1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Obligatory Postgame Complaint Thread (Jags, Wk 5)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Clive From PIT, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    This might be off color, but Ben said this game wouldn't affect him anymore when he walks out of there and see his kids. how hard would it hit him if his kids said " Wow Dad you sucked!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This was one of those losses that reminded me of Steelers from 1985-1988. Steelers of '99 and '03. Point blank horrible.

It was similar to the Dolphins game last year when the Steelers were in it during the 1st quarter and then collapsed. But this was 10 times worse because it was on the home field. The defense played well in the first half and completely fell apart in the 2nd half.

As I've been saying all along, the offense is overrated. Big time. This team is going nowhere if they don't right the ship. Next 3 games are brutal. Chiefs, Bengals (improved) and Lions.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I wonder if Ben has had his eyes checked lately, if not he needs to make an appointment with an eye doctor because his distance perception seems to be way off, and it's possible his head trauma could be involved with his eyes at this point and his age, it just doesn't seem normal he had a career high 5 picks and has been missing deep throws even before this debacle....

4. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Exactly! Why can't they throw back shoulder fades to Bryant, who is 10 feet tall???? Look at the Packers game at the end. That is the play we need in the red zone. Or run it twice from the 2 yard line behind Nix. Don't go empty set and run a horrible play!

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    joey-porter-shirt-off.jpg

This team is soft.

Go on, tellem Joey!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I just don't understand how Tomlin gets a pass over everyone else on this team. Not just this board but the entire city. Tomlin doesn't deserve the loyalty this city gives him. He is way too inadequate for what the organization should strive for in a coach.

*I do not care how many wins he has* I just do not care. He will prove how much of a fraud he is as a gameday coach without a QB when Ben is done.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    On a somewhat related note, I can't understand why people insist that Tomlin gets a free pass when theres more than enough evidence to the contrary, both on this board and in the wider media.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012

Tomlin is replaceable. Coaches like Noll are irreplaceable and coaches like Cowher are not easily replaced. People are so fixated with keeping 1 coach for 30 plus years that they will keep a "Rich Kotite" to cut their nose off to spite their face. Its truly an anomaly.

Tomlin is one step above Rich Kotite (obviously) but Kotite never spent more that 2 years with the 2 teams he coached. But Kotite never had a roster like Tomlin does (and did from 07 to now).

I actually beg to differ if he's really better than Kotite to be perfectly honest. Maybe if they competed in the Special Olympics, that would be epic.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Believe me. Tomlin doesn't get any passes from my house hold. He's so simple for other coaches to figure out. He NEVER game plans against specific teams. Never plays to their weaknesses. Never prepares for their strengths. Goes about his business the same way each and every game from the first preseason game to the last second of survival for this team. With the talent level that this team has I consider him worse than Mediocre Marvin of the Bengals.

If I were the ownership he would have been let go right after the AFCCG last season along with most of the other coaches. I would have promoted Munchak for a 3 year HC contract, gave him the keys to hire a new coaching staff for this season and moved on. This team has absolutely no discipline nor focus anymore. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Funny how Munchak gets a pass around here yet his unit is struggling terribly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes earned some slack. Hes put together one of the best lines in football since getting here.

Gilbert being out hasnt helped and Hubbard has played like hot garbage.

Munch is the best coach at his position in the league. Tomlin, Haley and Butler are not.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with this x 100. I watched the coaches film of the Jags game a couple of times, and our O line play was terrible. Not just bad; terrible. Way worse than Ben's play. Our O line is also the unit that's committing those drive killing penalties. Ben has not been sharp, I don't think there's any denying that. But, the line has been consistently mediocre to downright poor, and every single lineman has made multiple drive-killing mistakes. The TEs as well. James' blocking is crappy as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, Hubbard has been awful, but none of the other guys have played well either. DeCastro's play Sunday was downright toxic to the offense. It made me long for the days of Darnell Stapleton.

IMO Munchak's unit is culprit #1 for our offensive failures.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, funny, I was just posting this when I saw you quoted me.

PFF has the line ranked 9th and 5th in pass blocking. They have DD ranked as the best guard in the league. So maybe just a bad game on Sunday. I havent watched, so I cant counter what you said.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some slack maybe, but a promotion? No Way!

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What this game truly needs in order to be cathartic, is a Hitler reacts to Ben throwing 5 picks in Steelers loss to Jags video.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So putting together one of the best lines in football isnt worthy of job promotion consideration?

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No PWP could do that (green font)

Edit using only DHB

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With all due respect everybody on the line with the exception of AV was here before he was. So I wouldn't say he put the line together.
    Has he been an Intercal part in their success? Yes! But through five games this year they are struggling.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, he didn't exactly like it up last time as a head coach?
    A few years ago Butler had one of the best groups of linebackers in the league. You want to give him the head-coaching job?

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I disagree that he is struggling terribly. I think he is the best out of all the other coaches that we have on this team. There have been a few bad games but for the Oline but he hasn't been as bad as Haley, Butler, Smith or Tomlin in regards to their responsibilities and duties as far as I'm concerned. Danny smith has been decent so far this season but the other 3 haven't impressed me at all. Honestly, I would have blown up the coaching staff immediately after the AFCCG and gave Munch a chance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I won't get into a discussion on the validity of PFF rankings. I personally think they're just as hit and miss than the "analysts" on ESPN that cover several different sports and don't know one sport well. However, since that's a frame of reference I will say that I can sort of see the 5th ranking in pass blocking efficiency over the full 5 games. Ben was fairly well protected this season until the Jags game where DeCastro was consistently beaten in pass protection (as were others). The run blocking, on the other hand, has been mediocre other than the Ravens game. It was awful vs. the Jags. Steeler Depot has a nice "film room" article with a a few clips of plays that I remember well from Sunday, including one of the worst double whiffs (by DeCastro and James) that I've ever seen by lead blockers. Ugly.

Checking penalty stats, we have the most combined false start and offensive holding penalties in the league (17). Only the Colts and Rams have more false starts, and only the Cards have more offensive holding penalties. I didn't see a breakdown by position, so I'm sure some of these penalties for us and the other teams are at other positions as well. Overall, we're a very heavily penalized offense, and I can recall at least 3 or 4 drives that were killed in opposing territory due to O line penalties.

Here's the thing - last season the O line was a strength. It was one of the key reasons that we excelled down the stretch. Right now it's a key reason for our offensive doldrums, and settling for field goals in the red zone. That's what my eyes tell me when I watch

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, this is what I meant, that he is responsible for them being among the best lines. Last year they were very healthy, this year not so much. Makes a huge difference, more so with offensive lines than any other unit.

He was HC of the Titans, werent exactly a talent factory and had a 36 year old Matt Hasselback at QB. Imagine what NE would have missed out on if they judged Belichick by his record in Cleveland.

Munch is know to be a tactician, very into fundamentals. If Im not mistaken, this team doesn't tackle very well among other things, maybe his attention to detail would be helpful. I have no idea if he would be successful as HC here but to rule him out of the conversation seems a tad over the top to me.

23. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Yes I completely agree. We do have Bryant back who hasn’t seen the ball like he should. LeVeon in the slot along with Schuster. We needed to do what we did against Baltimore. Run the ball with Bell 35-40 times. The Jags have the #1 rated pass defense and we throw the ball the whole game because Brown had a temper tantrum. Come on do we want to win or appease Brown? It’s seems like it’s appease Brown at the cost of a win. Now we have to go to KC and beat the Chiefs. Good luck!

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hmmm..Wanted to see a little of the Ben talk this was fun to scan back through....I hope CROW was on sale the last month...They must me selling a lot of it.

[​IMG]

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    They never admit they're wrong. They'll dust off the same arguments next year when we lose a game. But this is not that year.