1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2014 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. kuriusjorge

kuriusjorge Member

Feb 24, 2014
    CJ Moseley Roll Tide!

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  3. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was not expecting so much love for Dennard at #15. I think this is forcing a NEED moreso than actually BPA.

My vote will go for LB CJ Mosley.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I am not surprised at the love for Dennard. He's a corner, and we need corner halp badly. However, I have watched quite a bit of Dennard on film, and IMO 80%+ of what makes him a strong draft prospect overall is how he plays press man. How often do we ask our corners to play press man? There are several corners on the board who I think would be better players in our system than Dennard (Roby, Fuller, some of the Florida guys, etc.). Dennard may be better than all of them in press man coverage, but why spend pick #15 on him just because his position is "cornerback?" Good player, questionable fit.

I'm going for Mosley even though his injury history concerns me. He would probably not be my first choice, but right now he's the only guy who has the slightest chance of catching Dennard in this voting.

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dennard wins with 11 votes..

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    And i think thats exactly what they need...someone who can play up. Regardless if its not part of the "official system" they play. It usually works out fairly well when they let the DBs play up.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He can play zone too, he just does more press coverage. Dennard would be a very good pick, I'd be happy if they take him. If they are going defense in the first, I'm hoping for Gilbert or Dennard and then Desir later on.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Voting is open for the Steelers 2nd round pick.

Dennard was the 1st rounder...where do they go now? WR?

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    WR is deep and can be had later, OLB bigger need

Carl Bradford OLB, Arizona State

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'll stick with my mock and go with Donte Moncrief, WR Ole Miss. Dude is gonna be a playmaker in the NFL.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    There are no wr left that I would want for us in the 2nd rd... my vote goes for notre dame
    d-lineman stephon tuitt

13. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Stephon Tuitt is my vote.

We do have starters at OLB already (no depth behind them yet) but not starters at all the DL spots. The beard may come back for another season but band aids will not fix that problem. I don't know that Arnfelt or Williams will amount to anything.

14. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    WR has to be the pic. WR Donte Moncrief. Right now we have no #2 receiver, and I'm not entirely sure we have any #3 receivers on the roster. I think he'll be good, and I think we'll need to draft at LEAST one more WR.....and TE later.

15. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I am going with tuitt here, a good reciver can be had later.:steelflag:

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
  17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure if I get a vote because I'm not a GM this year. But I see you're saying we should pick WR because we need a WR. The Steelers like to take all of their needs and go BPA, and that's worked for them. Yes, WR is a need, where we have a couple of guys that make good #3s (it's fair to expect Moore and Wheaton to be at least that good), but no established #2. At DE we have nothing but some fan favorite 7th round/UDFA guys with a combined 2 NFL snaps. After losing Hood and Woods, DE is a huge need. Cam Thomas is depth, and might bandage our starting problem at DE... or he might fail miserably and only serve well as a backup NT. I think Thomas at DE is an experiment, and I'm not expecting great results.

Both are needs. I think most people would argue that Stephon Tuitt is the better value here in the middle of the 2nd, and everyone agrees this is a deep WR class.

I haven't done nearly enough film study at this point so I'm mostly going off of what I've read. My unofficial vote would be for Tuitt.

Is OLB a bigger need than DE? And is Bradford a better value than Tuitt?

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    You have a vote Snack.

Any MB member can vote on the Steelers selection.

19. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    I hear what you are saying. WR and DE are BOTH big needs, obviously. But I don't see Tuitt or any rookie D lineman at this point in the draft coming in and contributing right away(Lebeau's scheme). I do think Tuitt may end up being a really good player down the line, but D-Linemen take time to develop in our system. I'm hoping we grab a vet down the line....

WR's, in general, on the other hand have a better chance of coming in as rookies and contributing right away. I was never too high on Sanders, and I don't think its impossible at all to think that Moncreif can step up right away and exceed Sanders production in this offense.

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I can agree with this. I like Tuitt too, and almost voted for him. However, Moncrief has a chance to be a real difference maker in the NFL. Him AB and Wheaton would be a deadly combo, with any of them having a chance to house it if they get thier hands on the ball. IMO we wouldn't go wrong with either of them.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I am going with Tuitt because I watched a lot of tape on him, and I think he's a very good value pick at #46. I have him as an end of round 1 prospect. He is a decent pass rusher for an interior lineman, and could be pretty dangerous paired up with Heyward inside on passing downs.

My real preference is for Jeremiah Attaochu (who I think is as good an OLB prospect as Terrell Suggs was) at this spot, but I know I'd be barking into a void, so there's no point making him my vote. As for Moncrief, I simply haven't watched enough of him to make him my vote. He may be great, but I just haven't had the time to watch more than a few minutes of him.

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Pretty tough not to take Tuitt here. I think he is clearly BPA and it does fit a need. I like Moncrief, but I don't think he is necessarily great value at #46. I think other options would be OG Xavier Su'a-filo, TE Troy Niklas or WR Davante Adams.

My vote is for DE Stephon Tuitt Notre Dame though.

23. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    To me, the fact that it can take defensive linemen a while to catch up to our system is all the more reason to get one ASAP. The guys we have in the pipeline currently are no-investment guys with a high possibility of fizzling out. Grabbing a so-so vet doesn't do much for our future, and a 2nd round pick should be used on the future. Not that I don'nt want guys that can contribute right away, just that the long-term always needs to be a priority when picking this high. And he could absolutely still get in on passing downs as a rookie. That seems plausible. He could possibly even start, if they don't sign a vet. Not necessarily because Tuitt is so quick at picking up the scheme, but just because there's not really anyone else and he can at least go out there and make plays and knock guys around. Doesn't happen a lot, but it's possible. Casey Hampton, Vince Williams, Jarvis Jones started as rookies. Tuitt could arguably have less competition than any of those guys.

I'm all about getting a WR in round 2 or 3, or even 1 if it's the right guy at the right value. But I just think that the way this draft is shaking out, Tuitt's the way to go. My vote is now official. :thumbs_up:

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011