1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Trying to Create a QB Controversy Here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 7, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Blah blah blah they could easily be 6-2, minus Conner and JuJu fumbles late in the 4th quarters.

2. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    The biggest problem with mason is his arm is just mediocre. You can learn and get better at a lot of thing but his arm isn’t going to develop into a deep threat with time. Now there are qbs who don’t have a cannon and are successful but they excel at other areas. Mason will need to really step it up in other areas to be come a true starter.

I honestly see him as the guy to take the reigns after Ben as a stop gap until you find the “next guy”. Basically mason is at best a lower tier starter. Slightly better than a back up but will never be elite and never really go far without a great supporting cast. And even with a great supporting cast I think you will always be a little bit limited with him.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Bens not used to playing behind one of those :facepalm:

Got news for you six, the line may be crap by the time Ben comes back and you ain't no seer :lolol:

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Talking to you is like starting a conversation about a dump truck and ending up talking about snorkeling.

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I didn't say you said they hired him because of the rule (I did say you implied it, because you did). The quote you used from me made that clear. "So they didn’t interview him because of the rule. Your claim that they did has zero evidence to back it up." There I clearly indicate that you claimed they interviewed him because of the rule. Me just using the freaking word "hiring" does not in any way mean you said the word. Again, I brought up hiring him because it is a logical consequence of what you said, unless you care to explain how "if not for the Rooney Rule, he wouldn't have sniffed the position" does not imply that he wouldn't have been hired if not for the Rooney rule.

And I didn't address your original point (which is to try to discredit the fact that Tomlin has a higher winning percentage than Shula) because I don't care to. You can discount it all you want but the fact is that Tomlin has a better winning percentage than one of the all-time great head coaches. Spin it however you want.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    First off, congrats on your award. :clapping:

Second, you don't have to preface your post to spare my feelings. If you agree, great. If not, that's okay too. I have strong opinions about stuff and am hard to convince otherwise. But I also am fully aware that I am not always right (don't tell anyone). And there have been times that people have changed my mind.

Anyway, in regards to MR, I am not his biggest fan or his biggest detractor. I hated him in college because he shredded WVU. But there was respect there as well. And I was over the moon when we drafted him. I was excited to see him to be the cool-in-the-pocket, accurate field general that I saw for years at OSU. I KNOW he can perform better than what he is because I've seen it. I also know that he is being handicapped to some extent. How much? Don't know. We all get better with experience. MR will be no different. He might round out into a really good Sunday qb. But for this year, I just want to see the good mechanics and accuracy that I saw before. That's pretty much the extent of my gripe on him right now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Kewl, thanks. I think I will.

8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I guess you aren't going to attempt to explain how "if not for the Rooney Rule, he wouldn't have sniffed the position" is not implying he wouldn't have been hired without the Rooney Rule. I'd love to know how Tomlin would have been hired without sniffing the position but whatever. I guess I can live with the mystery.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree about not having "it." I called it lack of fire earlier. But yeah, it doesn't matter what you call it. He needs to find it. He's got the goods. He just needs to show it.

10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    My contention is that he was interviewed because of the rule. If not for the rule, he doesn't get the interview, and therefore doesn't get the hire. Nothing mysterious about it. You disagree. That's fine. It's conjecture on both our parts.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Thanks Glory Days for the Congratulations. I felt a little pumped this morning so I just threw it in. Maybe, just to remind some that hey not just athletes, music, movie stars, etc. make their contributions to the world as well. The not so well-known person does also.

I don't know. I just sometimes preface because I sometimes overthink things. Like I said before, I have thick-skin but try to keep things harmonic on message boards especially. I respect, and welcome, all types of input. STEELWINDS

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Me too!!! :hehehe:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Talking to you is like :frustrated:

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It has been a long time since Ben has played behind a bad OL, he sure as hell wouldn't want to play behind Tampa's bad OL coming off a injured season :shrug:.

15. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    And you think a guy who has never shown any desire to actually study game film and try to better himself, or keep himself in great shape is suddenly going to light the world on fire as a 38 year old QB who is coming off a season ending injury to his throwing arm.
    I never said Mason was the long term answer. But I KNOW Ben isn't. Why keep prolonging the inevitable? The sooner you can get his salary off the books, the better the team will be in the future.
    Yes, realize they don't have a lot of draft capital to find another QB if who is on the team isn't the answer. But even with Ben, they still don't have that. This team couldn't win with Ben, Bell and Brown. What makes you think they can do it with just Ben?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    good points I hope that is the case but the way his balls are fluttering it’s not pretty right now

17. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    An argument could be made for the dismal passing game that as mediocre to slightly below that MR looks this team simply has no playmakers. Juju isn’t close to a #1 Johnson is a quick rookie slot guy Washington won’t be in the NFL soon and Conner is the new glass man. I mean his supporting cast is downright horrendous

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey PJ.

Yeah, I think it difficult for some of us, myself included, to "let go". Like with Troy, The Bus, and maybe now even Ben. I personally, do think that he has something left in the tank. A lot of his returning is going to obviously be contingent upon the health of his arm. I know that it is apples and oranges but it did end Bradshaw's career.

I just think that we are finally putting together a formidable "D" again. Maybe that will stir Ben's interest. Tuitt will also be back with Ben next year. I really don't know what will keep Ben's desire to return; Fame, Competitive Spirit, Money, just going to work. 38 is young no matter what your occupation is. I am a retired teacher and honestly retirement is not all cracked up to what most think it is to be. Do not get me wrong, given my personal situation, I am very fortunate to have been able to have the option to have retired. However, given a choice, I still would have been working.

Ben may want to return knowing that the skilled position players on "O" are going to be even more seasoned. They will have all of this season to get another full-year of experience under their belts when he does return. So, that is a good thing. It is not like he will be starting out with all rookies. Actually, about an average age of about three years of experience for our WRs and RBs. To me, that sounds like the right amount of time for those young guys to be finding their comfort zones in our "O". Maybe the timing all works well for BB in that regards. We also need another TE to compliment Vance but I am not writing off Vannett either. I am just saying I think Ben will have a fairly decent supporting cast around him on both the "O" and the "D" if that is the determining factor for him to choose coming back or not. STEELWINDS

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How would you know :shrug:

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Blast.

Yes, none of us know what Ben's motivational criteria will be for him to return. And that is if he can physically return. I sure hope he can. I like Mason and the playing time that he is getting now is invaluable. Each week we will learn more and more about his potential as it connects to his B & G future. For now, Ben is our best QB hands-down. Given that, I have been on record stating that I like what Mason has done so far and have the arrow pointing up on him. STEELWINDS

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, its really not up to Ben in the end.

I fully expect him to be back though, I just can see a scenario where Tampa could be a landing spot for him if the Steelers decide to try and move him. Of course, Rudolph will have to show a lot more by seasons end for that to even be a possibility.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How in the heck do you know how much Ben studies game film, Ben has come into camp in great shape the last few years.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually it is up to Ben, if they tried to trade him to Tampa he could tell them he won't report :shrug:. Just like AB did with Buffalo this offseason.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :rolleyes:

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

Yeah, that BS that AB pulled really did set a bad precedent. I am not sure what protocols can be put in place league wide to prevent this from happening. I guess the player's union would ultimately be involved to sort this thing out if they chose to even get involved.

Yes, I believe that people should have the option to work where they would like. However, it does not always work that way in life. As a teacher, there are voluntary and involuntary transfers. Trust me, the involuntary ones are not favorable by the person getting moved and usually by the school that is receiving who is most likely a disgruntled employee. STEELWINDS