1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No way is this happening. Donta Hightower

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Mar 13, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I loved Hightower when he came out in the draft and I wanted the Steelers to draft him. With that said after seeing how he turned out I am glad we didn't end up with him. He does miss a few games every year and I agree with RPO 10 mil is a lot of money to invest there.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Forget the money - it gives us a splendid peek into Belicheat's playbook - remember how great that turned out when we signed L Blount? Wait..what..?? :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the guy now has two SB rings what on earth could make him sign for anything besides money? If the Pats offered him 10 mil and he said no then I think 10 mil is the starting bid and goes up from there. There is no swaying him with Lombardies and how the franchise is run he is coming from that and this is all about getting paid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are not signing him. His coverage is as bad as Timmons. And at 10 mill plus? :lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Agreed. Vince Williams for his price isnt a bad option and he can play. Rather sign a corner that could play on the other side of Burns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There isn't much left for CBs in FA, scrub like Davon House or bust like Morris Claiborne.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't let him leave the building without signing him.lol I think he can play an edge rusher. He has good speed. So if he can play multiple positions that already makes us better.

8. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Have u seen Hightower play? I think he can also come off the edge. He would make defense better immediately

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Waste of resources, IMO. Would rather see what Williams can do as a full time starter and draft a ILB.

Or could have just kept Timmons for half the price and draft a replacement.

And if he could play outside, dont you think Bill would have used him there?

10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011

Looks like he did

11. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I know that isn't in a true 3-4 alignment but he can come off the edge

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Back in the pre-draft process a few years back I thought Hightower had edge rusher traits. However, New England has had challenges getting edge pressure, and they still didn't use him as a matchup vs. opposing tackles on the edge. That tells me that my pre-draft view if him probably overstated his edge-rushing capability. I do not want a run stuffing/blitzing inside LB for $10+ million/year again. Hightower is a very good player, but I don't see the fit unless Bellechick was wrong and my pre-draft assessment of his edge rushing potential was right (which is... well, unlikely).

In New England he came off the dye as an extra rusher. Big difference.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not saying he would play olb every down. I think he can do it some.
    Look at what we could have on the field at any given time. Shazier, dupree, Harrison, Hightower, throw in a rookie edge rusher with Williams run stopping ability in sub Packages? To me that is scary

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Timmons has sacks off the edge too, whats your point?

Would be a waste of money when they could have put it towards a corner.

Hes not coming here anyway, just driving his price up. He's going back to NE.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If he didn't have that capability, then he would never be getting the pay day he's about to get.

Idk about not letting him leave without signing him, but he'd be a good boost to our defense and would allow us to focus on edge rusher and secondary in the draft instead of having to use and earlyish-mid round pick (2-4) on a ILB. Like it or not we're razor thin at the position

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe that was the same draft David Decastro was still available . If DD wasn't still on the board I think Hightower was Pitts pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Ya know what?...
    I would have to actually look at the roster, and see who we still have, and who we have let go..

We have some damn good Linebackers, but I would have to sort out, who plays inside, and who plays outside..

I Know we still have Silverback, at one OLB position,and at 40+years old, he can bodyslam an offensive lineman to the ground, if they don`t hold him first...

On the other side we have?..

I just did look,

And aside from Harisson, we got Arthur Moats, Anthony Chickillo, Ryan Shazier, and Vince Williams... Bud Dupree(My personal Favorite)..Tyler Matevechevich, Hueguenin Farrington, L.J. Fort, Akil Blunt, Stephon Johnson., Tyler Matekevich, ...

After the 1st 6... I don`t know any of them,and I don`t know which ones play inside vs. outside...

Looks to me like most of them play inside...

I guess we can let that cat from that team up north go, But he did us a lotta good...

I`m thinking DuPree plays mostly from the outside, even tho I`ve seen him come from up the middle...

I`m thinking him and Shazier are our most dangerous pair in the middle...

IMHO, we gotta find somebody to become our next Casey Hampton, and I`m hoping it can be McCullers... because Heyward will hold down the left side of the line, and Tuitt, can attack from the right!!

I dunno.. It seems the peices are there, I`m just not sure how to use them.

GO STEELERS!

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Gravedigger

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Ironic how THAT play was the beginning of the end for Atlanta!

20. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    not trying to argue with you but you just said he didn't have the ability to play outside. that is just one example of many of him playing outside. he can play in space or blitz. he was actually one of the pats best blitzers.

the thing is you either love the move or hate the move. I happen to love it. draft another corner who will be just as good as what is out there in free agency anyway. burns proved they can play in this broken system we now use.lol

now, if we were spending that money on mitchells replacement, I would say no to hightower in a heartbeat

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Honestly, I figured they were looking at him for an edge guy, too. Williams is ready in the middle. Not that I'm great with the idea of DT on the edge. We badly need a pass rushing OLB and CB.

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd rather spend the money on Shazier and Tuitt and lock them up longer term.

Let Vince Williams take over. Draft another and attempt develop him.

We also have Big Red to serve as a back up if need be.

Not that I don't feel that Hightower is a good player because he is, I just think we need to keep the developing the defense, keeping it younger, that way we have a good unit for many seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with Elvis reply about him playing the edge. If they get him, he'll be doing very little of playing outside. He's no different than Timmons except younger. Now if he was much cheaper, sure, why not but not at that price.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know what he is worth, but I'm fairly certain the Steelers aren't just bringing him here to help raise his stock with NE.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

He wants at least 9-10 million per year.

Not too sure if Pittsburgh wants to splurge that level of cash.