1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Now a fan only for nostalgia

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I became a Steeler fan in the 70s during the heyday. Steel Curtain, Immaculate Reception, Mean Joe. Was a fan through the Cowher years - The Chin, Ward, Slash, The Bus, Troy, Blitzburgh. These days I am a fan because of history, not because of current day. Who is there to be a fan of? I used to love the personality of the team and of some of the players. Tough. Gritty. Now it seems to be Whiney. Entitled. Soft.

I know I am reflecting through rose colored glasses, and the past had lots of issues, too. But this current version of the Steelers is beyond disappointing. Not because of their record, but because of who they seem to be. Tough to get enthusiastic about them. Or even care too much about outcomes. But I do.

If I was needing to choose a team to be a fan of, I sure could not muster much of an argument for it to be the Steelers of today. I will bleed Black and Gold forever, but this current version is not much to be proud of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think it’s ok to sometimes say
    My team sucks
    But by goodness they are still my team!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But we will still support them.

This is where the true fans start to get sorted out.

Right now, “our” team sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The frustrating part is we shouldn't such with the talent we have . It's not like we're rebuilding or without a franchise QB .

That's the part that eats away at me. We should be better than our record indicates and better than the way we've looked

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We need more d-lineman on the field. Just two of them out there most of the last game.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree, but what repercussions come from being a fair weather fan?

7. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    The Jaguars are what we used to be. Once the Steelers are eliminated from the playoffs (probably only 1-2 weeks away from that) I will root for the Jags. Power running, aggressive defense, a play making QB...like we used to be.

Time to clean house and start over. Thanks Ben for the 2 rings.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Being a Steelers fan is like a marriage, In sickness and in health, in good times and in bad.

If your anything else your just a band wagoner.

But, if your a fan you always support them no matter what! But, it gives you every right to cheer and give criticism!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup. im prepared for whats ahead

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    At least we can get high draft picks in April because 2 or 3 wins is all I can see on the horizon...........

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So in terms of marriage if you nonstop talk **** on your spouse what kind a spouse would that make you?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously none but there is some extra satisfaction in "sharing" the success after many years of disappointment.

I moved out to the SF Bay area in '89. There were a lot of fair weather niner fans back then but there were also a lot of die-hard fans who lived through the pre-walsh days who were just a little prouder of their team than I think the bandwagon fans were. I used to take great pleasure in cheering against the niners... my first housemate in CA was in the die-hard camp... even though I loved needling her by rooting against her team when we watched the games together (we had a gang over most sundays)... you had to respect her pride in her team.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I keep telling your wife to stop that kind of talk about you Glenn. She doesn't listen well.

14. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Well, still the only franchise that can say every head coach they've had in the last 41 years has a Super Bowl championship.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I get what you're saying. I always thought I was a NBA/Boston Celtics fan until Larry Bird retired, then I realized I was just a Larry Bird fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It goes in their permanent record. :smiley1:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is why I give credit to long time Browns fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe you're thinking of this poor chap...........

19. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree this is at the core of some of my disappointment. With the talent we have (at least the player's talent), we should be better than we have been. Even Ben in the latter part of his career should be better than he has been (or "has Ben" - bad pun). While the talent on D is less, there is no excuse for them looking as bad as they are - these are professional athletes who have played this game most of their lives. For them to look this inept, on O and D, is inexcusable. And disheartening for a rabid fan.

Sure, this team currently sucks, but it sucks in a particular way that is frustrating.

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    All I know is I slept like a baby last night, which is never the case for night games. The bar has been lowered to where I'll be more pleasantly surprised with a win and not crushed with a loss.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Change your focus from some decade long theme..... look at the last two games and tell me you didn't smile watching Vance McDonald head slap that Tampa guy and run through like 3-4 ravens last night. Those moments make me smile regardless of whether we win or lose. (Of course it's better if we win). Life long Steelers fan from the 70's as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My wife asked me something similar. I gave a similar response. I got a similar response.

Next time, I just said yes. I still got the same response, I just got to it quicker.

23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    That's nice. What does that do for you now? Chuck Noll won 4 of those because he always let what is, be done and on to the next. If you start living in the past, your accomplishments in the future take a hit.