1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Number 1 Receivers over the years.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Hines Ward proved at the University of Georgia that he was simply a football player that would help the team win in any way he could. He played WR, TE, RB and FB. When their QB went down he even filled in and played QB for a few games. If you needed an upback to block on the punt team, Hines would gladly volunteer for it.
    He brought this mentality to the Steelers when he came here. If the Bus was on a roll and carried the ball 30+ times then Hines was more than happy to block with all his heart for the game. If he had one catch for 7 yards but the team won then Hines was overjoyed. Even though he did eventually have good stats for his career, he never cared about them. He was about winning period and that made him a great Steeler.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not comparing Brown's numbers to Ward's. I'm comparing them to their contemporaries. Brown earned first-team All-Pro honors four times and it should have been five. Ward was never close.

Brown was damn near unstoppable on a consistent basis. Ward just wasn't on that level.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that many folks here can't get past their disdain for Brown and their love for Ward to see clearly. What seasons was Ward even among the top five receivers in the game? Were there any? Brown was the very best in the game for four or five seasons. 'Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He'll get in. T.O made it in.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Wrong again. I've gotten over AB & still believe that Hines was better. :shrug:
    AB was a blessing until he wasn't. Fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Only thing HInes was better at was being a good human being. Hines was great! Love him to death loved watching him play! That being said AB is a million times the receiver hines was. Not even on the same page. AB was a once in a lifetime receiver as well as a once in a lifetime douche bag as well. I wont try to change your mind just like i wont argue with a flat earther. Somethings are just silly and i have a better shot at achieving immortality thru 25 shotgun blows to the head than debating this with you.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Had to stop at miillions x the wr...lol

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Cause that's the only reason to pick hines over AB tbh. Is ones disdain for AB. Other than that it's literally no debate on who was the better receiver.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No it isnt. There are many reasons to take Hines over AB. If AB was still here I'd still take Hines, keep slinging at the wall. Not everyone agrees about AB's legacy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hines, IMO, was a more complete receiver. Hands, blocking, returns….. you could always count on Hines to catch whatever was thrown at him, knowing he was going to get hit! I’d take him over Brown too. Wes Welker as well

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Super Bowl MVP is quite the accolade. WR is a tough position to rack up a lot of First Team All Pros.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Especially when playing with a different Qb your 1st five years, on a predominantly running team

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed the Super Bowl MVP is. However and, again, the length of time of ones dominance is what gets that person into Canton; not a specific point. Hines Ward does have a Super Bowl MVP award as a Receiver; one of only six that can say so at present.

That said, while a Super Bowl MVP does present a good case to get into Canton, the most compelling cases are First Team All Pro awards. More often than not, the more one has, the better their chances of being inducted; save for and, again, extreme cases.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Donnie's issue likely stemmed from the same issue that is sadly keeping LC out currently; victims of their own success. That 70s Steelers Team was by far and away the most talented the NFL had ever seen before or since. That said, such immeasurable talent does come at a cost; overlooking equally great talented players. For Donnie, this more than likely was the reason; not a good reason but the likely one all the same.

Even so, Donnie's argument as to why he should have gotten in sooner was the fact that his best years were after the end of the Steel Curtain. L.C. though is a major mystery to me as he is only one of a handful of players since the NFL introduced the All Decade Team that is not in.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nah. I'm right. You just need to be more honest with yourself.

I hope you aren't watching the game tonight. You might break something. Brown has 118 yards and a touchdown before halftime.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is, which makes Brown doing it four consecutive seasons that much more impressive.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm watching, AB looks elite.

18. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hines hands down. What have any of those other guys mentioned above done? Not much when compared to Hines.

• Winner Winner x 1