1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Obligatory Postgame “Yeah, But...” Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Clive From PIT, Oct 15, 2017.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I hated that we didn't just try to run Bell three times when we got the ball to goal line with Bell.

And Ben continues to be off but he seems to be inching closer. Or I am just hoping that is true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Him too!

• Like Like x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think they ever looked his way which was strange because Davis is usually his over the top help and has been shakey but didn't get noticed today.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My only complaint was using Chick with Deebo. Chick is getting better but not a real threat beyond one on one so they can get that extra help to Harrison's side. I'd like to see them have TJ in there maybe walk him into the middle like they were with Bud and Watt

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The goal line play calling is pathetic.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're right - look at what it got Mr Lincoln.................

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hated that we ran out of the gun on that first and goal after doing soo well with Nix in there.

Punt returns were scary.

Sucks but I feel like we lucked up. KC was robbed of a td and Browns circus catch could have easily picked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're wasting your time with PWP. He means well, but he doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of how the game is played at the Pro level.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    but they still look like they need some work on wrapping up and tackling their man

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    To put up close to 450 yards of offense and only come away with 17 points is awful. For whatever the reason, they just can't seem to put points on the board.
    Still scratching my head why Tomlin didn't decide to go for two yesterday on the two touchdowns. It seemed like if ever there was a time to do that, yesterday was it.

And, this is something that the team can't fix, but the officiating has just been bad. On nearly ever positive play the Chiefs offense had, there was a fairly blatant hold not called. It seems like every year the officiating seems to be getting worse (see also: Jets getting boned on a TD vs Pats).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm extremely happy for the win, but this is the truth.

13. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will add my 2 cents

First off I will take a win any day of the week and the D was dominant for most of the game except for a few mental lapses BUT

1/ We were set up 1st and goal from the 2 and instead of running the ball AGAIN we pass. This is the fault of either HALEY or BEN. Situational and basic sound football indicates you run the ball there especially when you owned time of possession in the 1st qtr and were gashing the chiefs in the run game. Besides that WE HAVE OPTIONS. Conner and Bell in the backfield with 1 splitting wide on snap, Nix & Bell with Nix as lead blocker, Nix on upback carry or how about that boulder that we use on 3rd and 1 named Terrell Watson?

2/ We had (2) other 3rd and short situations in the 2nd half and each time we chose to pass. I understand that Haley seemingly has been a pass first kind of coordinator (it drove Steelersnation fans crazy in the beginning) but I believe sometimes the play calling is too tricky for its own use and good. There was a play in the 2nd half where it was 3rd and short and he pulled AB and Leveon off the field, Martavis was to the right, no receiver to the left and I'm wondering WHY? I also wonder if Haley is going to be the right coordinator with a new QB once Ben retires.

3/ I understand going for the win with the 1st down at the end of the game BUT for me with how the D was playing you run the ball 3 straight times and force KC to use timeouts and make them drive the length to beat you. We incompleted a pass at the end and the clock stopped leaving KC with more time that they should have had (fortunately it worked out)

4/ Mike Mitchell.......Man I'm really not a fan of this guy for many reasons but first and foremost he's not a teacher or leader of young men. He is the same undisciplined, late to run support, bad angle taking, late hitter making dude that he's always been. I wrote in another blog last year that the Steelers can and will be a better team once they find his replacement

5/ Your O-Line specifically Gilbert and Foster have nagging injuries, the type that may not get 100% till after the season (back & hamstring) I will keep my fingers crossed though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand all to well . If you play that good you need to put Teams away .If you don't it will cost you future games . This is true on every level of Football .

If your O fails to score points it will cost you games at some point . The Texans got up today and put the Team away . It was about today's game not last week. Some peeps fail to know what dominate should look like .

Here is a good way to look at it . If the Pats ran for that many yards and shut the other Team down for the entire half like that what would that score be ? At least 35 by half time . That would be dominate.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Our QB play is still bad. Not winning anything without Ben playing well.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Agree with a few others here, but.... we should have scored more points.

Very predictable that with a little over 2:00 left in the game..... at a critical point.... we'd go 3 & out. Defense (James Harrison), definitely closed it out and bailed the offense out on that last KC drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    That's one thing that worries me......there have been far too many situations this year (well, not just this year) where there are too many 3 and outs when a 1st down is badly needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I still dont trust this team to play at a high level every week,if the defense can play like they did yesterday then why cant they do it every week, the offense can produce 500 yards of offense but cant get 20 points, this offense has problems holding on to 12 points till the 4th quarter thats a dangerous way to let a team hang around, happy about the win but the next 10 games will determine what kind of team they are, do they turn their effort on and off or are they going to string wins together to get my trust back, are they jeckel and hyde or are they going to be legit for the long haul....

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    While they really do need to play more consistently, sometimes it has more to do with the specific match-up than with being consistent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Good win but not enough points as the steelers dominated the 1st half. Actually had good play calling in the 1st half, passing on 1st downs, even from our 1 yard line, running on 3rd and 7, we even passed when we had a fullback in the game, something we didnt do against Jax, we had the Chiefs on their heals and they didnt know weather we were going to pass or throw.

In the second halve we went conservative and became predictable again and made it a lot closer then it should of been. We just dont know how to put teams away even when we dominate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    There is no “Yeah, but” running around in my head. We defeated a team that was a tough opponent by anyone’s standards and a large part of that was due to our D.
    I can’t understand those who say “They fell apart in the 4th!” Really? They gave up a couple of big plays yeah but they made a final stand when they needed to.
    Did our O look perfect and do everything right? No. But they did enough and along with the D they won as a team.

Keep it together, keep improving and keep fighting.

We’re 4 - 2 with a lot of games left to play and this game makes me excited to see what happens next. We can be champions or we can be chumps - it’ll be a lot of fun seeing which we’ll end up as.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know about 'not having it anymore, he's still an experienced, competent QB. But I'll say one thing, he can't throw deep anymore, and it sure seems like he realizes it and doesn't really try to. Get use to screens ,dump off to backs, and tossing the ball downfield and hoping AB comes up with it. Cuz that's the Steelers asking game now.

23. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My observation is that both this year and last year, Ben started out the early season with a lot of passes that are over thrown. Yesterday, there were a couple that were a little over thrown, but they were closer. I hope that he'll adjust a little and it will get better.

24. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with all but number 3 and I'll explain. I think the reason they chose to throw on 3rd and 2 is they just watched KC go down the field and score in 26 seconds, remember the Cowboys game? The defense dominated but they looked as if the communication was breaking down toward the end, Burnt blew not one, or two, but 3 coverages on the last 2 KC possessions so it was imperative that the Steelers try to covert and keep KC offense off the field. I do think every team knows that the slant is coming anymore, when they showed the aerial views of the 3rd down passing plays it is evident that everyone is covered tight so those throws are dangerous but I think they needed to score or just keep the chains moving.

25. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I hated play calling inside the 2 yard line, as well as after AB catch on 2nd and long on which he came back and barely missed first down. I wanted power runs but got shotgun empty sets look. Hate it, plus lost my fantasy matchup by 1 point. TD by Bell would've given me win. But still, hated the playcalling.

• Agree Agree x 1