1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Number 1 Receivers over the years.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 7, 2021.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Who the hell is Andre Johnson?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Should the increase in pass attempts league wide apply to Hines or just AB?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    A nobody with #s, played for the Texans. Didn't do s***.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Someone who will end up in the hall before Hines ward

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And guess who will make the hall before Hines ward.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was talking about ab and Ward. You do realize the rules, and the game is played way differently now. You do realize we were a predominantly run team back during most of Wards games, and almost nobody was throwing like they do 2 day,and you could kill a Wrs as soon as he touched the ball, not .....a flag for defenseless Wr. LoL, but again stats don't tell You that.
    ab is not a pimple on H. Wards A$$ on what He Brought 2 this team through the Years.
    Also liked how you have skirted the ab playing for nothing but HOF Qbs his entire career. By bringing up other people....Cute.:thumbs_up:

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB does have what they call "it". Can't deny his eliteness. Hines had "it" in the football world without the air Coryell. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought he was talking about Calvin Johnson... and screwed up the first name. :icon mrgreen:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I wouldn't really consider Megatron a part of Hines Era. His Era was the 2010s.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because if hall of farmers made ab they should make others too. And it's funny how you all flipped it. First it was ben and now it's well he played with another hall of fame. Ab is the only common denomiator between Ben and Brady.

Also moss, T.O, Steve Smith, holt, etc.. played in the same Era and all have better numbers. That doesn't matter. Hines just wasn't that guy. He was a great player and will eventually get I'm the hall of fame but he's not on the level of those type of guys.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Are you trolling?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    CJ started playing in 2007.... so there was overlap with him and Ward for five seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Hines was a great player. Not denying that but it's levels to greatness. He was a tier below the best of the best in terms of receivers. He still will get in the hall. Art monk was no where near Rice, Carter, Irvin, Tim brown etc.. but he still got in the hall of fame.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Joking..... I thought he was talking about Megatron and messed up the name. I remember Andre Johnson... he was a good WR.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Andre was a freak of nature himself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We'll see. Ward has a lot of allies in the Hall who will push to get him in. I didn't think Donnie Shell would ever get in and he did.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're right. But when think Hines ward era I think guys who played in the early 2000s like moss, T.O, Marvin Harrison, Andre Johnson, holt, Reggie Wayne, etc..

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Good argument. Hines could play both sides, probowl level. Beat that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ward will get in..he just will have to wait a while

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Any football analyst with a clue acknowledged Brown as the best in the game. Some were too caught up in Julio Jones's size to realize Brown was better for a little while, but most came around. I get the hatred for Brown, but he was better than Ward. He was damn near impossible to cover for years. He made the routine catches. He made the spectacular ones. He went over the middle. He could make plays on the deep ball and turn short tosses into big plays.

Ward was a better teammate. He was a better Steeler because, for the most part, he did and said the right things throughout his career. (I say for the most part because he was out of line the time he bad-mouthed Roethlisberger for being honest about concussion symptoms and missing a game against the Ravens. That doesn't come close to the level of Brown's meltdown.)

Ward was never a first-team All-Pro. Brown was a first-team selection four consecutive seasons, from 2014-2017. The year before that, he caught 110 passes for 1,499 yards. The year after the streak, he caught 104 passes for 1,297 yards and led the league with 15 touchdowns while playing only 15 games.

If you actually look at what they were as Steelers objectively, it really isn't close. Brown was better.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think AB’s inate weirdness and his quitting on, no one, but two teams, will keep him out of the HoF. I hope that makes the Hines backers happy. Good news! AB ain’t getting in! Bad news? Neither is Hines.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is certainly possible, but what if he puts up big numbers this year in Tampa? What if he has a few more good seasons after that? He probably needs to surpass 1,000 career receptions and make the top 20 in career receiving yards. Add that to a run of four or five seasons that he was the best receiver in the game and at least one Super Bowl ring and his resume might get him in after all.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    More talented, better wr i concede, better football player was Hines imo. Yes I'm salty over the way he departed & agree that AB (Hines also) was way more clutch than Julio. What is missing in these stat #s arguments is the volume of targets. Hines wasn't in Pittsburgh to catch 100 passes in that era.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    it would help him. But my guess is ABs success in Tampa will be considered just another indicator of Tom Brady’s greatness. Wins SBs at 43 and 44 yrs old and at the same time got production out of AB, the washed up crazy man. No one else could have done it. In any case AB has no margin for error. Another ‘incident’ and he never gets to Canton.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As a stat producer ab wins. As a football player H. Ward wins hands down. Do You believe in today's game , with a HOF Qb His whole career, and the rules the way they are H. Wards numbers wouldn't be better than what They currently are????

• Agree Agree x 2