1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not putting your best player on the field

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JPP, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Can you imagine for 6 years our Coaches missed it? The same Coaches who said yep on Trib. The same Coaches who said hold big boy Jones we need to keep you on the sideline where every number 1 OL pick had started in the league ahead of our guy. Mitch is probably not as good as we hope but not nearly as bad as our Coaches likely thought for him to sit behind Trib this year. Let's ride the special train and see what we get.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Here let me keep moving the goal post @Formerscribe ....before He lies, and say it's not true....You can look it up on the board. 1st He said to the effect of Bengals D sucks....playing Seattle will show You.....then He said after that game that now Seattle's D sucks, and the Ravens game would show You, and now the playoffs will show You. I gotta believe if Mason wins a playoff game....He will say then that their D sucks, and the next team will show You. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Of ALL of my many criticisms of Tomlin in the last handful of years, and there have been MANY, I’m personally not going to rake him or the coaching staff over the coals here. I wasn’t in camp and practices.

I think it’s much less about Mason not being given chances and looks and reps, but more about Rudolph just absorbing and learning while getting some valuable experience over the years with the scout team. He’s refind the craft and sharpened up some things that used to give him a bad rep.

I just think the moon and stars aligned with his maturation and one QB getting injured and the other shizzing the bed.

Sure, he probably would have been the better guy to replace Kenny this year instead of Tribisky, but I’m not sure he would have been better to replace Mitch last year when they put Kenny in.

Thoughts…?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I read that Steelers were interested in Justin Fields. Fields is screwing it up with Chicago right now. Very below average accuracy and he seems very slow on where to go. Downgrade from Pickett and very Mitch like.

5. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    My nightmare scenario is we lose badly to KC, we lose Mason in free agency and he blossoms in his next team and we have KP and ??. I feel like no matter what we are gonna f this up somehow. I hope we keep him and him and KP battle it out in camp next year but then again I still don't know what camp does with how it is run now. Minimal full pads so the pressure isn't the same so for the QB's what does it tell you. HOpefully it will tell us which QB understands the new OC's system better. This years camp said KP, Trib and then Mason. Camp said we are good with Mason Cole, Dan Moore, Harvin etc and our number 1 draft pick isn't good enough to start.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    those are good can’t argue that

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Some people who said Mason sucks big time before his Cincinnati game and keep singing Pickett’s praises won’t admit they were wrong even if he wins two playoff games. I have already started hearing, that he is Nick Foles 2 , a flash in the pan. They will continue pushing Pickett with his lowest TD to pass rating.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I keep saying this, and will keep saying this. They watched a HOF Qb on this team for many years, and knew at the time Mason wasn't one yet....So....they tried getting better , and failed. They brought in a FA Qb, and Drafted a 1st round Qb. No team in the NFL spends money on a FA Qb, and a 1st round draft Qb, and then starts their 3rd string. Ask K. Warner. Ask T. Brady, and ask J. Harrison. It's the way teams do business....they are not in the business of Spending money, and Draft capital , and sitting them both for a guy that they already had.....until they had to, and anyone saying that Mason got a fair shot after all that money, and Draft capital was spent on two more Qb is either trying to convince themselves , or turning a blind eye. There is a reason that only one Qb in the last two years of preseason didn't get one game with the starters....when they were trying to tell us it's an open competition. This happens on every team in the NFL. This is why You will hear HOF players talk all the time about not always the best players play.....money, and Draft capital. If FA Qb Trent Green never gets hurt....We may never heard of K. Warner.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not talking about you. I know what your opinion was.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    That is the team's concern too I imagine, that they are going nowhere with Kenny. Not just your concern.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Well considering how Mason has played he feels wonderful

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    The fact he was the best qb in both preseason of the 3 qbs that are on this team... some players develop and get better.. he got better period anyone without blinders can see it... he is a better qb then Pickett? How do I know? I have eyes... maybe you need a appointment I don't know bit you ain't seeing clearly

14. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Ok coach.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I prefer “ Oh Wise One”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    And with no bad aftertaste!

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, that’s a well explained theory that plays well on paper, but I’m not totally convinced yet it’s how things always play out.

In your script you’ve only spoken about coaches and GMs operating the puppet strings. You’ve left out players - starters - vets who also often have the ears of those puppet masters. If they were seeing a better QB delivering better passes and operating an offense in practice with solid command I think they would have some degree of influence to get the guy more time with the 1’s. I’ve read or heard none of that with Mason. I did hear of it years ago with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay and why they felt comfortable moving on from their all time HOFer.

We’ve seen undrafted guys almost every year in camp become darlings and get spots over starters, FAs, and high draft pics. It’s rare but it happens plenty.

Some dudes are just gamers. I don’t think ANYBODY in Pittsburgh thought Ben, after camp, was going to come in right away and just be a Sunday Supernova. Some people just shine when the lights are on. Maybe Mason blossomed into that.

Sure, human nature has shown that people, especially bosses will often double down on a poor decision or bad nartitive to not admit that m as tbd they weren’t wrong, but sometimes they’d rather just win with whatever person is going to get them to that goal; especially fellow teammates.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Or Big Ben if Tomczak doesn't get hurt.

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    This staff does miss on a lot of talent evaluations.

- Kept and started Tribisky
    - Whiffed on Rudolph for some amount of time.
    - Dotson goes to the Rams and is pro bowl level almost instantly.
    - Even Kendrick Green revives his career with the Texans.
    - Should we go down the list of 1 round draft picks for the last decade?

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mitch just received a new 3 year contract this year. Someone was selling Mitch as a solution to the Steelers QB room. I believe Matt Canada is behind all things Mitch.

I still believe in Kenny, because of what I have seen him do in the 4th QTR. When the team had to be aggressive, and he was allowed to stop running Matt Canada's game plan and go for the W. I think his conversations with Ben, about how Ben handled Canada in the 4th QTR of games is what led Kenny to his successful 4th QTR comebacks.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know what this means.

Sean Payton, and the Denver Benched their best QB on their Depth Chart in Russell Wilson for the last 2 games of the season. Who was the Winner/Loser in this benching?

Sometimes you have to bench your best player so the team can move forward. I look for Denver to have an entirely new QB room next year.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait...I believe You answered Your own question. You said we would have seen disgruntled players. Are You telling Me before Mason played....You didn't see disgruntled players??? How about Najee talking about how we can't win like this , how about DJ throwing His hands in the air, and how about Picken overall showing all kinds of being disgruntled. Mason plays, and all of that has disappeared.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do You mean Tommy Maddox?? If so yes....we would eventually see Ben anyway, but We may not have had the same results for dang sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Im saying that if for example those same players saw something with Mason earlier, I’m betting they would have said something. Maybe not publically, but internally. I would hope it wouldn’t take three MORE losing efforts of Tribisky before Tomlin picked up their phone call and took the meeting.

But with this staff - who knows.

Basically, I’m thinking nobody saw this kind of command and productive output until they had no other choice but give him and his deep passing attack a try. Low and behold - everything was clicking.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

My mistake... thought I was in the main forum. Sorry I ended up in your DMs

HACK