean that they're all equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    My pick is a C.B. so I say Miller.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    SE, I guess where my opinion lies is the fact that if we wait until next round for safety then the drop off is minimal then the drop off at CB. My feeling is that both are big needs but I feel if we lose out on Miller then there is a major drop off in the next guy....imo. At safety I don't feel that way, I like Sean Davis a ton he showed good skills in the Shrine game, and Dillon played well too in what I saw of him. I know I have had this "man crush" on Miller but when you watch him he has instincts you can't teach. He follows the ball and always has his head up I love that in a CB, his only knock is the small school thing and she showed in the SR bowl he can play with the big boys. He was voted D player of the week there and that says a lot.

I don't normally try to force guys on people but I feel if we miss him here he won't be there in the 3rd and we would miss out on a very special player, imo. I have said this before watching this guy he is a top 20 player if he played at OSU........jmo. :cool:

My vote is HARLAN MILLER...........:clapping:

4. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    I think I'm the one that's confused. I saw Bell listed as FS on one of the NFL.com mock drafts. If he's SS, Mitchell could stay put at FS.

My pick remains Bell.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I really like Harlan Miller but that's a big reach at this spot.

Someone posted about Bell vs. Thompson and SS/FS talk. Mike Mitchell, despite his big hits is a free safety all the way. The Steelers want someone that can play in the box at the SS spot. That being said, I'm not sure that necessarily means they go with a Cash or Cravens type of guys that can only play in the box.

My vote is Darian Thompson.

Thompson and Mitchell gives them a lot of options to mix and match coverages, but he's more than capable of playing in the box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect that and somewhat agree, yeah he is a reach but I have been reading a lot about him climbing the boards. With that said if we wait and miss out that is even bigger problem, jmo. I think all the S mentioned are good as well, what a nice problem to have choosing from good players. Also love the back and forth with you guys cause we all have our own opinions and rankings but to look at this thru someone else's eyes is cool too, love this time of the year.........I still stick with Miller....lol! If I had to choose between Bell and Thompson I would choose Thompson, jmo

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I wasn't a big fan of going DT in round 1 but I'm not going to force a need pick in the 2nd round. Clearly the Safeties here are much more talented than the CBs.

Another reason why it is fun to do this exercise. It's clear if we want a quality CB, do it in Round 1 because round 2 looks awfully bare. Based on need and how the draft looks I'd like to do the following with our picks.

1 - CB
    2 - S
    3 - DT or OLB
    4 - OLB or DT
    6 - WR
    7a - ILB
    7b - OT/OG

I wouldn't hesitate to trade down in Round 1 either but that's easier said than done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    A lot of this I agree with however where my opinion is different then most is I have Miller rated higher and with the run on CB's ahead of us and the fact we went DT in round 1 has me worried if we don't pull the trigger here with Miller we may miss out. I feel you can't go with what you read or what other "experts" have ranked you have to watch to see what I am saying. Someone also posted a clip on Frankie Williams who is going to be a stud for someone in the later rounds.

I like how you have the positions broke down by rounds and if the board falls right I would like to see this happen.

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    This is looking like a 2 horse race between Thompson and Bell. To help move us closer to resolution, I'm going to revise my vote to Thompson.

Because this is a close vote (so far), I'll suggest to gpguy and the other mods that we keep voting open until sometime this evening (maybe 8 PM eastern?) so that folks who can't check in during the day have an opportunity to cast votes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Does that mean if I can't change everyones mind on Miller and he falls out of consideration can I change my vote tonight? Again Vote Miller........:applaud:

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you need to go with one of the safties being voted on here over Miller. Just for basic draft strategy. I feel if you take Miller over any of them then you are passing on a superior safety in RD 2 to grab a lesser safety in rd 3 just in order to grab an average CB in rd 2 (sorry NY).

Also, not allowed to change picks once they are made. So unless the other committee members are ok with it, Turtle is probably stuck with his original pick. I wont object if its voted ok but that may be opening a can of worms.

But, I'll defer to my committee brothers, most of them have been doing this longer than me. Whatever they decide is fine with me.

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I haven't got to watch any tape of Miller yet. Not alot of South Eastern Louisiana games on my radar this year. I will try to do that. I was just off average size, slow forty time, and ok production.

13. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Sounds good to me.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Got to reply a bit more. You've said that you like Miller, but in another post you acknowledge that he's a bit of a reach at this point. I'm going to infer from those statements that you agree that the safeties here are better players than Miller.

The draft is a long-term decision. We expect our draft picks to be with us for at least 4 years. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where we reach for position to try and fill an immediate need (with a guy who's probably not going to be ready immediately anyway no less), and pass on a better talent at another position of need. That's a decision we could regret pretty quickly.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm fine with Thompson. Steelers showed more interest in him and would better reflect their intentions imo.

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'll stir the pot and bit and cast my vote for Baylor cb Xavien howard

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast I understand where your coming from as far as changing picks and I agree I will stay with Miller.

Now this is where you and I disagree I don't feel Miller is an average CB, like I said if he played at OSU or Bama he would imo be a top 20 pick. I watched a lot of CB's and this kid has the best instincts I have seen so far. I like him a ton and if people would watch him they would understand, how much have you watched of him and what did you see?

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Let me clear something up SE, I might have phrased it wrong. I am saying a lot of people here base their picks on what they read and what others rank him as. Saying that I am pleading my case as he may be a bit of a reach to others. I personally feel like I just stated above this kid is top 20 talent. jmo. Therefore I do not feel these safeties are better, I feel Thompson is a better coverage option then Bell and also plays the run pretty good. I have Miller ranked a lot higher and to be honest I have Sean Davis ranked pretty close to these safeties so taking him in round 3 or 4 imo wouldn't be that big of a drop off.

I feel both S and CB are need positions and I am not trying to draft need here but value and I see imo that say Miller and Davis are better value the say Thompson and Cyrus Jones.

Sorry if I lead ya in the wrong direction with my opinions before..... :smiley1:

20. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The level of competition with OSU and Bama is a lot different than SE Louisiana. Big fish small pond?

21. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Vonn Bell, SS, Ohio State.

22. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Darian Thompson S Boise State

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks I didn't know that, when Miller played against said bigger fish at the sr bowl all he did was get defensive player of the week:

http://www.seniorbowl.com/news-highlights-detail.php?news=462

I get what your saying and agree but talent is talent, IMO this guy has it and has shown it.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    B&G, I watched his film and it is bad. I am amazed how he is ranked this high....FWIW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

I've seen his film, and watched a few games of his and saw a big corner that fits what we do on defense.......
    He tracks the ball well in the air, has very good game speed and is a sure tackler that isn't afraid to lower his shoulder pads and deliver a good stick....
    With a little development, he could easily become a #1 or 2 corner