1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2015 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    100%

Dupree wouldn't be a reach anyway and he's a much bigger need.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Arik seems to be a lock for the San Francisco pick by most reports. But new head coach Jim Tomsula is a former defensive line coach. So it will be interesting come draft day whether he is the pick or not. That will give a glimpse on their perception of him. A lot of the knocks on both Armstead and Dupree is their "motor". Physically gifted no doubt, but a lot of their critiques are desire related - lack of pursuit, taking plays off, etc.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's definitely a balance.

Let's look at 2005. Would you have drafted Aaron Rodgers, had he been on the board?

Ben Roethlisberger just finished arguably the greatest rookie season for a QB ever. We found our franchise guy, and Super Bowls seemed to be in our future (and they were).

Heath Miller is one of my favorite players of all time, and until he was injured I'd have argued he was every bit as good at being a TE as Aaron Rodgers is at being a QB. But who am I kidding, we all know Rodgers has the bigger impact, and the better value. An elite QB is a big deal.

So pretend you had a crystal ball and knew exactly how amazing both Miller and Rodgers would be. Do you draft Rodgers, with Ben going into his 2nd season, and sit one of them on the bench? That's one hell of a backup, and maybe the competition improves them both. Or does somebody get sour and does the locker room start to stink? OR do you pass on the incredible Rodgers for the less impactful non-Pro Bowler Miller, and add a missing puzzle piece to your offense?

If you can choose one of those, you know where you stand.

Now add the element that in real life, you don't really know if either of those guys will work out. BPA sounds great, but BPA under any circumstance is ridiculous. You have to combine them. And there's no way we won't have a player of appropriate value at #22 at a position of need greater than DE.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    To add a few other thoughts to this BPA/needs conversation, we all don't know what direction our defense is headed. Are we a 3-4 or are we moving more to a 4-3? The Steelers have come out and said they want to mix in more 4-3 but haven't said how much and that will change the way we draft and what our needs our.

Another thing is our front office/scouts/coaches have so much more knowledge and more information on these prospects then we ever dreamed of. Making how the Steelers rank BPA different then how most of us do. I am a BPA guy however I totally understand where people are coming from when talking needs. This year we have so many needs that BPA and needs will match.

What position would anyone consider we are totally set at and couldn't use help at, QB, ILB....and maybe with the signing of Williams RB. We have glaring needs at CB, OLB, SS/FS(depending what they do with Mitchell) and DT/NT. We always can use oline help and in this NFL always need weapons at WR. We are looking for the next Miller at TE(if there is such a thing) so that is a need area. BPA vs Need this year could very well end up being the same thing....jmo.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I had avoided directly comparing Armstead and Dupree because I had watched very limited film on Armstead other than just when watching games back in the fall. Last night I watched the Armstead games that are on draftbreakdown. He's a good player, and if we didn't already have 2 young starters at the 5 tech I'd be interested in him as a potential 1st rounder. However, I don't think that he offers as much upside as Dupree. Dupree is going to need coaching, but he quite literally has the physical tools of a #1 overall pick. So, the question is why doesn't the tape match the ability? To me he looks like a guy who simply hasn't been coached enough. His technique, both rushing and defending the run, is limited. He doesn't show the relentless motor of a guy like Kikaha, but he doesn't look as lazy as circa 2013 Clowney either. I'd say he and Armstead have pretty similar motors, and I think both guys have question marks. Good for us, because if Dupree didn't have a few question marks he'd go near the top of the 1st round.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Some very good points added here.

Cajun.

7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I may have been a bit misleading. I want to be clear.
    BPA= Best player available regardless of position.
    Need= a position void of starter talent or starters with zero talent at back-up
    Value= When BPA and need join in a glorious union. Value has degrees depending on how great the need or how well the BPA fits the need.

I guess I'm more of a value guy.

On Dupree. I know nfldraftscout has him at 16 overall. I disagree. He has top 10 physical and performance ( non field related ) measurables. His on field production doesn't match that ( could be coaching problem ) AND no-one has ever said he has a high motor, but takes plays off. I have a 2nd RD grade on him ( go ahead and call me crazy ). If he had that high motor to me he'd then be a 1st rder and only then would the debate begin on whether or not we could coach him up to be a starter........someday

On Erik..... He fits what we do as of now, we have 2 starters and no back-up in my opinion. Thomas isn't the answer and moving McLendon outside seem to be against the coaching staffs consideration. He's a safer pick than Dupree but again we can address this need later.

Cajun

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am pretty new to this board and this draft first I would like to say wow this is cool. I have been in the shadows watching this, I just wish I would have can here sooner I would love to be part of it. Now onto the Steelers discussion of the 3rd rounder, I am not sure if this is the place for it but there are some nice names out there to look at. a few names I would like to talk about(which I am not sure if you are suppose to throw names out there) are Prewitt and Holliman. Both are FS but with Troy gone now and the talk of Mitchell moving over to SS I would love one of these guys as a ball hawking FS.

I really want Holliman, he is my guy he is the guy I think can help us get turnovers. The problem here is I don't want to roll the dice and see if he will last until our pick in the 4th. I would rather reach maybe a little and get the guy I want then to wait and miss out on him. I would also consider trading back a few spots to gain another pick and get the player I want cause I feel in this draft there are some real gems in rounds 3-5. I think with us already getting a OLB and CB in this draft we grab this guy and we really help our defense big time.

I know there are some really good names still left for us to pick from but with the way we were in the turnover department last year this is who I am lasered in on, thoughts on this? Nice job so far all.

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Feel free to take Jacksonville or Washington from me. I don't want both teams, and have both just because we didn't fill out the draft without doubling up.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    agreed...same with me and Denver! lol

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    LOL! With the number of us who had to take two teams, he could end up as GM of about 4 or 5 teams in about an hour :)

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Happy days give me a team I am in, you guys decide I will take any team and thanks so much.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Steelers voting/discussion for the 3rd round is open (and probably will be most of the day)!

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Texans are available, too. Take my wife, please. :)

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek: I'm guessing Mrs TTF doesnt check the board much :lolol:

16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    To toss out a few names: Jaquiski Tart, ss/fs, Gerod Holiman, FS, TJ Yeldon, RB

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    OT Donovan Smith
    RB TJ Yeldon
    WR Phillip Dorsett

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I was hoping he would be around in the 4th.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    She doesn't, but she was actually standing beside me when I typed it. I snickered. She didn't. :lol:

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller did a mock yesterday on Sirius.

[tweet]586930740023193600[/tweet]

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lmao, let me know which team and I can get caught up with them.....as for a wife sorry one is more then enough......lol!

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    My vote is Gerod Holliman FS the ball hawker we are looking for and I am to scared to let him ride to next round. other names that really have me interested are:

Golden OLB Mizz
    Shaw CB USC
    Hardy WR E. Car

A guy that I really like but I feel we can't afford to take here is Langford RB Mich ST. With us signing Williams RB has to take a back seat till later we have to many other needs then to take a RB in the 3rd.

PS

I would like to add 14 ints for Holliman last year.......so what if he can't tackle be our playmaker!!!!!

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

If it is ok I would be happy to take Denver, they have a pick coming up and have a lot of picks still to come...3 in the 7th.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Yeldon wouldn't be bad here, and it's a matter of offense vs defense for me. I love defense, so I'm going with:

Senquez Golson, CB, Mississippi

He's a smaller dude, but a real BA. I love his combine footage because he's standing there all stone-faced when everyone else is joking around. Plus his SEC production was fantastic. Stick him in as our 3rd CB and never look back. Brings nearly the same production as Holliman without the perceived baggage.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The 49ers stole Dorsett in the 2nd.