1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offense Or Defense In The First Round?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 6, 2014.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We are on the same page, maybe not the same paragraph though.

I voted DEFENSE!!!!! Leaning heavy towards the secondary also.

I almost went the way of undecided like steel_elvis because you really always need to go BPA but at #15 we should get BPA/defense to most effectively help this team.

Cajun-

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It can be done by evidence of the Seahawks, Panthers and 49ers but it's more difficult in today's NFL.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cotchery and Sanders are free agents so the Steelers aren't set at receiver. I would try to re-sign Cotchery though he had 8 or 9 TD's last season.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I am in the minority I picked defense,
    watching the Seahawks tonight makes me envious. I love that style of football.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cotchery had 10 TD's last year.:cool:

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    since we draft bpa not for needs in the first round ,i would say let's see who is there at 15 :shrug:

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You don't score, until you score!

8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I want a ball hawkin' corner but my head says offense. I would say on offense they would be looking for either a TE or a WR. On defense I would say they are gonna be looking for a safety or a corner. Maybe if Keenan Lewis had stayed they would be looking straight safety.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If it's defense in the first round then take the best CB on the board, the Steelers secondary is the weak link on the team. I would be interested in Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard. I don't want them to draft a NT or ILB at #15.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree. I haven't done much of my research yet, but right now I think an ideal scenario would be to trade down and land Gilbert. Seems like a pretty complete player that would fit with us, and as a bonus would improve our KR immediately.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I look for us to take one of those wr's. it's been awhile since we had a top wr pick.:cool:

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Only 7 years. It's been 11 years since we took a safety in the first, and 17 years since we took a CB in the first. We've taken 3 WRs in the first round since the last CB. If you don't count Lawrence Timmons (who was drafted as an OLB), the Steelers have NEVER drafted an inside linebacker in the first round.

Not saying that's the way I want to go though. But at the moment I'm leaning to defense.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the league as a whole really started to down play the safety position for a while. it's come back though. last year there were a lot of good ones. this year is kind of sparse. I think our last higher pick of a corner was Bryant McFadden. he was a 2nd. cb is pretty deep in this draft. so is qb,wr,te,olb,ilb and rb. it should be a good year to add some players at spots we need.:cool:

15. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Going to be upgrades on both sides of the ball but i feel the defense will be the the most active going into '14 season. I see a melt down ref. inhouse FA's with vet min.offers. Going to be interesting to view the names working the revolving door. As one here mentioned it takes offense to win your games look over your shoulders.. they had trend winning years with the D taking charge. I feel the organization will concentrate on resurrecting the Steel Curtain.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Just a thought: I know they've had an offense-defense-offense pattern since 2006, and here we all are making our picks, but I'm sure the team itself doesn't know which side of the ball they'll be drafting until they're on the clock. If Jarvis Jones had been drafted one spot ahead of us, we might well have taken offense. Same for all the other years. We'll have to wait and see who is there and what the trade options are, just like Colbert himself.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its sad when you here comments
    I want an impactful CB/Safety
    and in the same phrase. Oh he won't play in this defense for three years. Has to learn the system.
    Folks football is football if you can play,
    and have more talent than what is on the field,
    you should be playing.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    If we draft a CB/S in the first this year, he's not going to sit the bench for three years.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. Jarvis, Shamarko, V Williams, Bell, they didn't sit for three years.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea they saw the field and had some starts, BUT those starts and playing time was because we absolutely had nobody else. it's not that they outplayed the guy they replaced and earned a spot. it was out of necessity. no depth can make guys look better then they actually are sometimes. they played OK and I'm sure will improve with time, but we still have nothing behind them, nor in front of them worthy.

also before you bring up bell, I want to say besides him. < that's how a 2nd rounder should play, in my eyes. that's a big part of your core that is sub par. worilds after 3 1/2 years. gilbert, adams, need I mention sweed. now Woodley is looking like a bad investment lately. we need better drafting in rounds 2-5. we can't afford guys like hawthorne to fail so badly.

there is still a lot of work to do to get us to championship level. you have to have the backups in place too. we are very, very thin at many spots that one or two drafts isn't going to solve. we seem to do better with very late and UDFA's then we do with 2nd round thru 5th round picks. this is what's put us behind the 8 ball so to speak. it's just tough to make up for. :cool:

21. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed..
    Our #1 is a 6th rounder. Need to throw some resources at that position IMO

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The point is, players aren't going to sit as long anymore, different situation now.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes and this is because Colbert is the best GM in the business and we will win it all next year.:cool:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :cry:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's what you are saying , I'm just agreeing. no worries what so ever, if we have kev at the helm of the team.:cool: