1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

observations from the Buffalo Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Aug 17, 2014.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    offense
    - Ben looks ready
    - Landry Jones needs to be cut and Kevin Colbert owes us an apology.
    - Wheaton has improved
    - Bryant is a work in progress and needs another two years before we see the fruits from this draft pick.
    - AB is well, AB
    - Mike Adams still needs work. has not improved much from last year.
    - The second string offensive line stinks. And as much injuries we have seen from our starters, some of these guys are going to enter the game at some point. Cody Wallace and Mike Adams are about as good as it gets from this group. I see us drafting at least two more offensive lineman next year.
    - We need a TE opposite Heath Miller. Stop with the 7th round stop gaps.

Defense
    - Shazier is the truth. Still maybe some rookie mistakes but will be exciting to watch.
    - McCullers will shine.
    - Arthur Moats looks stiff and reminds me of Alonzo Jackson.
    - Pressure on the quarterback from out outside linebackers worries me. I know Jarvis JOnes did not play but we got nothing from his backup
    -our run defense worries me. Do we dare start McCullers? McClendon should see some time at DE.
    -After our starters in the secondary, CB worries me.
    -Sharmarko Thomas is making it easier to possibly let Troy go after this year. I know, it won't happen but he's closing the gap.
    -Mauro might have earned him a spot. McClendon, Thomas and Heyward. McCullers, Tuitt and Mauro. Maybe keep Nick Williams but I could go with those 6.
    -Is it anyway we can get Sean Spence on the field with Shazier and Timmons.

Special Teams
    Suisham is worrying me.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe Tomlin said he instructed Suisham to kick short to give Special Teams some work.

McLendon got pushed around last night.

I don't think Adams is as bad as his legend around here, but needs work!

Bryant needs some work , but should make the team. (Bye Moye)

Mauro looks promising (say bye to Arnfelt )

Shazier , oh yeah !

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be honest, I have not seen Mauro play in the preseason, but he is constantly getting his name called. Arnnfelt reminded me of a Chris Hoke....very limited athletically, probably not a high upside, but makes up with it in effort. I think right now there is too much talent on the roster to find a spot for Arfelt right now.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When Mauro has gotten a chance to play he has made some plays, definitely keep him over Arnfelt.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I can't see any reason to keep 3 QBs. Landry Jones is not an NFL QB.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but are they ready to admit it was a mistake drafting him after only playing one season. I think he sticks around for another season.

7. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    According to some reporter (Dale Lolley I think) the Steelers almost cut him last preseason.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Pushed around lol? Could you elaborate?

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    S.McLendon- Got pushed off the LOS consistently and was a big reason our run defense suffered in the first half.

D.McCullers- If you noticed, when he entered the game, our run defense instantly became better.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    - Starting offense is looking nearly ready to go, and we could have an exciting season on our hands with the potential for splash plays. Let's hope the momentum continues.

- I don't see how we're going to settle the WR positions at the bottom end of the roster given the service that Grad and Jones are giving.

- Like what I see from Mauro and Dangerfield.

- I'd like to see some more of the running game in the next few outings. The lack of a solid running game was part of Landry Jones' problem when he came in.

- Still not sure how I'm feeling about our secondary, but both Shamarko and Troy are looking good. I'm expecting Mitchell to step up a bit for the meaningful games.

- Shazier = BOOM!

Just some random thoughts.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Seriously? You lost credibility with consistently. That's not accurate, but you're entitled to your opinion...

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think we have 3 questions yet, with some clear leaders as well.

1. 6th Dlineman?
    2. Last OLB LB?
    3. Do they keep W. Allen or the rookie draft pick in Richardson?

Thomas/McLendon/Heyward....Tuitt/McCullers/Mauro
    I wasn't sure that McCullers would make the roster after the draft, but the kid will make it. Mauro has clearly outplayed Arnfelt and looks great.
    J. Jones/Worilds/Timmons/Shazier/Spence/Williams/Garvin/Moats/Carter or H. Jones or So'oto.
    Here is one of my questions. If you had asked me last week the question was about the last OLB spot and what about Garvin. I think Garvin has the spot without question. Zumwalt I think is WAY too far behind at this point. He is either going to be "hid" so we can slide him to the PS or just cut at some point.
    Ike/C. Allen/Gay/Blake/McCain...Troy/Mitchell/W. Allen/Thomas/Golden
    I think Golden solidified his spot last night. He had a really solid game. I think W. Allen stays as a precaution to Mitchell being a complete flop. I don't think it happens, but at this point, he still doesn't look comfortable IMO. Richardson again is either being hidden or just too far behind now.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Only preseason but the 1.9 yard running game average last night needs to improve. Grad should never be the leading rusher.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Amen.

See my post above - I want to see more evident gameplanning for the 2nd and 3rd stringers. 2 yard loss, incomplete pass, sack and punt will never let us see what Landry Jones can do, let alone the WRs and RBs we've got.

But I'm still largely optimistic about most things.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    agree 100%. It is great they wanted to work on the no huddle but that didn't help the second and third string guys at all. Still a big ? mark at depth on the OLine and running back behind Blount. If some RB is good at special teams that is the only way they will get noticed.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Heck maybe I'm just picking on him because I think we can do much better than him. Maybe he played better than I'm giving him credit for? Guess I was just spoiled by Big Snack in his prime.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would need to see Big Dan go sideline to sideline or show quick change of direction, before I say he gets the starting job.

He is a wrecking ball, but he really only goes forward in one direction.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    The biggest thing I noticed is Wheaton really needs to work on his blocking. Every time I see him try to block someone, they almost always shed the block and make the tackle.
    And Mike Mitchell seems to bring the wood the way Clark use to. Nothing wrong with a little intimidation.

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    offense:
    1. the starting o-line did a great job pass blocking against a top 5 d-line
    2. the offense looks like it's in mid-season form
    3. mike adams will be unemployed next season
    4. so will guy whimper
    5. Antonio brown and markus wheaton looked great against one of the better secondaries in the league
    6. landry jones will be unemployed by the start of next season

defense:
    1. ryan shazier is the truth
    2. josh Mauro is forcing his way onto the team
    3. so is howard jones
    4. I'm not as worried about the run defense as some are
    5. mt. McCullers will log some significant minutes this season

special teams:
    1. i'm starting to feel good about our coverage teams again

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Maybe so...

There's a couple things worth pointing out here. First, if the run game got instantly better in your opinion when McCullers came in, it may have been due to the fact that they only ran it twice and passed it for the next five plays. Even so, McCullers wasn't some magic force in the run game. Here's his second snap of the night, where the runner gets right past him.
    [​IMG]

Here's a play later where McCullers gets pushed over pretty easily for being such a big man.

[​IMG]

Here's another play where he went untouched, but somehow failed to tackle Dixon in the back field.

[​IMG]

This isn't to pick on McCullers, but to point out just a few instances from last night where he struggled against backups. To analyze it a littler further, on the run plays where McLendon was on the field, the average was 4.36 ypc. When McCullers was on the field, it was 4.62.

It's also worth noting that McCullers didn't line up at 0 technique all that much last night.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fair enough.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is why we love you TTF, great job!

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    props to davis as the LS.

so'oto isn't getting enough of hojo's credit.

whimper didn't look as bad as adams pass blocking.

:cool:

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The second play looked like a designed stunt by Mcullers to free up blitzers. Mcullers manged to occupy two blockers on the play.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks, Rush!