1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

offering up a qb

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not sure if it would even be possible for us to offer up lefty since he's on ir. the question is though, would it have made sense for us at this point in the season, to offer up one of our backups to say chicago or houston for some draft picks next year? they are in qb trouble and we have 4. if in fact lefty was healed enough by now. i know we couldn't use him but could he go to another team and come off of ir? going into the playoffs i'm sure we want all 3 of ours, but could we have offered lefty? :cool:

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that would be a negative. Once on the IR - you're done for the season - no matter what team you get traded to.

3. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers couldn't trade anyone, even if the wanted too. The trade deadline for this season was October 18th. The only thing that teams can do at this point, is out-right release players. Once that player is released, he can be claimed by any team off waivers and then that team must pay his current contract. If a player clears waivers without any team claiming him, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and the team that released him still has to pay him for the rest of his contract.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    IMO, No one would give a thing for Lefty right now. We gave (I guess) a 5th to Tampa a couple of years ago, before he injured twice in 2 years (2010, 2011). Been thinking about his future here. Maybe I'm wrong after all and he'll be back as our only proven backup next year.

Dixon could have risen his value if he played a bit more, but circumstances made it difficult for the kid. Guess he'll be a FA.
    Batch will be leading his foundation next year, and hopefully beginning a coaching carreer. He has the tools and understands the game.

So, there seems to be no one we can possibly trade next offseason.

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is Dixon always ruled out of a game?

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Leftwhich is a very good back up...maybe not for a whole season, but definitely for 2 or 3 games.

I would get rid of Batch and Dixon and just roll with Leftwhich. They can just draft a new 3rd stringer to groom.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i don't think anyone would let us pay them and take our backups