1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Expecations vs Denver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Anyone have their own expectations for our offensive game plan against Denver this week?

We've got a hobbled QB that is definitely not the same regular season self, a backup RB with virtually no depth at RB. And we are going against a decent defense. Denver's defense has scored 3 TD's off 9 ints and 11 forced fumbles. Let's not forget our starting RB had 2 fumbles last week.

What is everyone expecting to see this week?

It's hard to imagine what goes to Bruce Arien's brain, but let's give it a whirl.

I think we are going to continue to throw the ball a lot, probably 40+ attempts for ben. What I think the should do is similar to the New England game, where we use the short passing game effectively as our running game. Quick routes, quick reads, quick throws. Mix in some play action to help establish our running game. Redman has averaged 4.4ypc this year, and I see little reason for that to change.... unless he has an early game fumble... then I think we could be in trouble.

I'd like to see all our WR's catching some 4-7 yard routes with a chance for Wallace or Brown to break a big one.

The Denver defense has been well balanced in yards allowed at 10th rushing/12th passing in the AFC. So I think using the short passing attack should help us control the game and get up to a quick lead.

2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Pound them with Redman to force a rushing first down and bring extra help to the box. Then, use short passing game to soften defense at mid-range passing level, and they are hopefully using Heath and Hines and a couple check-downs to Redman. This should open up PA and longer completions to Wallace and Brown. Then mix it up a bit and hope the deep pass opens up for a quick strike to Wallace/Brown for an extra TD.

Red Zone: As soon as they get to the opposing 20yd line they should punish with the run. Redman/Clay will be up for it. This should open up PA for a quick end zone strike.

Back against the goal line: Run out of there.

Basically, use the run to open up the pass. I'm hoping Ben/BA can be patient enough for that.

If Ben is feeling nimble enough, in the ankle, and the Steelers have the lead, at halftime, then I'd like to see the Steelers offense throw a curve ball with the first posession of the 3rd qtr and go "no-huddle." The opposing defense will have made 2nd quarter adjustments and what better way to mind-screw the opposing DC and defensive personnel than to go "no-huddle" out of nowhere and move the ball on Denver. It will frustrate the defense. Then, go to the 2nd half offensive attack plan. Keep that defense off balance.

3. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to see the Steelers diversify the running game a bit (a little more than the same running play pulling the LG and to the right that we always run). You have to establish the run for play action to be effective (not use play action to establish the run). I would like this to happen, then use some quick hitteres. Also if run is established, use play action to open up the deeper stuff that Ben and BA love. I would love to see a well designed screen to the RB (traditional style screen, vice WR bubble screen). I saw screen passes go for very long TDs last week at least 2 times (One for sure was Green Bay).

4. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Broncs are #22 in rush D and #18 in pass D so i think we should run the ball at em.

6. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

KC was #31 in Rushing D and we pass, pass, passed all over the place. Game planning means nothing to Bruce AIRHEAD.

I agree that we should run the ball right at Dumervil and company but more than like Ben will have 46 pass attempts.

7. Go Deep

Go Deep Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Run the ball between the tackles to make their premier pass rushers become run stoppers!

8. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    and throw in some PA passes.