1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offense play calling

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 14, 2020.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I posted a thread last week blaming the drops for our loss not the play calling. Well this week I’ll have to admit that the play calling stunk.
    Maybe it isn’t play calling as much as play design?
    I felt like early in the season I had seen more creativity on offense than I’d seen in a long time. So what happened? Other teams figure it out? Injuries? Covid? Bens knee is injured?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I read somewhere that Canada is not as involved anymore.

If that’s true, get his ass back in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wonder why that is?

4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The offensive line stinks and now it’s injured. Ben only wants to throw 3 yard passes to avoid getting hit. It’s a disaster.

5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben doesn’t like the sweeps and motions supposedly.

6. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Any idea where you read that? I’d like to take a look.

7. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    To your point..has anyone studied the all 22 the past 3-4 games?

At first I wanted to say the Ravens gave the blueprint to make BB be patient because he used to always look downfield.

Now I am starting to wonder if this dink and dunk East Coast offense is due to BB being hurt.

Add the run game woes of lack of physicality and you see the result.

I am chicken little about the run game. It doesnt look like execution or the design but it seems that the other teams seem quicker and more physical and not all these defenses were ranked top 5.

Now the weather starts to be a factor.

I dont know how to fix it but I keep screaming for 4-5 wide and hurry up so the sub packages get neutralized. What is there to lose except the ball of the WRs or TEs hands.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The early creativity was refreshing. It became predictable. They have been strutting the same old same old out as usual which has been predictable. Only difference is the quicker pass attempts which has become more than predictable. For whatever reason, they just outright refuse (it's not a cant scenario) to add different route trees or basically schemed options in any package... It's the old one, two everytime.

They refuse to move the chains (drops aside) via basic football logic involving basic formation and basic personnel in order to do it. In the instance they actually go big for a yard on 2nd and 1 and fail, it's back to empty backfield 5 wide nonsense trying to hit a quick slant or screen with the defense stacked and clogging all lanes. They simply have to switch things up and quit bailing on tried and true football acumen. The last few weeks or seasons for that matter with this approach is beyond asinine in my opinion. How many teams, how many talking heads, hell... How many of us beer goggled fans saying the word "predictable" does it take?

Alright rant over for now. I'm gonna get a bag of tootsie pops and find that old bastard owl and get to the bottom of this idiocy. Hahahahahaha

• Like Like x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Canada is no longer involved, then that is solely a coaching issue. Be it him, Randy or Mike, something must change here. Unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Found it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    They're going to have to incorporate more double moves on these short routes. DBs are easily anticipating the short passes and jumping the routes. Run a double move and hope the gamble on jumping the short route pays off. The dink and dunk should be eliminated from the playbook all together if you're not going to be more creative in creating more space between the receivers and their defenders. ...it's one of the primary reasons for the increase in dropped passes I believe also. As one person mentioned in another post...because these receivers are overly concerned with YAC there's too much being processed in such a short space...Let the catch take place beyond the sticks and you'll see the drops decrease because the receivers have one less thing to be concerned about. The only passes that should be completed short anymore are screens or safety valves out the backfield.

I got nothing for you concerning the run game. They don't have the personnel and running the dink and dunk doesn't eliminate 8 in the box.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1