1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Numbers Game: Can't Tell the Players Without a Scorecard

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, May 19, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The shuffling of players won't be the only reason the Steelers' secondary will look different in 2018.

Four of the returning defensive back will wear different numbers than they did in 2017.

https://www.steelers.com/news/davis-i-had-to-grab-it

Mike Mitchell's departure started the chain reaction that led to three of the changes. That allowed Joe Haden to switch from 21 to 23, the number he had worn for the Browns.

That opened up 21 for Sean Davis, who wants to wear it to honor Sean Taylor, who he idolized as a kid. Mike Hilton will take Davis's former number, 28, switching from 31. At least there will be a guy wearing 28 who can tackle. And any change for Davis has to be a good thing, right?

The other switch is Cam Sutton from 34 to 20, which became available when Robert Golden was cut.

None of this will mean much of anything once the games start, but anything that passes for news between the draft and training camp, right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    As long as nobody's wearing 75 I'm good.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The guy that wore 28 did lead the team in tackles. So if he couldn't tackle what does that say about the rest of them? When you are around the ball all the time and attempting tackles, of course you will probably miss some. Throw in the fact that he had to cover too, and not to mention he led the team in interceptions too, he did a pretty good job. Davis did a better job than most give him credit for. In his 3rd year and has played 3 different position too. Give the kid some credit. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He took a big step backward last year, especially later in the season. He has some ability, but misses too many tackles and takes terrible angles in pursuit.

Also, Hilton is a much more sure tackler than Davis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    In my over 48 years of following the Steelers I can't remember them

bringing in so many players. They are atleast trying all avenues.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He did not take a big step backwards. He led the team in two categories. Tackles and interceptions. That is hardly a big step backwards. It was also his first full year of starting. He did quite well. Plenty to build on.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Everybody misses tackles, Sean Davis hopefully will get better. I don't complain about him but I really wish he would've caught that potential game-ending interception Tom Brady threw to him ...could've made it a better season for us

8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sean Davis is good when he is up near the line in run support, that is it. I respect your opinion but you have to look at the body of work, stats can be misleading. If you go an watch the Lions game you'll see what everyone is referring to when they say he has taken a step backwards.

He is consistently out of position when he has to make a read on a play, and his poor angles in pursuit have only gotten worse over time. I'm holding out hope that Burnett can teach him a little bit but I'm guessing the coaching staff isn't big on him with the amount of safeties they have taken in FA as well as the draft.

He has the physical gifts to be a great player but I just don't think he has the football I.Q. or natural instincts at that position to play at a high level in the NFL. I also would not be surprised if he ends up regulated to sub packages and special teams if one of the new acquisitions has a good camp or if he hasn't shown any improvement.

Remember, Ross Cockrell was the starter going into camp and not only lost his job but was let go. It wasn't just the fact the Hayden became available either, he was looking really bad and they knew that getting anyone else would probably be an improvement. I'm thinking Davis ends up in the same situation only they will keep him and not renew the 5th year option. If you have games recorded go back and watch how he has played, he does make a play every now and again but he gives up so many it hurts more than helps.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We will have to agree to disagree on Davis. I believe he will be a much better FS then a SS up around the LOS. That is what we drafted too, a lot of SS types. They will not threaten davis' position as a FS. As for the bad game at times, it happens, heck Ben has clunkers too. Mitchell is the guy that hurt us last year. Stats are misleading at times but tackles are tackles and when you lead the team in them, you are doing your job. As for the dropped pick, well that even shows he was in the right place. Cockrell had his moments but was easily upgraded, we had better players for that position, Davis will be better than Mitchell at FS. He never should have been playing SS. One or two bad games or sub par plays in a game here and there does not denote a big step backwards, it means it was his first full season as a starter with some sub par players around him at the time. We are pretty set at safety now. I see some good things from this defense coming this year. Much improved from last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Davis was playing next to a washed up cement shoes player that was done. Yes Davis at times takes bad angles, misses tackles. But he wasn't the issue why this defense was subpar. Stats? Let's look at the stats about this defense. Sure made them look better then they were, until you took the eye test and opened the cellar door to see the real reasons.

I feel Davis has plenty of upside and with finally a real secondary coach with an extended resume.

11. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Right! Davis had better hope he has a number period. Maybe playing well would better honor Taylor.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You can believe that Davis took a big step backward last year and that he has the potential to be a good player. Some of you seem to be struggling with that concept.

mac daddyo is just looking for ways to delude himself.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No I am not trying to fool myself or anyone else scribe. You are however trying to tell others how they should think. What you are saying about Davis is far from reality. He's still here so the team must think he's doing something right. You know nothing about me, so telling anyone that is my goal really makes you look petty and uniformed. I do know a little about football player evaluation. I've done it for a living for a long time my friend.:smiley1::cool:

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt that, especially given how badly you are evaluating Davis's performance in 2017. He got progressively worse as the season went on. He constantly took bad angles and missed key tackles, allowing good runs turn into big plays. He wasn't much better against the pass. One hope was that he could at least make a valid attempt at covering guys like Gronkowski. That clearly didn't work, though to be fair, very few defensive backs have any luck with him.

Perhaps you are confusing talent and upside with performance. Davis has ability and upside. He showed it as a rookie and early last season. What he did not do is perform well in 2017. He wasn't as bad as Mitchell, but he was quite close. There is a reason the Steelers made a safety their key free agent addition, drafted another in the first round and yet another later in the draft.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You can doubt all you want, it doesn't make you right though. The reason for all the safeties is shazier, Mitchell and golden. :cool: