1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offense oriented draft...Next year Defense? For Butler?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Apr 28, 2018.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Interesting draft. So clearly they’re allowing Fichtner to put his stamp on the O; Putting him in the best position to succeed while addressing the D through free agency or possibly next year. Some fans are left scratching their heads as to why we didn’t address the D more heavily.

Could this be their way of phasing Butler out? Do you think their is a plan to draft heavily on the defensive side next year and allow a new defensive coach to pick his players?

I just remember last year their were rumors that Tomlin took over play calling. Whether they were true or not, our D lost us the Jags game. If it doesn’t improve can you still blame Butler considering we didn’t address the D more early on or is this a last chance, no excuse year for Butler.

Just a conversation starter...

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming Durpee does not live up towards expectations then yes. Next year's draft will be defensive heavy indeed.

Bud will likely be gone; doubly so for Haden who's cap hit is going to sting. Artie seems to be in a "do or die" position although I do not believe he is as bad as others are implying. Sean Davis being a single high Free Safety will be interesting to watch as well.

2018 is quite the proverbial "Baptism of Fire" for Tom Bradley's inaugural season as the defensive backs coach. Let us see what he can do.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wanted defense too, but in the 2nd round the defensive players available just didn't have the value when they were picking. Washington had more value imo. In the third, you can't beat the value for Mason Rudolph. The tackle pick was the head scratcher. I knew they needed to replace Hubbard's spot with a tackle and suggested one in the draft thread (Tyrell Crosby Oregon), but why they went OT over defense there is really the first time they chose offense over defense in picking for value to me.

Anything in the 5th and beyond is a crap shoot to make the roster so I for one am not too upset by their picking more offense early on. With the exception of 3B. And if they went Crosby I would probably be less upset. He seems less of a project and Hawkins does not seem ready to step into that swing tackle role. Okorfor or Crosby wouldn't be either but if Munch likes the guy than wth do I know.

4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I don't think Colbert or Tomlin think that way, maybe they do a bit when it comes to the 1st round but I really think it's always about the BPA that fills a need.

Just going by the draft trade chart the 1st round guy is worth more than all of the other drafted guys put together so while many Steeler fans would be very happy to go defense in the 5th round and later rounds those guys really don't matter more than the UDFA guys.

They only drafted a WR in the 2nd because Oakland offered them a 3rd for Bryant.

QB Mason Rudolph was not a target but he fell and they couldn't pass him up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have taken Griffin there and grabbed Teller in the 5th but you make a good point. Youd have to think Munch had input into drafting Okorafor, have to trust Munch.

• Agree Agree x 1