1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2015 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My vote........ Gerod Holliman**, S, Louisville

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm reading up on some of the other names that have been suggested. I may change my vote from Yeldon

Update: GP, I'm gonna go with Golson if that's alright. We can get another RB later in the draft. Golson seems like a good addition to our secondary

3. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sanchez ghosting

4. winggin

Oct 23, 2011
    Haha kidding. I'm not drunk. Just very hung...

5. winggin

Oct 23, 2011
    ... over. Golston is my pick. I have a few later round RBs in mind.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My thoughts, I'm not a fan of drafting Golson in the 3rd. He's a nickel/slot corner and if that is what is desired I preferr Charles Gaines. Now we've already drafted Rowe, who I think would be better playing safety in the pros. Now.if that's the plan and we still need a true corner then I'd draft Jacoby Glenn. He's a bit too aggressive and needs polishing technique wise bit with a year or coaching I feel he'll be a real solid corner in 2016.

I know there will be more RB later but Yeldon is special and dangerous with the ball in his hands. Real Hard to pass on a weapon like him in the 3rd.

Now that Troy is officially done safety is a point of concern. Derron Smith would make a solid pick in the 3rd as a future FS.

Just some random thoughts.

Cajun

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeldon has fumbled 8 times in the last 2 years, he fumbles once every 62 touches. He'd seriously need to improve upon his ball security in the NFL or that number will be even worse.

I think Rowe is a special player, plays two positions very well, last year was his first as a CB and he did a good job, I suspect he will get even better at it as he continues to learn the position, I don't think he has reached his ceiling at all. Butler could get creative with a guy like that.

Here's a list of prospects and their fumble ratio. Number on the left is how many touches before fumbling and number on the right is hand size.

35.4 -- Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska (8 5/8)
    52.2 -- Kenny Hilliard, LSU (9 1/4)
    54.4 -- Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (9 3/4)
    62.2 -- T.J. Yeldon, Alabama (9)
    62.6 -- Jay Ajayi, Boise State (10)
    63.2 -- Matt Jones, Florida (8 5/8)
    72.3 -- Tevin Coleman, Indiana (8 5/8)
    74.5 -- David Cobb, Minnesota (9 3/8)
    77.5 -- David Johnson, Northern Iowa (9 5/8)
    80.0 -- Javorius Allen, USC (9 3/8)
    85.0 -- Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.) (9 1/4)
    87.3 -- Mike Davis, South Carolina (9 3/8)
    91.5 -- Josh Robinson, Mississippi State (10 1/8)
    92.7 -- Karlos Williams, Florida State (9 3/4)
    123.2 -- Jeremy Langford, Michigan State (8 3/4)
    125.0 -- Terrence Magee, LSU (9)
    134.4 -- Zach Zenner, South Dakota State (9 5/8)
    136.0 -- Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn (8 7/8)
    156.3 -- Dominique Brown, Louisville (9 1/2)
    191.7 -- Todd Gurley, Georgia (10)
    619.0 -- Malcolm Brown, Texas (10 1/4)

8. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    I dont think there is any way we go defense in the first 3 rounds in real life. If we do, I truly hope we arent gonna draft a slot corner. If we go defense, I would prefer either safety position, or even another olb.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Ok....it looks like we finally have a clear winner....

So I'm going to call it now.

Results:

S - G Holliman - 1
    S - D. Smith - 1
    OL - D. Smith 1
    RB - Yeldon - 2
    De - M. Edwards - 2
    OLB - M. Golden - 2

and the winner...

CB - S. Golson - 7

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think his fumbling issue is something that would scare me away from him. There are plenty of special NFL runners who have had issues with ball security at one point or another (McCoy, Peterson, Murray, etc.). It's something that can be improved too (like Tiki Barber). IMO Yeldon would be a great back up to Bell, and possibly BPA in this scenario.

also, I'm curious about where you think Rowe fits in the NFL? Do you like him better as a FS or a CB? Seems to me that he is a better fit at safety, but I was just wondering about your thoughts on him.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He might improve or he might not, if I had no other backs to choose from, that would be different but there are some other guys I like, I think Mike Davis does similar things as Bell which would make him a good backup and could be had later.

Rowe is a better safety and ironically, the experience he gained at CB would only improve him as a safety, as they are being asked to cover TE's more but I'd play him at both, could help a DC disguise coverages more effectively. I also think he can improve at CB as he has only played there 1 year.

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We seriously dropped the ball drafting Rowe... I did not like the pick. If we were going for a corner there were better available. Golson in the 3rd is a much higher value pick. If we wanted him as safety there were better available. The two corners we picked won't equal what we could have had in one pick.

Just feeling frustrated..................

Cajun

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I strongly disagree. Rowe was a solid pick and Golson is not a high value pick IMO. Besides...you wanted to draft Yeldon with that pick, but passed on him in the 3rd. :shrug:

14. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013

I'm in agreement with you Cajun. Loved our first pick (which I was around to vote on) haven't liked the other 2. I think we overdrafted on Rowe and Golson (I wasn't around to vote for either DAMN WEEKENDS).

Not that my vote would have changed the outcome but it would have been for Walford in the 2nd and Holliman in the 3rd.

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It's been an ok draft so far. I usually come away a little disappointed with the Steeler voting, and this is no exception, but I can live with all our picks.

Dupree brings promise and macho athleticism. We could work with him and while his production has been inconsistent there's enough on tape (see Mizzou) that shows he can dominate. While I don't think our OLB situation is as dire as some make it out to be, I'm indifferent on the Dupree pick. (Jalen Collins was my vote)

Rowe I literally know nothing about. I have not researched him at all, other than reading his blurb on NFL.com. He's another athletic size/speed guy like Dupree but at a position we really need depth at (CB, and to a lesser extent, safety). He's becoming a hot topic in the media draft circles and some respected folks on this board really like him. I love picking DB's, so I like the pick. I wanted Ifo, who I think could be the CB in this draft, but Rowe appears to be no slouch and can play FS if need be. And we may need him to. (Ifo was my vote)

Golson is valued right where he should be, somewhere around the 3rd. He could be a lucky team's slot CB for the next decade. I'll take that in the 3rd any day. He brings depth and talent to our most woeful position. I like the pick, and picking were getting slim. (I voted for Golson)

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    You do know this isn't real right...? ;)

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    WHAT!!!!!!!!!

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL well, I feel his pain because last years selections didn't meet my approval :lolol:

I don't really know if the Steelers would go defense with the first 3 picks but I'd be very happy with this draft so far if it were real. I don't know much about Golson, checked him out briefly after Elvis threw his name in the ring, what I learned about him I liked but mostly am going off Elvis referral for that one. Dupree and Rowe, I love those picks, I think Rowe is being very underestimated. Time will tell I guess.

Next rd needs to be offense, RB or TE, not sure if any OL will be left worth taking, Donovan will probably be gone. Have to look to see who else is left.

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Golson is a high value pick in the 3rd when compared to Rowe in the 2nd. I like Rowe, he'll be a good player but he isn't ready to be a corner in the NFL right now... he needs time to develop, and may be better suited playing safety and again, there were better safeties there.

I do like Yeldon, still think he would help this team more. A one two punch with Bell/Yeldon would make us even more dangerous offensively. I did throw Derron Smith's name into the ring because from a defensive stand point, he is the best safety left and Troy is gone, like I explained then, and it also seemed everyone was down on a RB now ( always get one later )..... I've already spoke on this point earlier with Blast.

I know Mayock has Rowe in his top 5 corners.... I don't have his credentials, I highly respect his opinion and value it........but I really see things differently from him this year..... He also has Shaq Thompson as a top safety....nope, he's top WIL LB!!! Dupree ahead of Shane Ray...nope!! Alex Carter as a top safety...nope, a top 10 corner........ But who am I but a novice.

Cajun

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I will freaking blow a gasket if we draft a TE in the next 4 PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait.....Wait.....this isn't real is it???!!? Whew!!

Cajun

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TE baby! :yahoo:

Theres a good chance they will in the real draft, you know that right :lolol:

22. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Breathe brethren!

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    With the 27th pick in the 3rd round, the Dallas Cowboys select:

Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State

Good pick GB, I like this guy and he seems like a real good fit for Dallas. Better pass rusher than run stuffer right now but that's not bad for a 3rd imo.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks! I was trying to find a penetrating DT and he may be just what they are looking for in the Big D.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Now your talking my language I think not taking Holliman here in the 3rd was a big mistakes for a few reasons. First we need guys who can make turnovers.....enter Holliman and the fact that this class is pretty deep at CB I feel there was no need to go back to back CB this early in the draft. Someone mentioned Gaines and I like him a ton later on as well. Another late value for people to check out is Swann from Georgia, I think he could be good but needs time and work.

I know Rowe started out projected low but he has been climbing up every week but everything I read about Golson was that he was a 4th rounder. I have not seen much of these two and I am not judging the picks I just agree with the others who think there was better value out there. Either way it is cool how this is working out.