1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd man out, Dobbs or Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, May 9, 2018.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I like both of these players. I don't know thats why I started this thread. I like both of these players for different reasons. If I had to pick I would say right now that Jones is number 2 Mason Rudolph 3 and Josh Dobbs on the practice squad. The thing is I would like to see Dobbs as the number two but he hasn't shown anything. And Landry has won in the NFL. So...

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hope they keep Dobbs and trade Jones, but I expect they'll keep Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    No way they have Dobbs and Rudolph as our only backups at QB. Dobbs will be gone like it or not

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Bunkus. The chiefs kept a rookie as #2. If they think Rudolph is the future he will be the back up. Then it’s just a matter of is saving money more important than needing a ready to go back up the first half of the season

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jones will be mentoring Rudolph, Dobbs is odd man out I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If you want to keep Ben happy then keep Landry. They are buds I believe?

Otherwise I say let them fight it out in camp?

What if Dobbs makes a giant leap in his second year? The kind of leap where you wonder if he is the future and not Rudolph?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    right, cause I have heard "the NFL is a tough business" justification when it comes to cutting Dobbs, I want Dobbs to be given a fair shot... players need to develop...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    who here thinks Rudolph will be on the practice squad?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I hope Mason shows enough good things that they can say goodbye to LOLandry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The team seems pretty comfortable with Landry as the backup. I'd be surprised if they cut or traded him. Dobbs would have to show a lot in training camp and the preseason for that to happen, imo.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think another team would snatch him up. It would be a free third round draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Landry Jones will likely command a good price come the 2019 Free Agency period. That being said, he is still a valuable assest to the team and has shown he is capable of spot duty when called upon. Within the same vein, Dobbs was making progress throughout the entirety of the previous preseason. That also cannot be ignored either.

Considering that the Steelers will likely be tight against the cap in the next NFL year anyhow, that all but leaves one possible outcome; darwinism. Landry Jones is going to be one come next spring anyway. Having someone on the practice squad like Joshua Dobbs is essentially a "pink slip" for any team to acquire a quarterback with starting capable traits. Not a good idea in itself. As such, darwinism will be the deciding factor. In short?

It is as I stated many times over this offseason. Have both Dobbs and Jones compete from Training Camp towards the end of the Preseason. Base their performance off of that. Make the decision from that and move forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not me!

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Mahomes was a different circumstance to be a rookie number two, the chiefs traded some picks to move up in the 1st round to draft him they traded their 2017 ist round pick, their 3rd round pick and their 2018 1st round pick just to move up to draft him,
    rudolph isnt that big of an investment in draft picks to be the 2 qb, jones will be the backup this year no doubt about that, his contract is cheap for a backup compared to other BU qbs around the league and like ben said he will mentor rudolph.....

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It may come down to money. LJ costs more and we only have him for a year. Mason will be the #2. Dobbs will be a #3 throughout the process. New OC. MR will learn. If something happens early in the season Dobbs may jump mason but by the midpoint it will be MR. I'm one of Landry's biggest fans but I think this is it here. Unless Dobbs totally tanks, but fichtner has done more with less at the QB spot while an OC. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Roethlisberger-1, Jones-2, Rudolph-3

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Nick Foles, who joined the Eagles as the backup to Carson Wentz, signed a 2-year, $11 millioncontract with the team that included a $3 millionsigning bonus, like I said we signed landry jones for peanuts.......

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the answer is easy. Let the 3 of them battle it out. Top two move on to Hollywood and last place goes home (or to another team). Seems pretty simple to me.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Practice squad? You do know somebody, anybody would snatch him up quicker than you could blink your eye ,right?

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I guess the front office was willing to take that risk when they drafted rudolph, and they might even get a trade for dobbs in preseason, personally I dont think dobbs will ever be a starting QB, he's just another dennis dixon, geno smith type of qb in my view....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1. Ben 2.Landry. 3. Rudolph

Practice squad or maybe released- Dobbs

Pre-season should be a fun watch this year. I think Spots 2 and 3 are totally open to who plays the best.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph and Dobbs will get just about all of the snaps in preseason games. It wouldn't surprise me if Ben only played one drive in the 3rd game... and Jones only played first drive of games 1 and 2. Roethlisberger and Jones are locks. #3 is the only spot up for grabs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Thats just about how it will go, when you have two QBs that needs all the reps they can get then it's a no brainer they will get the reps, the competition will be between those two, good point mustard.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't believe this is even a discussion. I really can't believe somebody suggested putting Rudolph on the practice squad. Sure, and a few teams will be sneaking their first-rounders onto the practice squad this season, too. :facepalm:

I don't know where people get all this faith in Dobbs. He's got a decent arm and some athleticism, but he really hasn't shown anything special. The Steelers are a contender. Going into the season with Dobbs and Rudolph as the backups when they have Jones as an option would be stupid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Dobbs should get the bulk of the snaps. Mason isnt going anywhere, his job is safe. Let Dobbs show what he can do, if he tanks, you still have Jones who will be the number 2. Theres no reason to force feed Mason snaps and Jones doesn't need them.

If they keep Jones

Ben
    Jones
    Mason

Keep Dobbs

Ben
    Dobbs
    Mason

Mason doesnt even know the playbook, hes behind everybody. Stop acting like they drafted Dan Marino.

Dobbs isn't going to the PS. You just have to put a player you claimed off the PS on your 53, they dont have to start. A #2 QB with starter potential would be an easy poach and a 3rd Rd QB that some had a first rd grade on would go even faster.

• Like Like x 1