1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Notes on Poe from the combine...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    From Gerry Dulac via twitter...

Former Ravens Coach Brian Billick said Dontari Poe of Memphis is "absolutely" perfect Steelers nose tackle.

Billick said he doesn't want Poe going to Steelers because he has too much Raven blood in him. "I want him to go somewhere else," he said.

Dontari Poe said his favorite NFL nose tackle is Casey Hampton. Imagine that. "I like how aggressive he is," Poe said.

Poe weighed in at 6-foot-4, 346 pounds. (should make some happy that didn't like he was 6'6)

Poe benches 500 pounds, squats 700 and power-cleans 400. Expects to do 40 bench reps at combine. "I love the weight room, I do," Poe said.

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope we draft this kid?

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Definitely like to hear that....just depends who is there I guess. All I want is a starting LG in one of the first 2 rounds. If they take Poe in the 1st and can get an OG in the 2nd...awesome! But OG is my #1 need for this team.

4. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Agreed... but I think rounds 2 and 3 have some very good guards.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. There is great value in guards in later rounds. U won't fine that value for a NT. Take Poe in the first and get OG/OT in the second or even third.

6. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd take Poe in the first and Zeitler in the 2nd.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

With DeCastro all but guaranteed to be gone...and now Glenn could be moving up to where he could be gone too (as theres a handful of G needie teams in the middle of the round). I do not feel comfortable with any other G's in the first really. So definitely if both of them are gone and Poe is the best available for a need they have take him.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If that happens, we'll have 4 starters on a 3 man line, and you can let the "trade Keisel/Heyward/Ziggy" threads begin...

Anyway, I'm thinking Poe skyrockets and is gone by #24.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Hahah...yeah. If Hampton is on the team this year...then he'd probably be gone next year. And the other guys just rotate until Keisel gets surpassed. But yes I agree on that also...Poe seems to be the #1 NT...and there are at least 4 teams that run a 3-4 and could take him before the Steelers pick. But who knows, hahaha.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    And this is why we get smoked in the Olympics at weightlifting - all our talent is in the NFL! If Poe can "football-player technique" a 400-lb clean, he could smash some records in the C&J with some Olympic training.

I'd be fine with taking Poe at #24 if he's the best option left. If there's a LB, DB, or OL sitting there with him I'd be a little disappointed if we choose him. If it's between him and Ryan Tannehill, well then, I think that's pretty obvious who we take!

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Tannehill right?

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Totally! :herewego:

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Totally! :herewego:[/quote:1jhq0h5l]

Awesome!

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This draft is really set up gor the steelers its deep in guards, nt, and tall wrs. I really think we are going to be looking at wr in rounds 4-6 the steelers arent going to be able to keep sanders and brown next year. I think brown will get the 1st round tender and sanders the third. They could franchise brown and 1st sanders and that would keep them both becuase nobody is giving up a first for sanders or brown imo.

15. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    WHen are you going to get off this "too many starters" on the DL kick? You draft a position before you need it... Poe/Hampton, Ziggy, and Kiesel with Heyward rotating, with the idea that Heyward takes over for Kiesel when he hangs em up sounds like a great plan to me.

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree....Just wish they would have done this with Farrior.....We need a new ILB.

HACK

17. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Poe benched 225lbs 44 times @ the combine

18. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Wow! My arms hurt just thinking about it.

I'm thinking we take Poe in the first, then whoever is the best available at ILB or OG in the second.

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Oy, just wrote a long response and then lost it...

Basically I said that I have no problem with Poe or taking a NT, and I like depth, but it's hard for me to watch us stack one position 3 deep while other positions (OL, ILB) go neglected and then wither away and die. It's sounding like we'll keep Hampton for the year. Keisel, Hampton, Hood, Heyward, Poe -- that's 5 guys, and in the nickel we'll only have two on the field (could be most of the game, depending). Rotating sounds nice, but we are not the Giants. We don't do that. In 2010 Hood proved he could play full time, and yet he barely saw the field once Aaron Smith returned in 2011. 4 or 5 plays isn't much of a rotation if you ask me.

I know you can draft a position before you need it, but it's not like you should just ignore positions you need because you need it. That would be foolish. We have positions we need now. There is no starting LG on the roster, and no one that could even conceivably fill in adequately. No one on the horizon. Same with ILB, since the team doesn't seem to think much of Sylvester there. RG is still a question mark at best. We have no depth at tackle, where one starter will be returning after basically a 2 year absence, and the other will be playing on the left side for the first time in the pros.

If Poe is going to be as good as or better than Ngata and is still available when we pick (both HUGE ifs), then he's hard to pass up. And depending on who is available, I could support that. But I hate when people drool over the prospect of one AMAZING group of players at the expense of other needed positions (Colts repeatedly drafting skill guys, Lions taking Fairley when they had needs everywhere).

20. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe drafting a dominate nose and going to a 3-3 nickle would be a good move. If the steelers can get a more athletic guy than Hampton then he could play more downs. Maybe a guard in the second.

400lb power clean...Wow

I say draft the best d-lineman or guard in the first, then draft the best of the other position in the second.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Damn... my arms give out at 30...

22. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I am 5-9 190, I do an honest 9.

But the 400lb power clean!

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Poe will go early, no way he lasts till Steelers pick.

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    3-4 NT or players that are uniquely built to fit that need are harder and harder to find in today's drafts and that's Poe. Born to be cntrs, same thing. We took Pouncey and now if Poe is there the Steelers will not hesitate to pull the trigger on this one. He was born to play on the Steelers at NT under DL in the zone D.

I want OL and CB help, but if Poe is there @ 24 and unlike previous posters I think he may, then our pick will be in before they make the announcement that it is our pick. We did that w/ Pouncey.

No brainer.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't see 3 first round picks and a highly paid starter on the d-line. :cool: