1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobody likes their OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The other day I spent alot of time in the car so I had sports radio on all day. And what I heard were fans every where generally don't like their OC or coaches for that matter. Ravens hate their OC as much or more then Steeler fans hate BA. San Diego, Dallas, Eagles, Giants, all had callers complaining about them.

Face it guys, there is no one out there that is going to come in and make this team and undefeated juggernaut each season nor do exactly what fans want. Believe it or not the other team practices hard and gets paid to win too. As long as this team is in the hunt for a SB each year and piles up wins like this season, I'm happy. Considering we've had that nearly every single season since 1990, I'm pretty effin happy. Our team gives us plenty to cheer about and gives us meaningful football in January, I'd like a Lombardi Trophy every year too but that's not happening, we do however have more then anyone else.

:yeehaw: :steelersrock: :flag:

2. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Exactly my friend, exactly!!! Well said!!!

3. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    With the possible exception of the Eagles, you did not name a consistently scary offense.

Were there many calls from Pakcers fans? Saints fans? Patriots fans?

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Might of been, they took alot of calls, wasn't camped in my car for 24 hours. If you think there aren't some Saints, Packers and NE fans who aren't happy with their OC you are very mistaken. Also, Dallas should be a scary offense.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In the case of those three the head coach is the primary game planner and takes responsibility for calling plays during the game. I was amazed last year that in one series against the Ravens, That Payton used 15 different personnel packages just to see how the Ravens would respond and then adapted his game plan to that during the game. We all know about how Bilichick beaks down tape almost OCD like and how he controls all aspects of the game. AS far as GB goes I think the communication between McCarthy and Rodgers is one of those things that really aides QB play. My point here is you probably don't hear about OC impact on those teams because their role is different than on the Steelers.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    On another forum I visit which has nothing to do with sports, they have an off-topic NFL thread going all season.

There's several Ravens fans in that thread. They all despise their OC and are hoping (like some here) that Norv Turner becomes available. That's not the funny part. One of them said, and I'm quoting (edit: I'm quoting directly after looking it up):

Yeah... even our worst enemies have a bad opinion of him. Surely we're not all crazy? :shrug:

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    "Nobody"? Just a hunch but I bet these teams "like" their OC :thumbs_up: :

1 Green Bay Packers 34.3 Points per game
    2 New Orleans Saints 33.5 PPG
    3 New England Patriots 30.9 PPG
    4 Detroit Lions 28.9 PPG
    5 Carolina Panthers 25.9 PPG

These teams have no more talent on O than we do, and probably have less. But they do have OC's that can game plan and call plays that work.

:FBAI!:

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would trade Cam Cameron straight up for BA. Problem is, even the rats HC and FO aren't that stupid.

9. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i was thinking the same thing. i cant imagine too many Packer, Saint or Pats fans complaining about their ocordinator.

all team struggle at times. i just keep thinking that through 15 games the Steelers offense hasnt hit its stride yet. they havent peaked too early. i think we will see signs of their offense looking very strong on Sunday and come playoff time is really the only time it matters anyways.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We suck in the redzone, otherwise we'd rank higher in PPG. The fact that we rank 11th in yds with 373.1 and 9th in passing 257 yds proves this offense can move the ball.

And are you seriously implying that there is no one in any of those fan bases that don't dislike their OC? Really? That's a miracle. Here's a fact of life for you, you can't please every one.

By the way, we have one less win then NE & NO and have more wins then the rest on your list except GB who has been head and shoulders above everyone. So, are stats more important to you or wins and losses? Because we are damn near the top in wins. I'l take wins, I don't care about stats.

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    good quote I believe what you say....as long as we win the BA stuff will die down

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :sick: Couldn't find a throw-up emoticon but I guess this one will do. It's bad enough when 75% of the fanbase want our OC gone and recognize he's not getting the job done. It's even worse when the fans of our bitter rivals can even see it.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As the poster above said even Rats fans know BA can't coach......

Also to the point of our ranking in passing and running ,,,this is exactly why the BA stuff doesn't work becauese the stats prove we can move the ball in wide open spaces ,but when we get down to scoring the rock we can't at the same rate as many other Teams with far less talent....

I will use 1 Team to make comparisons the Panthers...to get it started ask yourself where they would be if they had our D???When I do that I see a Team that is 15-1 or 14-2 with a rookie QB that a lot of peeps thought couldn't even play QB in the NFL.....

Well he can't playexactly the same as most ,but can be very effective if the scheme is right.....this is the point where BA fails with Big Ben he is the 2nd. highest rated PA pass QB in the NFL ,but has like 80 less PA attempts than Rogers.....To make that even worse look at GB'S Defense compared to ours ?We should be the ones using more run and more PA because we have the D to back it up.......

Anyway back to the Cam part the OC knew the best way to use Cam was Zone read and Zone read pass and that Cam is a great runner and needs to use those abilities.....

So ask yourselfs what are Ben's best abilities?What the stats show and what I can see on tape is his PA ability,his ability to trow the ball on the run,and his abilty to pump fake ,plus he is good at breaking tackles and extending the play.....

I have listed those in order of the ones that are the most useful 1st. to devising a game plan.....So #1 we need to run the ball more and run to more holes to set up more PA looks.....Fail BA...
    #2 his abilty to throw on the run ,,,hardly ever do we use sprint out pockets or bootlegs which should tie directly into #1 ,but no,,,again Fail BA...
    #3 the use of the pump fake,,is not smart to use that in the pocket without extra help on the backside,is also a bad ideal to design multiple long routes without using a Triangle method or a Stair tree such as 1 option at 5,1 at 15, and 1 at 20 on the same side of the field this is where the RB'S and TE'S can be used greatly also off the same pa looks and get all the elgibles on the same hash in an effort to get Ben outside and stretch the D...again fail BA
    As to the breaking tackles part....This also directly ties into the other 3 do those get Ben outside vs. smaller guys increase his chance of extending the play,and decrease his chances of strip sacks at this point the speed guys really become a thing of beauty because now you have forced 1 on 1 put ben in the best position and have 3 or so routes triangled or stair stepped so now that speed can run in behind it or simply tear up the middle coming into Ben'S Vision later and probably for a huge play.....Do we do that ??Nope so again I say BA fail.......And these types of things are exactly why we have trouble scoring the ball and other Teams with less talent score at a higher rate ,,,because the attack matches the personnel this is what I expect from an OC and we are not even close by any standard....
    T

14. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Methinks the Packers, Saints and Pats fans are too busy complaining about their Defensive Coordinators. :cry:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone in the FBA camp is missing the point of this thread. Chances are you aren't going to like whoever they bring in and I mean fans in general, not just BA's detractors. Knox said he'd welcome Cam Cameron with open arms for crying out loud, an OC who's fan base hates and wants gone. I don't spend any time on other teams boards but I bet they complain about the same type of things we do and wish he would game plan the way many of you here want BA to game plan. Fans want to win, they want to win every game, we get mad when they lose, some are more intolerable of losing then others and need an outlet, that outlet is usually a coordinator or HC. A question for those of you who have been around the board for multiple OC's over the years, was everyone happy with Whiz? Mularkey? Earnhardt?

16. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Please just stop posting stuff like this. Your spouting off way too much common sense and logic for some on here to understand :lolol:

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Cameron is a better OC than BA - maybe not worlds better, but better than BA nonetheless. Rats fans seem to be unrealistic about their talent level. I didn't say that to mean that Cam is the best OC in the world. But rather to illustrate that having the 2nd worse OC would be better than having the worst. And yes, there is hyperbole in this very post as well. It was a joke, genious! You should know by now that I like to joke.

Anyhoo....

F.B.A.I.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

This sums it up pretty well.

I have no problem with the Packers, Saints, and Pats scoring more than the Steelers. But I have a BIG problem seeing Detroit and Carolina putting up more ppg than the Steelers. Again, a stinging indictment of Arians.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Sorry Super Genius! My bad...