1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

offensive and defensive mvp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 9, 2011.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know the season isnt over but I was thinking after game last night that antonio brown could be the mvp of the offense. He is clutch. I know without ben this offense sucks but he has bailed ben out more than a few times. he had a big drop last night but I cant remember a fumble and he is great in space. anyone else thank that willie gay has had one of the best seasons of anyone on defense. judging him of last year he is playing at a pro bowl level. not saying he is a pro bowler but players normally dont improve that much. he has had a good season and I think he is a player we cant do without right now

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Willie Gay has had maybe 5 good games, that's not MVP material in my eyes. I don't even know if I could pick a defensive MVP this year, nobody has really stood out. Keisel maybe

3. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Offense: Ben
    Defense: Keisel

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Really quite simple so far Kiesel and #7.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Disagree. Willie has had a few good games but he is far from the defensive MVP of this team. I'd say that goes to Keisel of Woodley and Ben for the offense.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would vote for Gay as the most IMPROVED player on defense. Antonio Brown the same thing on offense.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Keisel has done his usual thing. I don't think that any member of the D has stepped up head and shoulders above the others. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. But it would be hard for me to pick one guy over the others as an MVP.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Gay has had two or three good games. He may well be playing like a Pro Bowler compared to how he's played in the past, but what does that tell us? We already knew he was one of, if not THE worst starting CBs in the league in the past. He's having a good season for him, but that doesn't make it a good season. I'm not saying it's a fluke, but for a player to improve this much in one year says something changed dramatically. I think that something was Carnell Lake. Good for Gay, but a handfull of good games out of 13 doesn't make you MVP.

Ike Taylor, on the other hand, has had perhaps two so-so or bad games this year, and has been fantastic the rest of the time. You don't consider improvement for MVP, you consider level of play and importance. Value. Keisel's also playing great, but I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Taylor, Polamalu (yes, even though he hasn't been as steady as last year, I don't take improvement or dropoff into consideration), or even Harrison. Harrison would probably be a slam dunk if he hadn't missed 4 games. He still could win it with three to go.

On offense, it's hard not to go with whoever the QB is if you're winning and the QB is playing well. So Ben. After him, I suppose Antonio Brown, due to his clutch and timely big plays. It's gotten so you can almost predict a 23 yard gain every time it's 3rd and 20. Then again, Mike Wallace had a stellar first half and has been taking all the coverage since...

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I could go along with that, although Worilds has to be in the conversation for most improved on defense. He has been absolutely huge for us with Harrison and Woodley missing so much time. It's just too bad he was hurt himself for part of that time.

10. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Stop with the gay love...ok that sounded funny. When we play a good qb, we'll find out how much he has improved.

11. beastlyqb7

beastlyqb7 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Thats easy
    Offensive MVP: Young Money
    Defensive MVP: Ike Taylor HANDS DOWN

12. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i dnt remember Brady having a big game or the reciever Gay was covering.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I, too, would have to go with Ike. He has been one of the most steady players on defense. I would have to add Clark in on the conversation too. Problem with Clark is that you don't hear his name much. In our case that is good, though. On offense, yeah you would have to give the nod to Ben, however, there are a couple of arguments to be made for a few others. Wallace was on fire first half of the season. Brown has been consistent and seems to be clutch. Starks really seemed to strengthen the line when he came back and we started winning. Heath is Heath (one of my favorites so I'm biased)...same with Pouncey!

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt mean he should be the mvp. I should have been more clear. I was just saying we really dont have one and he is playing as good as anyone on defense. I guess if he closes out the season strong there is no reason he cant win it. he has had as many good games as anyone else.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He hasn't been as good covering #2s and #3s as Ike has been covering #1s. If Gay has a great last 3 games, he will still have had more bad games and fewer good games than Ike, with a much lower degree of difficulty all along the way.

Not to mention guys at other positions that have been consistently better (Troy, Keisel, Harrison, Woodley...). I only compare him to Ike because they play the same position, and it's no comparison.

16. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Agree. :flag: :applaud:

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Offense - Ben
    Defense - co-MVP's Woodley and Harrison

18. SteelersWin!

SteelersWin! Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Absolutely Ben on offense
    Woodley if not hurt for so many weeks on D, so gotta go with Ike Taylor

19. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well when you say MVP it does not necessarily mean production the best way I think of it is what the team (or that side of the ball) would be like without that certain player.

Offense: Big Ben - Hands down. He makes things happen on offense and gives us the potential to win anytime hes out there.

Defense: Ike Taylor - Shutdown this season. And hes got some picks! He is THE reason we are the #1 pass defense team in the league and I think he is still greatly underrated by most in the league. He is a Top 5 CB IMO and I think he will still get better.

It was actually tough for me not to pick Troy for defensive MVP. He definitely has nowhere near the production as previous years and we haven't seen nearly as many splash plays from him, but his mere presence out there drives offensive coordinators crazy. The also could be why we aren't seeing as much from him. OCs have slightly figured out where they need to keep the ball to keep it away from him but he still makes it tough for them the way he flies across the field. We know what this defense can be like without him. But, for the time being, without Ike Taylor right now we would be getting burnt by big time WRs and offenses would have ALOT more field to work with.