1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offer Munch the moon to come back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 1, 2020.

1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yea, he wants to be in a solid place like Denver. They are the beacon organization and stability. For god sake, they are talking about trying to get Rivers now and give up on Lock. They are a true debacle out there. They got a SB cause the bought a one year wonder team and it worked. They couldn’t run or pass the ball this year so if he is a magician, he for got his wand out there. And yes they have several good young O-line guys.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In 2018, pre-Munch, Denver gave up 34 sacks on 588 pass attempts and rushed at 4.9 yd/carry
    This year, with Munch,Den gave up 41 sacks on 504 attempts and rush at 4.1 yd/carry.

I realize this is a simplistic look at simple stats, and I have no clue how OL personnel changed but these numbers don't 'scream' miracle work by Munch in Denver or really any improvement at all. Maybe someone can enlighten me on specifics that might argue that Munch did better than the stats suggest.

I'll allow losing Munch hurt in Pitt. But I dont see how he could slow the aging of the current OL and the difference between playing a veteran QB vs a couple of inexperienced one. It surely wouldn't hurt to bring him back, but I doubt it's a cure all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would take Munchak any day over this tool calling the offense. Any day.

The 2018 O Line was pretty fine. Quality coaching.

Tomlin thought the line was going to go on auto pilot. Wrong. The moment was to big for Sarrett. They better look at a different O line coach.

My what a year can do :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You forgot fire special teams coach. Or maybe just Berry....

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It’s the players not the loss of a coach.
    It regressed.
    Foster is old, slow and overweight.
    He shouldn’t of been resigned. Finney should of started.
    AL V, can’t stop the bull rush Myles Garrett made him look like a little boy trying to stop a man. Down right couldn’t stop him.

It’s not coaching it’s lack of talent and an aging skill set. Not like these guys forgot things they were taught in a year.
    Need to draft some, and hopefully keep Finney send foster packing.
    Then hope that banner or chuks produce to a starting tackle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If you think I’m wrong look at games Finney starts at guard and how well the run game does

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn’t turn our line around in one season either but it was pretty damn good when he left. Takes time.

I’m not a big believer in coincidences, line went from a strength to a liability when he left.

8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Spteams coach as well ... I will get to the players in another thread. I'm just speaking on coaching now.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn't watch denver a whole lot this year, but I would take a rushing avg of 4.9 or 4.1 a carry

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Sarrett is easy to placate blame due to not just his first year officially being the Offensive Line Coach but also Munchak's exceptional work. As I said, there are three Pro Bowl Caliber Offensive Lineman on the Offensive Line that should maintain stability and continuity. It did not; Sarrett having partially to do with it. However, that is not where the majority of blame should be placed.

Age is the issue here of these players. People tend to forget that Munchak got these Offensive Lineman when they were in their prime. They are past that now; Big Al and Ramon especially. They need instant upgrades for either or position. Only one that isn't is David DeCastro; unsurprisingly our best Offensive Lineman.

For that matter, given B.J. Finney's age and contract status, it would not surprise me if he signs elsewhere. When that happens, look for the 2020 Steelers Pro Day Tracker to be full to the brim with Interior Offensive Lineman.

I understand this may infuriate some but Shaun Sarrett cannot and should not be gauged by one mere season with aging talent. Find talent that is young and can perform. Once said talent is acquired, then and only then can we judge Shaun Sarrett as a whole.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Do some of you guys really think you can lose the best offensive line coach and not suffer for it?

I guarantee you Munch doesn't allow overload blitzes the last 3 weeks to kill them.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I never said losing Munch didn't make us suffer at all. All I am stating is that Sarrett cannot be judged at this current time as there is insufficient information. Like Munch, we need to see what Sarrett can do with talented players.

As you said on the first page Blast, players need coaching; talented or otherwise. Munch had impressive levels of talent in 2013. Sarrett does not have that luxury currently.

Give him some time my man! I am certain he will turn around! :)

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Read s
    somewhere this year that Munch was very involved in game planning in the past. It is hard for me to judge the current OL coach with all the BS that happened this year. While they underperformed, the (mostly) same group of guys certainly did not forget the basics they have been taught over the years. How much is age, the loss of Ben, because of that loss the different strategies that had to be employed. The ineffective game planning and calls from the OC. How much did the previous OC's rely on Munches input? This and so much more needs to be evaluated and corrected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Someone has to have dirt on Munch's daughter. Get her to move to Pittsburgh and demand her dad come with her. Then bring him in as OC. Easy peasy.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not putting this all on starrett either. Until they make some player changes and not let Ben tell them who to keep, it won't change. Foster and Pouncey are liabilities. Our qbs had more time to throw when finney was at center. Foster was slow and missed many blogs pickups. The last two games we saw a gun why duck that held the ball at times because of throwing all the picks. We seemed to be able to run the ball slightly better with finney as well but still had slow foster at that time.

Listen, those guys had good careers with us prior and I want to thank them but rather time has caught up. The effects of last injuries increase with age and the amount they have played. Foster has gotten too big. Some of the blame has to go on giemont too.

Play design had some to do with it as well. An empty backfield for a young qb, already gun shy, young wrs with little coaching, a new TE, rb carousel, lack of hot read pickups, obvious play design that tipped our hand, lack of adjustments, vet linemen that are immobile, the middle of the line getting collapsed into a young qbs face and this all becomes a perfect storm. We

Sure strategy had some to do with it but there were many other factors as well. Yes pressure came off the edges at times but the middle of the pocket collapsing on these qbs without a lane to step up in was a huge downfall. Until changes are made to the players, this will be a big problem even if Ben comes back. I want personnel change before I change starrett. You have to give him tools to work with. Sure I'd love munch back but don't see that happening any time soon.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This isn’t so much a bashing Sarrett thread as it is getting back the best in the business thread.

Put it this way, would anyone be disappointed if they brought Munch back? Money they pay coaches doesn’t affect the cap so there is no reason to be against it.

I’m sure bringing him back isn’t even on their radar, I’m just stating what I think they should do or try to do.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with much of what you’re saying, but I think you had a typo saying some of the blame goes to “giemont.” Who are you referring to?

I agree that Father Time has caught up with Pouncey and Foster. It’s time for them to ride off into tHe sunset, and we should keep Finney and Feiler over those two.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

When you put it that way, I would not mind it at all! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He walked away from his team and players he coached. He didn’t go to Denver for the money so why overpay a guy that really deep down does not want to be here. Gotta let it go, he’s gone. We could have offered Cowher double the money but he simply did not want to be here. I know what he was going through but I really think he had had it.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Our strength coach. Never been that fond of him. Our linemen look fat and soft. :cool:

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    dude's a HOFer and they promoted a dumb azz red neck over him to OC when Haley left....you don't think the competitive spirit died when he took off the cleats did you?? 11-year NFL vet and 9 time pro bowler when it meant something, inducted into Canton in 2001. Run game coordinator and o-line coach trumped by some hick qb coach, college OC. Damn, surprised he stayed for 2018 tbh.... HAHA, you guys make me laugh, like some pocket change will make him forget that debacle....Family in Denver was just a media reason to move....

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think someone was drunk posting last night :tequila:

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    p
    perhaps but doesn't change much....Munchak I'm sure has no reason to care about money...my guess is he was red-assed over RF being promoted and he took the next opportunity out of here and tried to groom Sarret on that last year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Munchack turned down a contract extension that included a raise with the steelers, why would he come back, denver is in good shape to have a winning season in 2020 after going 4-1 in their last 5 games so he's not about to jump ship now.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I keep going back to the timeline...Munchak interviews for AZ HC vacancy and Haley is still OC in Pittsburgh.

Two days later Haley is fired/not renewed. On the VERY SAME day, Munchak declines second interview with AZ. Man, I would love to know what was discussed in the two days between Munchak's interview and the announcement they were not keeping Haley.

Two days after that Roidy Sphincter is promoted to OC and Munchak is gone the next year.

Munchak showed he had higher aspirations since he interviewed for the HC vacancy. Were promises about Munchak being the next OC made and then broken?? Probably not, because I don't think that's how the Rooneys do things, but the lines of communication between the FO and coaching staff aren't the best either, see LeBeau and Arians.

We'll never know what happened but I doubt money was a factor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1