1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Number 1 Receivers over the years.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    For the last almost decade the Steelers have been promoted as one of the best if not the best team at drafting Wide Receivers.
    So I started thinking about our receivers before AB and Emmanuel Sanders.
    This is a 2 part question. First question is, who would you say is the best receiver we had from 2000 to 2011?
    Below is the Number 1 receiver for each season:

2000 - Hines Ward/ Bobby Shaw 672 yards
    2001 - Plaxico Burress 1108 yards
    2002 - Hines Ward 1329 yards
    2003 - Hines Ward 1163 yards
    2004 - Hines Ward 1004 yards
    2005 - Hines Ward 975 yards
    2006 - Hines Ward 975 yards
    2007 - Santonio Homes 942 yards
    2008 - Hines Ward 1043 yards
    2009 - Santonio Holmes 1248 yards
    2010 - Mike Wallace 1257 yards
    2011 - Mike Wallace 1193 yards

Of the receivers listed who was the best pure number 1 receiver we had?

Then part 2 of the question is, whoever you picked from above, where would they rank on our Wide Receiver depth chart today?
    Todays depth chart is: Diontae Johnson, JuJu, Chase Claypool, James Washington.
    Would the person you picked be the number 1 today or maybe the 5th?
    I love Hines Ward as much as the rest but its hard to ignore what Mike Wallace did in 2010.
    He racked up 1257 yards on only 60 receptions for an incredible 21 yards per reception with 10 TDs.
    If I put that Mike Wallace in with todays group I believe the depth chart would be
    Diontae, Mike Wallace, JuJu, Chase, and then Washinton.
    Thoughts?

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hines Ward. So underrated. Wish we still had him...in his prime. I hope he gets into HOF. He deserves it.

Steelers have been blessed with good WRs. I have to give props to Roethlisberger....he made life easy for WRs.

Burress, Holmes, Randle El, Wallace and AB....all are badass.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk why but I wasn't thinking Hines Ward was post Troy Edwards and Burress. But obviously he was otherwise he'd be even older.

4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Unpopular opinion - the Steelers are really good at drafting WR2 and WR3 guys, but really AB is the only HOF'er since the 70's.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :confused1:

Hines Ward has the stats to get into HOF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hines Ward was my all time favorite player, So I'm biased...Loved how that Guy played the game!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Stats yes.

Accolades?! Different set of rules there. Not enough First Team All Pro Awards to punch him in.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But he had stats, Super Bowl MVP, and arguably ( no argument actually ) of the best blocking WR EVER! All on very good teams!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hines put up almost as good numbers as other WRs in his era playing in what seemed to be a more run oriented offense playing with QB's named Stewart, Graham, Tomczak, and Maddox from 1998 to 2003.

Hines wasn't just a WR. Hines was one of the best football players I ever watched.

What would his numbers be if he played in an offense that was geared more towards passing with better QBs?

Hines should be in the HOF. At this point it's only a matter of when it happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Plus had rules change because of him...and best of all knocked Defensive Players out, and Ds had fear of him everytime there was a turnover. I promise You I have seen Ray Lewis step out of bounds instead of picking up a fumble ...because He looked up and seen him coming.
    What other Wr can say that. I don't think He gets enough love.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can tell who older, and who's not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Again, the Hall of Fame is not about what an individual does in a specific point or even points in time. The Hall of Fame is reserved for those who were dominant for an extended period of time. That difference matters when comparing those who get in on the first ballot and those who do not. Extremes for this rule of course but mostly consistent overall....... keyword being mostly.

I do believe Hines will get into Canton at some point. Realistically speaking, it will happen.... at some point. That said, his lack of overall All Pro Awards; First Team doubly so, is what is holding him back currently in addition to the halls reluctance of electing Wide Receivers in to begin with. This is not accounting for Wide Receivers who are still awaiting their names called on the ballot the same who have not gotten in.

Receivers like Issac Bruce, Torry Holt or even Calvin Johnson not getting the nod but Hines getting one over all of them?!?!?! I do like Hines but to say Hines was as dominant as the aforementioned is unfair to the aforementioned three.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Read above.

Those three have more of a case to be in than Ward; Super Bowl or otherwise and doubly so in Calvin's case.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 argue, but You admitted 2 me You didn't see Hines knock Woodson out, because You weren't a fan yet. So half of this You never saw. You are just going by what you find on the internet. That my friends is why I stopped playing Fantasy football. Because that's all that matters 2 the Younger fan. Stats. Not how hard you worked on the field blocking, making D fear You, and many other things stats don't show 2 win games

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I sure did not. I was not even a fan of Football at the time. Of that I admit. That said, 2008 is when I did watch Football and, Hines was still there at the time. Within the same era of Hines also were players like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Again, extended period of time. Hines Ward is no doubt the most violent Wide Receiver in NFL History. However, violence and dominance are two different aspects.

I never stated that Hines will never get in all together. I am stating though that is going to be a long time yet for him to get in. When I stated "not enough to punch him in", I am referring to getting him in as quickly as possible. Someone like Larry Fitzgerald or even Andre Johnson getting in after Hines gets inducted though? There definitely is an argument to be made there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I've been saying this, every since AB left. Who is our #1 wr?

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I didn't mean 2 be so rude.
    This TJ crap has me angry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Hines Ward

He may not have the greatest stats but he has character and grit.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe DJ. If he can stop the drops. He has the makings. Not sure You need a number one.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It's been JuJu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hines all the way. He did a lot more than catch passes. :hehehe:

The Bus agrees.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All good!!! :drinks:

No need to worry!! Lots of Steelers fans are upset at this point. That being said, I trust the Rooney's will buck their ways via contracts relative of money that is fully guaranteed after the first season. The Rooney's have already shown the ability to change such as the usage of voidable years on players contracts, signing vets to one year minimums to even trading a First Round Pick; something that has not been done in over half a century for another Hall of Fame talent.

I think the Rooney's have shown they are willing to change. Only a matter of time at this point. T.J. Watt will get his money and this will be all behind us.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It's more than stat accumulation - he was never considered one of the best in the game, even for a short stretch. Outside of Pittsburgh, anyway,

24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Nobody - a bunch of good #2's and a good #3 in Washington. They'd better not pay any of these guys WR1 money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    right. I’m looking at his era and he’s barely top ten.