1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now that Bruce is gone, who's the new goat??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by slickster10, Jan 21, 2012.

1. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I guess 95% of our fan base got what they wanted. This is gonna set us back at least 5-7 years. I guess Mike Tomlin will be the goat next year. :-(

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I hope Im wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is 2 steps back before they take 1 step forward.

I'd have focused more on solidifying the O line for at least another year, but it is what it is. Hopefully Im full of it though and the offense lights it up. I'll gladly come here and admit that I was wrong if it does.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How do you figure this? Everyone knew that bruce gave ben too much lee-way, while having a n potent offence and underachieving year after year.Our success over the past 5 years kept him here and our winning tradition went on inspite of him.Tomlin has been the goat, for keeping arians around this long and for not hiring a proper qb that ben will listen to.

Now this bring me to my next thought,the steelers have to have their hand force to make moves like this.Bruce is arrogant and stubborn and not tomlin but the rooneys have seen enough.Mr. Rooney rarely speaks out after a season but after this season ended against tebow he said that he was disappointed and that he was gonna sit down and meet with certain personnel.Bruce is Gone and veteran players are on the hot seat.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm beginning to believe this more and more. MT has not exerted control over the coaching staff. The fact that BA was allowed to get this incredibly talented O to underachieve for 5 years points straight back to Tomlin. This next hire at OC will make or break him as the Steelers OC, IMO. Get it right coach cliche or get packin.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So by this setback you speak of, we should score about the same as this year.

If we are better than 21st in scoring next year, it will be better.

6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Sometimes it's just time for a change. This was one of those times.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No setback. If we had lost Bruce before last season, I would have been concerned because there was no offseason. However, with a full offseason we will be fine, and should thrive if the new coordinator demonstrates more adaptive game planning and mid game adjustments. We may be able to see those results with the same general offensive scheme, but just a handful of plays swapped in/out from the scheme - and of course more creative play calling. I've said all along that Bruce called some master piece games within our scheme - the AFCCG last year, Pats game this year, and others, so the scheme is fine when the OC actually game plans for more than the 1st 15 plays.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    [youtube:274z5dvg]7jAQCA54YwY[/youtube:274z5dvg]

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    These "masterpiece" games you speak of can be counted on one hand. He called one good game this year from start to finish.

10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

Good one! :applaud:

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Set us back 5-7 years? Are you serious or is that an exageration? It won't even set us back one year. Teams change coaches and OC's all the time and it doesn't necessarily set them back, and in fact, can make them even better. Look at San Fran. Look at NE, they have changed OC's quite a few times recently, yet every year they are either the #1 seed or contend for the #1 seed in the AFC.

Like I said in another post, those of you saying this will set us back really have no idea what the job of an OC is. Changing coaches isn't so drastic that it will set a team back. The only thing that will set us back is if the new guy hired is just as bad or worse than BA.

12. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: Just like changing your undershorts! You change them weather they're dirty or not! ;)

13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The cheatriots changed OCs in the middle of the playoffs and still went on to destroy a team we couldn't beat. It worked out OK for them.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Those are my thoughts as well. I didn't care if Bruce stayed or left because I've always felt poor player exectuion did more damage to the offense than his coaching did. That being said regardless of who they bring in it will take time for the players to learn and more importantly believe in whatever new offensive system that coach installs and believing in what they're doing isn't going to happen until they start winning games in the regular season. It doesn't matter that they've studied it in the offseason or rehearsed it in training camp. Regular season wins will be the only real test here.

15. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    If I'm not mistaken McDaniels had already been with the Patriots before so it wasn't like he didn't know the team or the players

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    That was years ago, which in the NFL is an eternity, especially for the Pats. The Pats make a lot of player changes every year. Other than Brady, they don't tend to hang onto players for long. Also, it's still different plays, different language, etc. Changing OC's isn't something that sets teams back. I don't understand how some of you guys are even saying that. We will improve if we get better playcalling and similar execution to this past year. If we get worse playcalling and similar execution, we will regress. It's as simple as that.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm saying that because the best play in world can't overcome a fumble, interception or a missed block and we had plenty of all of those this past season and usually at the worst times.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Since Mike Tomlin and ( PLEASE YOU SHOULD HAVE RETIRED LEBEAU) receives NO adverse publicity here in the STEEL CITY from the local media. I would have to say Kevin Colbert and Kugler the OL coach.Can't be any mistakes in player evaluation when you have to purge the players that Colbert and company will have to. KUGLER THE POOR BASTARD, HAS 2 PLAYERS THAT CAN ACTUALLY PLAY.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed fully, but that's not on the OC and has nothing to do with hiring a new OC. Besides, I think we get good enough player execution that with great playcalling we will absolutely be a SB contender next year. We have the players.

20. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No, but it can set you up for them... deep balls that require time for Ben to either get strip sacked or have to throw into double coverage, or bubble screens that every team in the league sees coming before the game even starts.

21. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why so negative?? This is exciting and a chance at a fresh start and you're already saying it will take 5 - 7 years to turn the (offensive) ship around? Stay positive slick! :clapping:

22. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    5-7 Years? Really? With the talent on this offense a new OC will have us back in the playoffs either his first or second season, I believe it will be immediately if he brings in a true full back and gets Ben to buy into the run and play action off of it.

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt this move will set us back 5-7 years though there could be some growing pains. My biggest concern is still the defense which really needs to be re-tooled.

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think if we are 21st in scoring next year but show improvement in the red zone, use timing routes, use a full-back, don't alway go deep and make Ben throw the ball away or to a check down it will better. At least we are making strides for a more productive offense.

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The next goat will be Dick Lebeau. I thought he would follow Arians with the retirement announcement but I guess it's better one of them then both of them at the same time.