1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offense Or Defense In The First Round?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought it would be interesting to take a poll of the board. Do you think the Steelers go offense or defense in the first round?

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i say offense because there are more impact offensive players in themiddle of first round this year

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ditto

This draft looks to me like the ILB you get in round 1 won't be much different than the one you get in round 5. One way or another it looks like the guys is going to have some flaws which will keep him from being elite.

In addition, I think it is more likely that an offensive guy falls to us come draft day.

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I want defense, but I believe they select offense to stick on their schedule.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm probably the lone vote for defense, but I suspect that's how they go. I could really go either way, though. I don't see WR as the pressing need in the first that others do, because this class is so deep. I also think there's a considerable drop off in the ILB talent, not saying that's how they'll go in round 1.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    defense. bottom line is we have to get faster and younger.

7. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    WR and CB are the biggest needs to me. Hopefully a good value at 15 in one of those appears. I like WR Lee from USC.

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I see Watkins and Evans as guys that you probably can't pass over due to their ability to change the face of a game, but Lee may get some consideration. I'm not sure Lee is a guy you take at 15. If no one slips this year, we may actually try to add a pick by sliding back in the draft a couple of spots...maybe to 24/25 and get their 2nd round pick as well?

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That would be pretty ideal.

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    why would we want more picks?

they're all bust

JJ, Bell......:smiley1:

I picked offense

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I really want one of the highly touted TE's, so I'm going offense, I wanted one last year so no surprise I'm leaning that way again. however, I haven't dissected this draft class yet, so I am liable to change my mind and go defense for a CB.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for defense we mean cb , because there are no other defensive needs worth a top 15 pick in this draft . yes there is mosley a lb but i'm not sold on him at cb there are two that can be worth dennard and gilbert ..but are they ready to make an impact immediately on our defense ?
    on offense there are wr ,te, lt

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I voted for offense
    you cant win if you dont score

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would be okay with the pick either way as long as it's the best player available. Although they could use a good CB.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I voted offense. I hope we get a gift and Dennard falls to us, but the guy I think the Steelers will fall in love with is Marqise Lee. There really isn't anything he doesn't do well. Threat to score from anywhere on the field, is a good route runner, and a good blocker. If his knee checks out, he's probably gonna be our guy IMO.

16. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Draft the best zone cover corner, or a ball hawk as a safety.
    They can have immediate impact on what is hurting us most.

17. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I completely agree.

18. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Let me elaborate a little bit:
    We are settled with starters at: QB, RB, TE, WR (Brown & Cotchery or Sanders) and OL (all of them recent high draft picks or FA pickups).
    On D, I think our Coaching staff believes in their LBs (Woodley or Worilds, Jones, Timmons, Foote & Williams + Spence).
    And I'm a true believer that in a passing league we need to settle up for handling passing offenses.
    In order to do so, we need 3 quality front lineman, 4 lbers and 6 DBs

The natural choice for a 1st round seems to be DE (if they are not sold on Hood), NT or any DB.
    We have Al Woods & McLendon as NT, and Hood/Kiesel at DE (one of them should be back).
    We need to be able to have 5 or even 6 DBs on the field at the same time.

Clark will not be back, and W Allen is not the answer.

FS Shamarko's spot (1)
    SS Polamalu / Draft Pick (2)
    CBs C Allen (3), paired with W Gay (4) and I Talyor (5 or 6).
    Nickel CB/ Hybrid LB/SS: Draft Pick / Polamalu (5 or 6)

Troy is aging and has been playing as a Nickel LB or 6th DB, which seems to be a natural fit to his skills.

If we get a capable Safety or CB, we'll be able to have 6 quality DBs.

That's why I say DB.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I voted for Defense, simply because I believe they have more needs.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I voted undecided because I think we should take the BPA other than a QB or RB. We need players on both sides of the ball.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm undecided at this point. I'll have more clarity as we get closer to the draft. I'm leaning toward Mike Evans if he's there in the first but if not, Nix or Dennard and try to pick up Benjamin in the second. Ebron may be another possibility in the first. I really think we MUST get better on defense and need a playmaking CB and a space eating NT, but you can't have too many weapons on offense either. Still pondering...:hmmm:

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What difference does it make? What choice do we have? We need an infusion of young talent at CB. I don't see us signing a starting calibre FA, let alone one good enough to make an immediate impact on our defense. If either of those guys are as good as they're supposed to be, they should be able to make a huge impact in year 2, which is about all you can ask. That's worth a first round draft pick.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I picked offense. mainly the last piece of the puzzle for the O-line.

we also need a starting caliber wr for the #2 spot. I don't see TE as a huge need this year. more of a luxury.

frankly, two, really three, no make that four guys are being gone over with a fine tooth comb this offseason and will determine which way we go.

marcus wheaton and Curtis brown. can wheaton be the #2? can brown be the #2 or even #3?

safety is another concern where we may need someone added,but keeping ike will still be our ace in the hole, even though some are easily dismissing him.

I have a feeling a 3rd guy is being gone over in the offseason and that's shamarko Thomas. he was used a lot as more of a corner last year. do they feel comfortable with him as another corner with safety capability?

my first pick would be O-line though. we could finally get that true LG we have needed forever. this guy can, if the need arises play LT also.

if the ZBS is where they are headed, they have to have the players to run it. that's where the 4th guy comes in. ramon foster.

remember many players on the o-line are in the last year of their contracts.

a good offense will help the defensive deficiencies a lot. it keeps good offenses off the field longer and it makes them a lot more one dimensional.

:cool:

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Art II says that he's happy with the offense, and not so much with the defense, so I would assume that things being equal we'd go defense in the 1st. Besides, we're likely retiring a starter or three on that side of the ball.

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Your defense can stop them from scoring
    Your defense can score
    You can win without the offense scoring

Cajun-