1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Trying to Create a QB Controversy Here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    MR doesn’t have an NFL arm. Nothing will change that this year or next

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MeanJoeBlue.

Yes, I agree that Mason's performances up to this point are not mind-blowing but several factors to think about: (1) How much of it is inexperience which probably is a lot. (2) How much is it of the coaching staff keeping him reeled in. I just went to check his stats so far this season. Here they are: 10 TDS 4 Picks Total of 1088 yards Passer rating of 94.7 To me, and I would think to most people in general, that those numbers would be considered "Respectable". I am not sure what some folks are expecting from him with his short time as a starter. Once again, I personally think that those numbers are very "Respectable". STEELWINDS

3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Nothing you said contradicts the fact that Tomlin has a higher career winning percentage. And he was not hired because of the Rooney Rule, as it makes no demands on who is actually hired. In fact, Tomlin wasn't even interviewed because of the rule as the Steelers had already interviewed a minority candidate, which is all the rule requires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel_Elvis.

Yes, I agree that I also think the Seattle game was his best. Maybe because he had to come in on the fly and did not have time to overthink things. However, I respectfully disagree that he is "regressing". I just posted his stats up to this point, which I find to be respectable. Here they are again: 10 TDS 4 Picks Total of 1088 yards Passer Rating of 94.7 Take care. STEELWINDS

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MojaveDesertPghFan.

Yeah, I know about the title and its implications. However, as I stated I am still in the Ben camp 100%. If he was ready to go this week he is my starter no questions asked. Just more of a speculation that when Ben's time comes to hang it up do folks here feel that we are in good hands with Mason? Yes also, that Ben was/is special and did have that "IT" factor as a rookie and still does.

I think about that regular season game against the Cheats during his rookie year from time to time followed-up by the beating of the Eagles the next week. That was special and as Mean Joe said about Franco: "We got one". STEELWINDS

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Smitch89 and everyone else.

The post is not about making a QB change/Controversy while both Mason and Ben are still on the team. It really is about each person's comfort level with Mason when Ben does hang it up. Maybe I could have worded the title better knowing that some confusion was going to arise about the thread's intentions. STEELWINDS

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Ben is healthy, he gets to finish out the last 2 years of his contract.

8. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    While I do think Mason has played better than what we could have expected from him based on the situation he finds himself in, we really can't declare him the starting QB when BB returns b/c Ben just plays at a whole other level

9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersForLife8810.

I feel somewhat compelled to respond to as many of the responses for a thread that I created even though some of the answers are going to be redundant. It is out of respect for those who took the time to respond to me (smile). Given that, and responding to your response 8810, yes, Ben is my starter this next game if he would have been ready to go.... no questions asked. As I stated, this not a QB controversy thread. It is about when BB is out of action (now) and does retire (later) how does everyone feel about Mason taken over at the controls. I stated my opinion and I look forward to the varied input that all who participate are offering. STEELWINDS

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He does; you saw it in Preseason.

He just needs to plant his front foot and quite throwing off his backfoot as he backs up.

He is holding the ball to long, so by the time he throws the ball he can't step up, plant his front foot and throw the ball.

He will learn this, it was there during the preseason games and training camp practices.

Right now he is just taking to long to read the defense; his bad passes have nothing to do with his arm strength. Good new is this is something he will be able to learn as he gets more playing time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Great technical observation Brice. I notice it too as well as have several others who have posted here. Once again, I know that it is college play but the man was very successful at that level. Too me, that translates into something. It is partially a mechanics issue as you have pointed out. And that will come more and more as he finds his comfort level here at the pro-game.

This is all part of the subject of Kinesiology. Not trying to offend anyone, but It never hurts to do a little scientific research to back up a discussion versus just basing a response solely on emotion. I would bet that most world class athletes, no matter what the sport, use Sports Science and Human Performance theories to assess their skill sets and that is what the field of Kinesiology does. I know that I did for Track and Field all the time with my athletes. There are some great software programs out there too assist with this process.

Check out the video link below. It is Joe Montana, sorry. I looked for Big Ben and Terry Bradshaw but did not come up with anything. I think Joe knows what he is talking about though (smile). STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  12. SteelersForLife8810

Oct 24, 2019
    I do actually prefer Mason's methodical approach of inching down the field rather than BB's gun-slinging risky deep throws tbh

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 8810.

The thing that would drive me nuts with BB was most prevalent under the Bruce Arians era. More specifically, when we would be in third and short, very short, and he would throw a low success rate pass of 40+ yards and kill more drives than rather picking up the first down and getting a fresh four. STEELWINDS

14. SteelersForLife8810

Oct 24, 2019
    Ugh, don't remind me lol. I guess Ben just wanted to be known for having giant balls or something

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Yeah 8810, more drive-killing, head-scratching, play-calling then I want to remember as well. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The whole arm strength issue to me is important.

Rogers can be running for his life and throw the ball over his shoulder, with his back to the LOS, and hit a wr in stride 30 yards downfield.

That's an ability that you have or don't. Look at Mahomey, who became the starter after sitting for a year. The arm strength, physicality, and improvisational skills can't be taught. Same as Ben.

Some QB's can be good with an average arm (MR is below average), but have great accuracy. Accuracy is also largely a natural skill but you certainly can improve through practice. And it's my opinion that if you haven't learned to throw with accuracy by your 2nd year in the NFL, then you're probably not going to get a lot more accurate. Mason is pretty inaccurate a lot of the time.

It's like drawing. You can practice and practice, and you can get better. But the guy that draws for Marvel was that kid who drew like a grown up in 1st grade. You probably knew a kid like that.

Point is, Mason fine, for now. He'll probably have a Charlie Batch type career. You're happy to know that you have him as a backup who can come in and win you some games, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So you prefer kicking field goals, instead of scoring TDs?:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well they're winning games without Ben this season :hehehe:

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah you think they traded up to get Bush, and gave up a first round pick for Fitzpatrick, to make a run at another Super Bowl with Rudolph at QB :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hodges :lolol:

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Ben would want to go to Tampa, a team with a bad defense, they have some decent receivers and not much else.

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I guess it all depends on where Ben's heart, mind, and wallet are at. I believe he stated that he wanted to get as many rings as Bradshaw. That is all likelihood not going to be in Tampa. A much better chance of that happening in Pittsburgh. Also, is he a committed Steeler for life. I mean does he want to play for the Black & Gold only?

Some of these players as they enter the twilight of their careers (I am not saying this is Ben) think that can play forever. I remember when Franco went to Seattle. It was brutal to watch. I could see the diminishing of his skills those last few years with Pittsburgh. Some players just do not know when to ride off into the sunset like Hines did. Although I think he hem and hawed with it for a while as well. I am glad though that he never played for another team. STEELWINDS

23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, let's be honest, we're 4-4 and the offense is offensive. But my point is that Tomlin is safe either way. Because of Ben.

Ben goes down and we lose? Well that was because Tomlin lost his hall of fame qb. Not his fault.

Ben goes down and we don't tank? Tomlin gets fitted for his yellow jacket.

Security blanket.

Get rid of Ben this offseason and Tomlin is responsible for the outcome if we aren't successful.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I never attempted to contradict the fact. That's what the asterisk is for. It acknowledges the fact, but removes gravitas. In other words, the fact exists, but is tainted by extenuating circumstances.

And I could care less about semantics. Interviewing another minority before interviewing Tomlin? I call 2 people to set up an interview. The first can come in in 2 weeks and the second, tomorrow. I interview the second one called and am not interested. They were BOTH called because of the rule. Do I NOT interview the first one called because I have satisfied the spirit of the rule? ABSOLUTELY NOT! How would that go over? You don't interview the second minority scheduled because you satisfied you obligation under YOUR fricken rule.

So I stand by my original statement. Tomlin doesn't sniff this position without the rule.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Arians would have him on a stretcher if he went to Tampa.

• Agree Agree x 1