1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OC search dragging on for what?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I truly that Randy would get the gig hands down and rather qucikly once BA made his exit, but here we are two weeks later with nothing other than a lot of possible names. To this point I wouldnt mind Randy, Haley, or Hue (HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLLL NO to Zorn) but do you get the feeling the FO is holding out to speak to a possible OC that might be coaching in todays game? You cant tell me the Steelers let BA go and didnt have a subject in mind to hire? Maybe this is all smoke and mirrors and it will be RF in the end, but the long process is odd to me

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They are giving wilson a little more time.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No I think Rooney is waiting on that meeting with Big Ben

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I could be wrong but I honestly don't think anyone on this board knows what is taking the Steelers so long to make a decision.

5. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And you would be right. No one knows what is going on. Speculation would be that if they were going to name Ficthner, they would have already done it. I do believe that Tomlin would have loved to give the job to Wilson, so who knows whats up with that. Maybe they might be waiting on him to get healthy, but its highly unlikely because it will take to long for his healing process.

The Ficthner thing is something I believe the Rooney's don't want because of his relationship with Roethlisberger. They think it would be more of the same as with Arians and they would probably be right. Arians let Ben do what he wanted to do and the Rooney's don't want that. Ben doesn't need another friend, he needs a strong persoanality who can teach him and make him a better QB, not let him do what he wants.

As far as the waiting until the super bowl is over, that can't be possible because the Pateiots OC has already been hired as the Penn States HC, and Kevin Gilbride was the Steelers OC before. I don't think they want him.

Caldwell - already hired as the Ravens QB coach
    Hue Jackson - not interviewed
    Todd Haley - interviewed but who knows with him
    Jim Zorn - I can't believe the Stelers would interview this guy
    Alex Van Pelt - not interviewed, who knows
    The college Coach from Colorodo who is some kin to Colberts - who knows whats up with him

What it comes back to, who knows whats up with the process.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin is waiting for divine intervention, I truly think he doesn't have a clue which direction to go. The NFL coaching circuit is a "good ole boys" recycling system base on networking. I just don't think Tomlin has that many networking friends to consider and the list of potential replacements so far has been underwhelming to say the least. Yes, Wilson was his guy brought in from the college ranks, but he's in critical condition with serious doubts as to if he'll ever even coach at any level in the near future.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I really don't understand the need to make such comments on a message board. Of course we don't know what's going on. Duh. We don't work for the team so we come here to talk about what MAY be going on. Give it a rest.

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I answered a question. Get over it.

9. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Maybe we can come up with what we think is a list of steeler's requirements for the OC. For starters:

No friend of Ben's
    Balance run and pass
    Makes in game adjustments
    Cheap
    Subservient to Tomlin
    No negative vibes/baggage from previous jobs
    Have experience at the pro level

10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    But that's the problem, you didn't answer anything. You just threw out some smart a** comment.

11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think this is it (even though I really don't know for sure).

Ive read that he was the heir apparent, so Im thinking they're waiting to see how he progresses and if it isn't going well, then Fitchner will get the job.

12. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe there waiting on Chad O'Shea pats WR coach.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I have no problem with them not rushing and making a quick decision. Be it giving Kirby more time, or trying to setup interviews with guys, or waiting until the SB is over or whatever else. Theres no need to rush any decision...plus I'm sure as some mentioned they did have a plan when they canned BA. I have a gut feeling it will be announced during the next couple weeks so that they have someone in the position going into the Combine. Just take a deep breath and relax haha

14. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Q: OC search dragging on for what?
    A: No one on this baord knows what is taking so long to make a decision

That is a smartass comment? Could have fooled me.

15. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course nobody knows but there is nothing wrong with speculation. If we could only talk about things we already knew this would be a very boring place. :lolol:

16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    :amen:

17. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i think the better question is: what's the sense of urgency that anyone in our fanbase has in expediting this process?

did we want this thing to get done before the pro bowl?
    for super bowl week?

teams aren't practicing. there are no OTA's. the draft isn't for over three months.

why on earth is anyone frustrated that we haven't named our new OC yet?!

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Let the Steelers do their due diligence and interview as many as they can. I'm a little concerned they have been interviewing the obvious choices out there though.

I would hope they are interviewing some college guys who are really good at calling games, or some unknown and undervalued NFL QB, WR, or TE coaches who know how to call a good passing game.

Maybe that could have been Kirby, but his background as a RB coach, and only a RB coach, makes me wary that he has experience to be successful.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, speaking for myself, I'm not frustrated, just anxious to see who will be leading this offense going forward :herewego:

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I actually wouldn't mind that. When you look at how much Eli's game has improved, that could be a good hire. Ben was great the moment he stepped on the field but I'm not sure if you can say his game has gotten any better. If he could elevate Ben even further, that would be pretty sweet. He could definitely implement the same type of attack with the pieces we have in place.

22. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :applaud:

Yes, totally. I'm hoping that they are interviewing some dark horse candidates in the college ranks, to go along with the NFL guys they've brought in. As for timeline, as long as we have a new OC in place in time for the combine I think we'd be good.

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What divine intervention did you have to tell you this is the case ? It's down right comical the things some folks will say just to try and cheap-shot Tomlin at every turn :lolol:

24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    None, Tomlin publicly stated he wanted his OC & DC back for next year, and one would expect might be somewhat humbled that his superiors did not support his decision by not renewing BA. This is a message board and purely speculation, but to me it appears as if Tomlin is like a deer in head lights... not really sure what to do. I would love to be able to support Tomlin and his decisions, but time and time again he seems to let us down. I'm still waiting for the "he!!" to be unleashed.

25. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Well the new guy is gonna have a heck of a lot of work to do. I'd hate for us to go into next season with him not totally prepared or with the rest of the team not being on his page. This brings up a question. When your old OC gets canned or quits and goes to another team what happens to your playbook? Do you have to completely change it? I know that they have things such as non disclosure clauses built into peoples contracts but I think that's more of an honor issue rather than being practically enforceable.