1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Mar 27, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have not talked a lot about it this off season. Munch and sarrett have been quietly making the rounds though. Ramon foster is a well liked player. He has had off season surgery. He's also getting up there in age and seasons played. Finney is our interior backup but, is it time to take the reigns as the new starter? He has played better at guard than center but has filled the gap when needed.

Our swiss army knife is gone in Hubbard. That leaves the center backup position pretty thin if indeed Finney takes over the guard spot. Hawkins, though he has filled in some as a blocking TE at times has not really taken the next step. Matt feiler is next in line. Not very mobile but has earned a spot so far. He is mostly a guard and right tackle type player. Similar to Ramon.
    Munch seems to be looking at mobile tackles so far according to his pro day visits that we have heard about. Bigger mobile guys too. Where do these types fit us? Will they change position if we get one? Will we draft one? Do we go heavy after some UDFA types? We have some need. :cool:

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding the new "Swiss Army Knife" of offensive lineman, more than likely that will be addressed in the draft in the later rounds.

Considering that Finney is likely the heir apparent, finding another guard will not be an issue. Plenty of quality depth ones as UFDA's.

As for tackle, do they really want to give up on Jerald Hawkins already? If so, that would likely be one of the fifth round picks. If not, refer to the guard situation above but insert Hawkins as the swing tackle.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We will need that center capable player added. If Hawkins is truly in the plans he will have to step it up. Having him as the swing tackle on game day right now doesn't make me feel all warm inside. Gilbert has quite an injury history. I do think this concern about our depth is something that may require more attention than is being made of it right now. I will say though that munch and sarrett have been on the move. I would expect at the minimum a 5th rounder to be had in this draft as well as several priority UDFAs.:cool:

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Until after the draft and FA I am not concerned about OG. Finney played well. They will draft a Swiss army knife in the later rounds. I am more concerned about a legit edge rusher (unless Dupree finally lives up to his draft slot), ILB (even if FA turns out well we are thin) and S unit (will Davis be good enough even if we have another decent S?) And even IF Bell finally shows up, we need depth at RB; Conner will be hurt all the time from even 5 touches a game. I've said from the moment they drafted him, his rushing style will have him constantly dinged. And we could use a TE (unless McDonald can stay healthy). And I still say we need a leegit NT, as we have none on the roster.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We also saw Hubbard play most of the season. I'm not so sure we protect old #7 with just any after the draft guy off the scrap heap either. We also know come game day, we better have some good subs ready to play. Especially a center capable guy. Let's not forget a good tackle too. We don't have that right now and it takes a couple of years to produce these Swiss army knife types. This is a bigger deal than most think. Everyone wants to worry about the defense but we will have a big change on offense if we can't block up front. :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    More No Huddle will keep Ben clean. We have some depth at this point and arguably the best O line in the business, which will come back intact. Hubbard leaving was no surprise. Finney is a C/G, like said could be a starter, then you have Fieler and Hawkins OT. I can see them bringing in some faces later on in the draft although we have no 4th or 6th. Maybe one of the 5ths. And with 3.6 left in cap space there is no room to entertain a FA. Maybe wait for camp cuts. Always good to freshen up the bigs but their is bigger concerns to address first.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Ramon is coming off of shoulder surgery and is aging quickly. Gilbert rarely makes a full season. Hawkins is not that good. If Finney were to start we don't have that interior guy that can play center. We have seen many times the need for a 3rd center on game days. We don't have that now. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was in Rays chat that I saw Hawkins mentioned. I believe he said he saw more playing time down the stretch and that maybe the light has come on for him.

Munch said it takes about 4 years for lineman to really get it and he said that in regards to Gilbert. This will be Hawkins third year, so maybe he is starting to come around.

While I still think ILB is the likely first rd pick, I think the addition of Bostic and Burnett have made pick 28 truly best player available (minus QB, I dont see it happening) maybe they go lineman. He wont drop this far but Id be very happy if Nelson was the pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i doubt its the first pick but it wouldn't surprise me if by rd. 5 we are looking hard. some of the guys munch and sarrett have looked at may even go a bit higher. maybe they have plans of using that 5th and 7th to gain an earlier pick. i'd like to see hawkins work out but it still leaves us fairly short of linemen. i'd hate this to be a problem if we have an injury. i'm not sure we have made many seasons without one or two. :cool:

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will see OL addressed 6th & 7th and UDA for depth.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No 6 ths this year. Two 7 ths . and like the old alcho. 2- 5ths.:smiley1::cool:

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd love if Nelson fell to us! I'd say there's no chance that happens...except I said that very thing about Decastro the year he was drafted. We lucked out then so maybe it happens again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Foster is getting better with age and was one of only 3 interior linemen in the league to not give up a single sack and has earned the right to stay as the starting LG despite a very heavy push from finney..... Finney can wait his turn for now, but that turn will come soon enough.....
    As for Hawkins, I have not closed the book on him just yet.... feiler is more mobile than most think, and it was that mobility that caught my eye and had me singing his praises when we brought him in.... he will be our swiss army knife with a late rd draftee to groom later

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Foster has played pretty well but now the shoulder surgery. We will see how he responds. As for feiler, he has never played center. He's pretty tall for that. Again we will see. We need 3. We have needed 3 the last couple of years at times. Hawkins will have to get better before I want him protecting Ben on the edge ever. Who goes to LT if AV goes down for any amount of time? We always have at least 3 guys capable of playing tackle. I can see us bringing in several new linemen for the preseason and I hope a few are worthy. :cool: