1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now what? QB related

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bend Steel, Apr 10, 2022.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Not correct to the best of my knowledge. The contract will void once the relevant paperwork has been filed with the league, basically the same as a retirement, any unearned money is scrubbed from the cap sheet. Sorry to be so morbid. It’s not a nice topic to be discussing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He hadnt been paid any money yet, the cap charge is a projection at this point. Nothing stopping the team taking care of the family however.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    His contract tender will be voided. + 2.54 mil.. What the Steelers decide to do will be a separate issue and not count towards the cap. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    They don't get paid everything up front. They get paid throughout the year.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes 17 checks

Although during training camp they do get a per diem rookies $850/wk and vets $1,600/wk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He and his family made money in Washington and here last year. This is a tragic loss but it's not like they will be broke or shouldn't be. At least I hope not for their sake. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He signed the tender, meaning that it's now a contract. Do you have a source that simply says it can be voided? If voided does that give them that cap space back? His cap hit was 2.54 million if he was cut.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    RFA tenders are not guaranteed

If cut his cap hit was $0

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    If they don't trade up and sit at number 20 Desmond Ridder is probably going to be the pick if he's there at 20

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Or a team offered a first round pick for him. That can't happen now. There is no way for him to make the team either and cannot fulfill the contract requirements. No player, no contract. :cool:

11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Haskins signed a $2.54MM RFA tender. That amount was entirely base salary, i.e., not guaranteed. Situations where a player passes away while under contract are handled the same as a mid-contract retirement or trade: all future prorated bonus amounts are assigned to the current fiscal year, and any remaining base salary from the point of action forward is voided from team's salary cap accounting. So Haskins' $2.54MM will be removed from the books.

I'd presume that the organization (Rooney and team) will be doing something to ensure his family is taken care of. But it won't be reflected against their salary cap.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I doubt we pick a QB early in the draft, probably none at all that way IMO. I think we pick up a 3rd string veteran QB that needs a job. Would have been Dobbs, but somebody got him already.

Need OL, WR and others. I would be very surprised if we took a QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This is the Rooney family, Haskins family will be ok.

As far as the draft, wow, who would have ever thought this situation would come to be?
    It does impact the draft.

They didn't bat an eye to trade up for Bush.
    I don't think they will bat an eye for QB.
    The problem is, first you need a trader partner, secondly the right player has to be there.

I have 100% confidence in the Scouts job, I know quite factually they've done a as good as job as you ever expect.
    So, if they say "X" is worth a shot, then that is what will happen.
    I know Tomlin and the staff have followed through on those reports.

The bad thing is, QB is a risk.
    Sure fire guys like Burrows make the risk much less.
    Finding guys like Brady is an entirely different thing.
    As so much depends on the system they are drafted into. I've seen some good QB's just ruined by awful teams.

I have no idea how they will pick, but if the QB is there and they are sold - that's is most definitely what will happen.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A Steelers player just got smashed by a dump truck and your worried about the salary cap? Says a lot...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Like looking at the whole picture

• Like Like x 2
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You missed the point

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And you missed the point

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I didn't miss anything. You're making it sound like someone who got a check that already completed a service and then asking the family to refund it.

A contract is saying you get paid "x" on "x" days as long as you're part of the team (and what other details follow). Due to the unfortunate situation, he will not be apart of the team..... Furthermore this wasn't a contract that was fully guaranteed, nor any other type of contact. It was just a one year.

Now with all that said. Most teams who have situations like this, will still do things for the family. And it won't count against the cap. But the team doesn't have to pay the family for someone who is unable to fulfill the duties of the contract..... And let's not play the game of this family is broke and struggling. Dude made bank in Washington.

• Like Like x 1
  19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I am not sure about "quality", but you cannot expect much from the 3rd string unless it would be a draft pick. I assume the top 3 guys would be looking for a decent amount of money/chance to start. Maybe take a flier on Josh Rosen?

This is the list: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Cam Newton
    Mike Glennon
    AJ McCarron
    Geno Smith
    Josh Rosen
    John Wolford - ERFA?
    Chris Streveler

20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    They're just curious how this works. Let's not make this about how the op and others are as a person.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And you continue to miss the point

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They will draft one at some point in the draft and pretty good chance they sign an UDFA QB to be a camp arm as well.

Drafted guy will be #3 with a chance to compete against Rudolph for the #2 job, and if he shows enough could unseat Mitch at #1

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    No, I didn’t, you misunderstood the details and you are now trying to backtrack.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    No. I’m not backtracking on anything. You and mashburn missed the point entirely and continue to do so. A man just lost his life. A human ****ing being and people are worried about the salary cap. As if this human being was a disposable commodity.

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not even remotely worried about the salary cap. Somebody asked a question and I was responding but by all means continue to take this imaginary higher ground to cover your error if it makes you feel better

• Like Like x 1