1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Obi Melifonwu vs. T.J. Watt: Round One

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Mar 7, 2017.

1. T.J. Watt. Him and Dupree will wreak havoc day one.

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Obi Melinfownu. Having Obi patrol the deep middle with unleash Sean's full power.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I went with TJ. I'm still hunting for more film (I've actually resorted to watching film of offensive players that played Wisconsin in 2016 to check him out). However, with what I've seen to date I think he'll be very solid.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Going Obi. He's a size/speed/athletic ability freak of nature, that only comes around every few years or so. And if Gronk thinks he's going to go over the top of that guy, he's got another thing coming. And I honestly don't believe Watt will be the best OLB prospect there at 30, and I think there will be comparable talent at OLB at 62. Unless we are looking for more of a free safety, I say go with Obi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Obi, I don't think Watt is a first rounder.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm going watt. it will solidify the front 7. he's a pretty solid bet.

do we just dump mitchell? put davis on the bench? to be honest i don't think obi will be there. he could even pass adams for the top ss. may even go before peppers if a team has him locked at ss.

i would go after josh jones in the 2nd. still a big dude that is fast, strong and can jump. the college numbers are very comparable.

awuzie would be hard to pass on in the 2nd too. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh man, I don't know, TJ had a great combine too and has tape to back it up.

Id be happy with either one, truthfully.

The 3 guys I want the most at 30, as things stand right now: TJ, Obi and Peppers.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Neither , but if I was selecting one it would be Watt. We need pass rushers badly.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I went with Obi, the physical talent is too much to let pass. And he wouldn't be pressed to start right away with Mitchell still here. Not saying Watt would need to start either, but its not as pressing with the safety spot. Obi could come in on big nickel though and cover those TEs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I tend to agree with the others who commented on Watt at #30. I'd hope there's still someone higher on our board at the end of the 1st. In this particular situation, with how much depth there is at positions of need for us this year, trading back would be a no-brainer if it was down to these two choices.

Obi seems like a player who has every God given talent there is, but I don't know much about him to gauge how teachable he is. As the mock draft on here gets closer I'll start researching more, but with what I know right now, and the fact that Watt has an older brother who can help him learn the ropes as well, I'd have to choose Watt.

We've seen teams in the past fall too much in love with combine numbers, and too many times...those #'s amounted to jack***t in the NFL. Between the ears is where 95% of success lies...

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Watt has that pedigree from his brother JJ to give him that (it) factor, he has the master at his position in JJ who he can call anytime for advise and who will train with him and push him in the off season to be the best he can be, and that counts for a lot with a rookie to have someone to fall back on to motivate him, I would love to see us draft him in this draft....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thing with Obi is it's not just combine numbers. He was outstanding at the Senior Bowl. His numbers as far as tackling, pass breakups, etc. are outstanding. He was a nobody before the Senior Bowl because he plays for Connecticut, doesn't get on tv every week, and doesn't play in a major bowl game. But he was still considered a 4th or 5th round pick with no one knowing who he is.

With that being said, TJ Watt's SPARQ score is very high (3rd among edge rushers) and if we could get him and Marcus Williams at safety in the second round (first SPARQ among safeties), who is more of a true free safety, which I believe is what we are looking for, I think our defense will be improved greatly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    watt's name alone will garner interest..... I hear his work ethic and drive is equal to his brother's.... If that's the case, he may not make it to pick 30... but if he does, we'll be hard pressed not to take him

13. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Obi is a freakishly athletic FS.. but I know he's a really bad tackler and doesnt have very good cover skills.

Id take TJ RD1.. can cover, can tackle, get to the qb and already knows the 3-4 zone.

Then id take Marcus Williams in the 2nd.. dude is a great safety who is freakishly athletic. 43in vertical ran a 4.56. 6'1 201. Ballhawk and smart asf!

Then Id take Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado. I think my boy Kevin King will be gone late 3rd.

Then Id take Dede Westbrook WR Oklahoma.. he'd make that SWR/KR/PR position dynamic.

14. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Reading my mind bro.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The second round is killing me. I would take any of Marcus Williams, Tyus Bowser or Chris Godwin and be thrilled. I put Williams in the 3rd in my sig but that's probably dreaming. He'll go way before that imo. Maybe his slim build will drop him some but no where near our 3rd unfortunately. So many great picks at that second round spot.

16. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Im not into Godwin at all.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    what do you not like?

18. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Id take Williams #2. He's a Top 5 safety depending on what you value.

19. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Im not sure he is sure handed or agile enough to play SWR or if he could beat out anyone. I think he'd have to be an upgrade from Eli, Coates, Heybey, Ayers and Cobi immediately to just to make tje team and im not sure he can.

20. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Dede Westbrook is fast.. can catch.. agile and returns kicks. 4 things AB and MB backups dont do collectively

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He would be an upgrade over Coates, DHB, and Hamilton in my eyes.

22. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    He's not faster than DHB.
    Has Equal speed as Coates but doesnt have his hops.
    So I'll give you Cobi.

Now I ask you.. would you waste a 3rd Rd pick on someone who will be on the practice squad? I wouldnt.

1. Ab
    2. Mb
    3. Eli
    4. Coates
    5. DHB
    6. Ayers
    7. Godwin?
    8. Cobi

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

as to obi's smarts which probably transfers well to teachable. :cool: