1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No way is this happening. Donta Hightower

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Titans and Jets both felt that he was heading back to NE after they met with him. I dont know what vibes he's giving off but thats what they think he will do.

2. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    He probably doesnt wanna play for a team that wont contend. Titans are on their way up but still a year or two away. Jets are a mess. lol

3. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Reports say Claiborne is probably signing with the ravens. House is at least a press coverage corner which is the scheme the steelers are trying to shift to. I dont watch the patriots play so idk but would hightower be that big of an upgrade over vince williams to justify going from 2.5 mil to 10-11 mil a yr for an inside LB? Shazier is gonna need to get re-signed soon.

4. Josh

Josh Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Steelers will never sign him... I never get excited when the Steelers bring someone in for a visit.... they will sign 1 player out of every 20 visits....he will play for New England in 2017 guaranteed..... I'd like to have him, but is he worth the money when he's below avg in coverage? Would rather let Williams start and use that money towards someone like Malcolm butler , although I don't wanna lose a first rd pick

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    If he does sign with us, it'll only be for part of the season, he'll cause a ruckus(blount) and then go back to the cheats with intel. Food for thought.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He doesn't care about winning. He's already won Super Bowls. He wants the biggest payday. They think he's going back to NE because there's no way in hell he's getting 10 mill per like the "Patriots supposedly offered him" Pats are tried to get him paid and have a team over pay for a garbage player. Go compare Timmons and Hightowers stats. You are going to pay double for half the production?

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If all of the above is correct, then why would the Steelers bring him in? There has to be logic to it.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You know, maybe it's just me, but it seems that no matter who we bring in to talk to, or consider, or are linked to by idiots with their tweets, there is a strong negative from the message board and it's resident experts (some who a few years ago were pushing to trade Ben), while any move made by the Cheatriots is met with hosanahs and roses.

Sorry, people, this guy is rated the #3 free agent by nfl.com, he is a major improvement over what we had or have, and will upgrade our defense, never mind taking a position of need in the draft and make it a 6th or 7th round developmental pick. He's not God, but he's a damned good linebacker, and will do more to upgrade our defense than any single corner would have, including guys signed for ludicrous amounts of money by Bellichek.

You complain when we don't make a splash in free agency, and we're set to make a splash and you complain about the temperature of the water. Good freaking lord.

10. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I think the objective view is simple:
    1. We already have an impact ILB under contract (Shazier)
    2. We already have a 2nd experienced ILB under contract (Williams)
    3. Hightower does not impact either of our greatest areas of need (Pass Rush/Coverage)

If we didn't have Ryan Shazier... I'd be more interested in signing Hightower... although I think 10+ million for any ILB is kind of nuts in today's game. It's like paying a RB in QB money.

What I find most interesting is that everyone here worships at Bellichick's feet... and no one wonders why he's willing to let Hightower walk?

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You think ILB is a big enough need to spend 11 million on? When that money could have went toward a corner? And you think ILB would make a bigger impact than CB?

Strongly disagree with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    I agree just roll with Vince Williams. Use that money to lock up Tuitt and Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. I think VW is very underrated. He'll turn some heads next year.

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I hope your right on this cause I don't have a good feeling about him, he has shown some flashes but I am not sure he is starter material.

16. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I liked VW instantly. Find the old threads and I was the only one defending him. We need pass rush help in the worst way. I'm wondering if they think DT can play the edge (which I don't but...). If not, it's stupid to sign him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You werent the only one ;)

I still remember him in his first practice lining people up on defense. He's a student of the game and a thumper. Not the most athletic but he continues to get better.

18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  20. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Okay. Maybe there were two of us. :D I know I took a lot of heat defending him.

21. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
  22. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Same here. Just thought I would provide an 'update'.

23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    They are saying he left without a deal. Now that that is over, it's time to get back to talking about guys we actually have a chance at signing.

24. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Steelers told Dont'a Hightower their offer is off the table if he leaves, @AKinkhabwala reports. Team doesn't want to be used to scare NE.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know where she's getting her information from but Steeers dont share stuff like that.

Thats probably true like AB pouting on the field.