1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line for first two picks in the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 22, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Canada wasn't the OC last year, and the OL couldn't get any push upfront.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    All I'm saying is that to catch a ball, someone had to throw it. And without a HOF QB and O schemes that damn near refuse to run the ball, the stats for these WRs look a lot different.

We saw how great these WRs are when Ben isn't throwing them the ball in 2019. Washington was the top WR that year with 735 yds and 44 catches. That put him 49th in the league for yards and 83rd for catches. When your best WR is 49th in the league, that isn't good.

Ben makes average WR picks look like home run picks. Without Ben over the past 17 years, I bet these WR stats look a lot different. Looking at the guys who go on to other teams and then proceed to demonstrate exactly how average they are just backs it up. Not to mention, the steelers haven't had a running team identity for a long time. Even when Bell was racking up the yards, he caught a lot of balls from Ben. We saw what happened when that connection ended.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not true blast. i give him credit when its due, just not for every move he makes as earth shattering. he doesn't do bad at drafting wrs but there are as many clunkers as well and no he isn't better then any other team in the league at it. that is slightly misleading story too. it's not all about a 1000 yard receiver. sure thats nice and all but if the second receiver is only getting 600 and the third 400 then it shows you need that guy healthy and producing every week or you are in trouble. some teams have 3 guys producing 700 to 900 a season and that means the ball is spread around and teams can't just key on one guy. stats like that can be very misleading. we had the top wr and top rb at one time with a franchise qb and what did it get us? when you pay them so much that the rest of the team suffers how good of a GM are you? how about you pick a defensive back. a TE. have 3 UDFAs starting on your offensive line. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    But, he does have a brain, and a mouth, and other than watching his real boss play QB, what did he do that contributed to the offense and the run game philosophy he advertises? The OL looked like they were doing something right in the first quarter of the season and then, poof, gone? I read all this Canada this and Canada that but until I see this or that, I'm reserving my praise for his genius some are giving him. I hope he does great things, but he hasn't yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, QB absolutely matters but if that was the only reason then guys like Justin Brown, Wheaton, Ayers, etc, would have all been hits too.

As that link shows, they have been very successful at it.

If you dug into their record drafting DB’s, they’d be near the bottom I bet.

Steelers just do a good job scouting receivers, it’s a strength of theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Have not read through this thread so this may have been mentioned. I do understand the need for O-line but I'm on the side we need a QB. I was hoping Ben hung it up and Mason would have a year to prove what he has.

I think we are 24th pick and I'm sure I'm in the minority but I'm hoping Trey Lance or Wilson from BYU is are first pick. One of them may be around come our turn. Also under the opinion that if we don't get a QB we be screwed for at least the next 3-4 years. You can say all the BS you want about the Browns and Bengals but they have a better QB then us going into the 2021 season. Sorry Ravens but I'm not sold on Lamar being so great once the legs slow down.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok, I agree they are pretty good at it considering the entire ecosystem including QB, OL, scheme, philosophy. But drafting is just one piece of the whole to see why stats were good. I'd like to see the data behind the spreadsheet in the attached to see more details of the players and the years.

Like mac mentioned, stats are not the only thing to consider either. Name the WR greats in between the 2 HOF QBs this team has had. You got Thigpen and Lipps essentially that were great in between Bradshaw and before Ben got here and became the franchise QB.

Plus, when we look at the Steelers greats during the Ben era, it is Hines and AB that stand out. The other guys were flash in the pan WRs to include JuJu, Santonio, Plex. Guys like Wallace, Bryant, Wheaton, Ayers, Coates, and many others never lived up to the hype.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    We know what Mason has - a hot girlfriend and a nice smile. That doesn't equate to winning football games. I agree that they need to get Ben's replacement on the roster - that person isn't here yet and I doubt is in this draft. The guys you mention probably won't be on the board when they pick.

10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You have to be a diva and/or throw water coolers/furniture for Ben to make you look good, unless your name is Hines.

11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    d8584576fb38091845f2191a3f1b964d.jpg

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I disagree with you here. If Mason is Smart he will sign a friendly deal, and He can start when Ben decides 2 hang it up.
    Of course I liked the pick when they got him.
    IMO.
    He hasn't had enough time 2 be judged fairly.
    Each 2 their own.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Time will tell. I want to agree with you but haven't seen him take advantage of his opportunities yet.

• Like Like x 1