1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Character Guys

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerBark, May 6, 2014.

1. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I know the Steelers' BRASS is typically squeaky clean...BUT are these guys worth a LATE round flier? I say why not? Look at Vontaze Burfict...the Bengals took the risk...it paid big dividends.

Loucheiz Purifoy - CB, Florida
    Colt Lyerla - TE, Oregon

Maybe the Steelers have the right locker room to keep these guys on the straight and narrow.

Thoughts?

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Cocaine and bath salts. Grab Henderson, and can you imagine the party in the rookie dorm?

Think we stay away, IMHO.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Colts talent but no thanks. Our locker room was a mess just a couple seasons ago and still recovering. I like going after guys like Shamarko and Troy, you don't have to be a jerk to be a good football player.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have to agree to NO. we don't have the locker room of just a few years ago now. a lot of new faces and personalities there nowdays.:cool:

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I say no these guys are doing drugs with no money, once they get to the NFL and get paid who knows which way they will go. Colbert already said they have taken guys off their board for character concerns. This draft is deep enough that they don't have to take chances on those players.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    LOTS of dudes in the NFL do drugs... Now the question is, how big of a liability are these guys? I'd take a flier on Lyerla simply because we probably wont be going TE early. If we snag a CB early, then Purifoy will probably not be worth the pick. It just intrigues me to see a talent like Lyerla that late in the draft, and might be worth a shot we haven't already addressed TE.

I'm not condoning giving up a 4th or 5th round pick, but a conditional 6th or a 7th would be worth the try IMO. If he's bad in the locker room or cant stay off coke, then cut him loose. No harm, no foul. At least we gave it a shot.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'll pass on these guys. As was stated above, they have been caught with hard drugs when they have no money. You're going to trust them to stay clean on a 400k/year rookie min salary?

I am more willing to consider a guy who tested positive for marajuana. However, he would be downgraded on my board vs. guys who have no red flags.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Its impossible to ignore Purifoy's raw and physical talents. That being said, I would be completely shocked if the Steelers still had him on their board. Still, someone is going to draft him and my money is on him being a productive player, atleast for a little while.

Lyerla is really going to remind people of Aaron Hernandez, fairly or unfairly. He's got a long way to go, because I don't think his skills are that extraordinary.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    After the Steelers wasted a 4th on Alameda Ta'Amu and he almost killed people reckless driving DUI, stay away from these it's not worth it.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would say Vontaze Burfict was misunderstood and was wrongly labeled a bad character guy. He loves football and studying the game, and was a good student, and stayed out of trouble off the field for the most part. He was merely reckless on the field...he just needed to mature.

So in that thinking, Steelers need to do their homework to find out if guys who have that label are really bad news or if they have potential.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Burfict also got into a fight with a teammate in college, he would get 1-2 personal foul penalties just about every game. He had a bad workout his 40 yd dash was around 5.00.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. there are differences in what you label as a troubled player.:cool:

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I took plenty of flack for my thoughts on Burfict....to the point I really just don't feel the need to even post here that often anymore.....with that being said....I have both those guys in my mock.

I would rather take a a guy with lots of talent and hope he can turn it around and be wrong and cut him....then a guy with little talent...and cut him.

its always risk vs reward....would I take them in the 1st....NO...would I take them in the 6th...You better believe it.

HACK

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    All due respect Hack, but the flack you received was most likely due to repetition...not that I agree with with anything more than good natured ribbing. I've got nothing but love for ya, but even I had my suspicions that you might be his agent. :-D

Kidding aside, I've wondered in the past what you would deem a bad enough character flag to take someone off the board.

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree Hack... Shoot for the ceiling... You can always sweep the floor later.
    If someone is that messed up, it's an easy call... A bump in the road can be fixed in most cases. Risk and reward is all it is and honestly can be said about any one draftee by any team to an extent. Oregon's bastard tight end would be a good late pick up if his head is on right. An even better undrafted pickup which may be his plight, but this is really his one and only chance to move foreward positively in the pigskin realm.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    apples to apples though, there are more than enough (after the draft) names to be taken a chance on in this one. the major drug stuff would be more of a black eye then they are head and shoulders better players. that wasn't the case in the draft with burfict and his wasn't any criminal acts. a fight with a teammate happens probably more than you think.

for lyerla, there are several guys late that are as good without the problems. in another year this may not be as true. as for purifoy, I just don't see much difference in the guys that will be around him either in this draft. other years, yea. so why take the risk if you really don't have too.

wish you'd get back in here hack. you have plenty of good input, I have always enjoyed reading even if I don't agree with it all. it's sometime frustrating, but we are all after the same goal around here. miss ya, ol buddy.;):cool:

18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh I know I was repeating it over and over...but in my defense...I was not starting all the conversations...I was stating my opinion in all the BASH THREADS...that were also repeating over and over....and my thoughts never changed.

I wanted Burfict....I also wanted L Blount....who I was beaten up for time and time again...until now when he actually is a Steeler...and everyone is excited by him

There are many guys I would not take....Hernandez for one...even with the Pouncey Brothers hats.

I would not take a guy like WR - Justin Brown in any round if I thought he had a WEED issue.....I would take Santonio Holmes or Randy Moss in the first round....or as FA when the chance occurred.

I would want nothing to do with Ray Rice at this point...I can't say I would feel the same in a few years after he has paid his price to society.

I would have given Chris Rainey another go round.....I would have kept Alemeda a little longer.

My problem with a lot of what is said and done from a fan perspective is that its just hearsay and conjecture....we don't know whats going on....Every fan in the country wanted Ben sent to jail....and while we can all agree he made some poor decisions....it appears he was most likely not guilty of anything ....What would the average Steeler fan think if Ben was wearing a Browns uniform now because of the bad press...and NO CHARGES......Would any of you on this board wanted to GO GET BEN if he was being dangled by another team when he was going through all that.

I guess for me it really is on a case by case basis....and maybe even position by position...If I had Joe Montana at QB...I pass on BEN and his press....if I had Kent Graham at QB....I think I can rehabilitate that young man!

I think what most seem to forget in their LUST for a "STEELER TYPE OF GUY" is that these kids...are just that...kids...who make bad decisions...I'm guessing if everything was known about anyone of us at 21 years of age...not to many of us would be considered a STEELER TYPE GUY....heck even the mold for STEELER TYPE PLAYER was guys in the 70's who were most likely on steroids as well as other recreational pharmaceuticals (like the rest of the league was as well)....yet a player would be considered DND if he tested positive today.....even though that same guy was what we built a dynasty on?

Lets remember....our own HERO Joey Porter is on film attacking a Bengal player in Las Vegas...his dogs attack and kill a horse....is where he should not be and is shot in the bottom.......and we not only kept him...we embraced him..and we hired him as a coach.....but if all that happened after his last college snap and before his first NFL snap...most on here would not have even drafted him.

HACK

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It was more than just a fight with a teammate with Burflict. It was a series of things, at least, that's how I recall it. A terrible combine, repetitive lack of discipline on the field, a reported failed drug test right before the draft. There were lots of red flags. The Bengals gambled and won (though, discipline on the field is still an issue), but stories like his are few and far between in reality. Ultimately, I'm a proponent of taking shots on guys with character concerns in the later rounds. I hate to say it, but when you haven't seen the playoffs in a couple years, you don't exactly have the luxury of passing on late round risks.

20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    This an example of bad character? I saw that as leadership potential and today he's a coach. Hey!

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Habitual screw ups need not apply, the question is taking a chance on a screw up hoping they aren't a habitual mind. Everyone's measuring stick is different in the chances allowed category. In my mind we shouldn't have taken Adams based on character. We did, and look what has happened. People are split on the ifs and ofs of his case, so what do you do?

As historically stupid as young men have been, this lot and the next and those that follow them will on avg be inherently stupider. It's not arguable, just fact based on the times and world we live. There's gonna be a lot of gambles, hits and misses... And a few that reward the risk you took.

i too thought Blount was an A hole... Stupid but passionate and not willing to reel in his emotions. What's he done since? Played hard nosed football at the pro level. Yet quite a few here are questioning the signing.

Santonio Holmes is and was a head case... Gamble paid off, yet people still question giving him the boot and he's hasn't done squat since bouncing. Just a transfer of problems.

i think we have good character in the locker room, but after the Clark and brown thing who knows anymore. One mouth piece to another always brings questions in that regard. Hell, Ben and brown were in a semi dispute a couple months ago and brown had to be checked and it was something he conceded to.

we always over analyze and end up with the "oh well... Damn but what if" scenarios. Guess it's our part to play as fans.

I dont think the front office will go out of their way to hire a complete P.O.S
    but that pool is broadening year to year regardless of their talent level.

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Its definitely a case by case basis.

I never quite understodd just how far Burfict was downgraded, and there's no doubt Mike Mayock was leading that charge (allbeit info he received from league sources). Burfict was talented and was primarily a good kid off the field. There was no need for him to go undrafted. MLBs often test poorly at the Combine. At heart though, they are excellent football players.

I LOVE Purifoy - the talent. but, bath salts? Really? Atleast he is loyal and wouldn't rat anyone out, failing to cooperate with authorities. Thats probably more of a positive than a negative (I'm sure our law enforcing Steeler fans on here are cringing :smiley1:). Purifoy should not go undrafted though. He is still hanging out in the late rounds, and we only have taken 1 CB so far, I would take him.

As for Lyerla, he probably isn't the greatest guy going, but hey, he made some stupid mistakes. My problem with Lyerla, I don't think he is all that special to begin with. Maybe if he had a bigger body of work, I would feel different. I just haven't seen enough from him to ever consider him more than a 5th round pick. That being said, I just think there are too many problems with Lyerla that I wouldn't draft him at all.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I never heard about the failed drug test with him. I thought his were all self control issues and over aggression at times. sometimes that's a good thing for teams. it fires them up. we all liked the aggression of dr. Wallace last year and thought the line needed more of it. that's a little different but the drug thing would be a cause for extra scrutiny.

then I guess you have to determine if you can take them at their word. adams for instance. you come in and plead your case, they believe in your word and the next thing you know your stabbed at 4:00 am while drunk. I really do think it's going to be a black eye for him to the front office before it's all said and done. it's definitely a case by case basis and at draft time or the time leading up to it how many resources are teams willing to put toward a bad character or a guy with good character that's ranked near him. pick your poison.:cool:

24. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Pureifoy in the late rounds makes it more of a lower-risk, higher reward thing.

FWIW, most of that Florida backend is very talented.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, FWIW I finished my final 200 draft board last night. I use a numerical rating system on a player by player basis, and then I sort the list. I did not take Purifoy off my board altogether, but I dinged his rating hard for the off the field issues. He ended up at #178 on my board, so to me is draft able starting in the 6th round. If I hadn't dinged his score, he would have been in a tie with Dee Ford at #43 on my board. Lyerla never made it to my board. Since I only go 200 deep, it's possible that if I had extended it to 250 he may have been a 7th rounder, but I doubt it.