1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No the Steelers aren't going to sign Andy Dalton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 30, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He wasn't at LSU for 3 years. Qb is quite a bit more of a skill position then safety. Did your boy win the heismen trophy and a national championship in his one good year? Asking for my friend. As far as my so called draft crush and you waiting to hear about it, I wasn't aware I had to give an editorial. I liked queen a lot too and was the first to mention him here. Ok, here goes. They are better for those two players being added. They drafted better then we did. Of course they had a first round pick. They strengthened an already strong team. We lost to them twice last year. We are back to starting Vince williams at lb. We are back to our fragile rb as a starter for one more year. My crush will most likely play a playoff game for the 3rd time in 4 years.;).:cool:

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Jax I heard is interested. Especially since Jay Gruden is the new Jax OC. They shared time in Cincy.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess you will have to ask urban Myer that question. maybe he could have won another national championship. I'm sure orgeron thanks him. We will get to see how good jt is. Or not is. :cool:

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Just to give you a little bit of hope, the Boston Globe had an article about the Patriots are unlikely to sign Dalton because they have no cap room. The next best bet is the Jags but they are strapped for cash because they are paying a lot of dead money for guys no longer on the team. So the third team they mentioned for a possible landing space for Dalton was the Steelers. They mentioned that with the uncertainty over Ben's elbow and poor backups behind him the Steelers might be interested. However as we know the Steelers don't have a whole lot of cap room either.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    under urban? Who knows. I never cared for urban as a coach. He is just a good recruiter. The talent he had was unreal. The NFL is full of them, including the first and second pick this year. :cool:

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Thanks Hanratty#5.

Yeah, I know we are strapped for cash too. Well, I guess as the saying goes "Where there is a will there is a way". However, to dampen the hopes is Mr. Rooney going on record a few weeks ago and his comments that the team is content with the QB situation and that they are not in the market for a back-up Veteran QB.

I think that is foolish given that Ben is probably nowhere near fully healed IMO. And once he is "declared" healed there is no guarantee that he will maintain it. This was a serious injury. His elbow has been compromised. I hope he comes back strong and does not reinjure his arm. Nonetheless, I would be very concerned if I was Mr. Rooney knowing that our options behind Ben have not panned out up to this point. We have a great Defense and a relatively young and talented Offense that just needs a good QB to lead them. If Ben comes back and stays healthy we are Super Bowl material IMO. No Ben or competent back-up, then be prepared to watch a rerun of last season's performance and another year wasted of all this great talent that we have minus a QB. IMO, our back-up QBs are not ready to lead this team. Not yet anyway and that is being cautiously optimistic. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What information does anyone have, that Rooney doesn't, that should make him more concerned? Since I believe he has infinitely more information than most people, I'll trust his judgement on this one. Personally, I am concerned about any starter getting hurt, but that is part of the game. Lets hope we don't go through another 2019.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m just messing with you mac but I was interested in your take on Dobbins because many here are now downplaying him going to the Ravens after saying how great it would be if we got him. Just wanted to hear from someone who knew him so well and could offer a unbiased take on it. ;)

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    what is your take on no free safety drafted? How about Winfield now with TomTom and gronk? How about Davis lasting until the 3rd round?:cool:

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never mind. I WAS honestly interested in your thoughts but I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed or you’re just completely misunderstanding my post. Have a nice day!

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure how you got that out of how I responded. I was serious as well. I told you how I felt about Baltimore and queen and dobbins in the post before. I wasn't trying to be a smart azz at all. Sorry you took it that way.:cool:

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok sorry as well. I just know that you know the player better than anyone here. A lot of guys are downplaying his impact. I figured you would know best. It’s all good....have a great day now:hehehe:

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Raisin love > Dobbins love on this board, shameful fellas.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Jason got great value in last season. When he came back in for duck he was moving this team. He was throwing with confidence until the last injury that broke the shoulder essentially. That starting experience is very helpful for him and now a qb coach that can build on it. He will now get all the reps as they ease Ben back in, in a camp setting instead of a game plan setting that happens during the season. It can't be done during the season. Mason never had all the reps as a true number two in camp. He and Dobbs split those last year and then he had to split third team reps with duck too. Now with covid-19 this could be another failed preseason hurting his advancement as well, but he has game experience now. Duck and mason now have a lot more experience then many backups out there or draft picks.:cool:

15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Mac. daddyo.

I hope all is well.

Yes, I agree that Mason and Duck were not the beneficiaries of a lot of reps or playing time last season. Then they were thrown into the starting QB roles last year "unprepared". Now, with the Covid-19 issue this will stunt their growths even further. I was and still a am a big Mason fan. Not so much Duck. He did what he had to do at the D-3 Collegiate level which was dominate as a QB. However, with that it obviously is a big drop-off in competition from D-1 to D-3. I was hoping, and still am, that he will be a hidden gem.

I liked what Mason did in college and the ideal situation for me was that him and Washington (former college battery mates as you know) were going to continue with that chemistry at the pro level. Unfortunately, it has not unfolded that way yet but it still might. I do think that our young receiving corp now with the addition of Claypool is going to be very, very good. Put in our Dynamic Duo TEs (Vance and Ebron) and we are even looking better as far as catching the ball
    Given all of that, for me, I still would feel more comfortable with a proven Veteran back-up QB. Again, I would like to land Dalton. I expressed this in several posts and outlined all of the pros for this. The main one is he knows the division and has played very, very well against the rats throughout his career. I am not sure about the Browns but most teams kick their rear-ends anyway.Bring him here with way more exciting and up and coming "O" weapons at his disposal. None of those problem-children like Burfict and Pac-Man. We have a winning culture which would be a breath of fresh-air for him as well. These are al great selling points, IMO. Unfortunately, I know he comes with a high price tag. However, where there is a will there is a way. I am not comfortable with Ben's rehabilitation and Mr. Rooney's comments about not seeking a quality back-up/potential starter. They obviously have more insight to Ben's progression but if he does go down for any reason I cannot believe he is comfortable with Mason and Duck to lead us. Take care.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

No, I do agree with you that if anybody knows the complete low-down on Ben's rehabilitation process, of course it would be Mr. Rooney. Given that, this was a very serious injury as I am sure you would agree. My question mark would be has Ben's arm now been compromised given this "season-ending injury?" I would think so, And sure with all of the advancements in the field of medical technology I am pretty sure Ben is getting the best care possible. Still I have this uncomfortable feeling about his recovery/possible re-injury.

For me, I do like Mason not so much Duck to lead this team in case Ben goes down again for any reason. Yet, even with my endorsement of Mason it does not come without hesitation. That is why I have been advocating the pursuit of Andy Dalton which I have stated numerous times and outlined my reasons for this many times on this Board. Here they are again if you missed it. Yes, a repeat of 2019 would be disastrous. it would probably be a re-run of that movie if ben is not around I am psyched about what we have on paper personnel wise, both for the "O" and the "D". We have a very, very good team in place right now minus the QB position if can not come back or does but does not return to pre-injury form.

The Andy Dalton Recruitment Pitch

• He knows the division. More specifically he has handled the rats very, very well throughout his career. I am not sure about the Browns but would think he did well there also.

• Even if he backs up Ben, keep in mind that Ben is "fragile" at this point. This was no simple surgery that he had. Dalton will be less than just one play away from becoming the starter considering Ben already has a pre-existing condition in a sense.

• Ben may be out the door when his current contract ends anyway; thus, Dalton slides into his spot. Dalton is younger. He can have a nice long productive career in Pittsburgh. How many years does Ben have left on the contract. I am not sure if it is one or two.

• Regarding the cheats getting him, I think our team has more of an upside regarding talent right now than New England. Everyone saw how the cheats did last year. They are more than a QB away from being dominant again. They had Brady last season and look how average they played, EVEN AT HOME! Dalton is not going to single-handedly turn the Patriots around. On the other hand, we are just a QB away from being a dominant team. Our Defense is great. Our Offense is very good, young, and on its way up.

• Dalton will want to go to a team that has a winning tradition that is also high character. No Pac-Man Jones or Burfict guys here. The Steelers move in swiftly to get rid of those problems. I cannot say that about New England or many other teams for that matter. Just recall how Santonio Holmes was suspended by the team for the upcoming game against the Giants the year that we won Super Bowl XLIII. He got in some trouble that week and the Steelers handled it in house. They did not kick the can down the road and wait for the League to deal with it; which would have bought the team some time to keep him playing. I do not think any other team would have done that. Especially for their star receiver. The cheats are one of those teams that say: "We will let the process play itself out". In other words, they do not have the stones like the Steelers to deal with disciplinary issues in-house. Nor did/do the Bengals. We are the best in the league regarding that. Not perfect but the best.

Take care and stay safe my friend.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not me I wanted Jonathan Taylor.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For me the downplaying of Dobbins is that the Ravens already have a loaded running game for 2020. Dobbins may be a great longer term pick up for them, but will he be an upgrade over Mark Ingram in 2020?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Signed Barrett, that's enough for now.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they can easily do what the patriots did for years of stacking draft picks by trading either Edwards or hill for draft capital. Dobbins Ingram Edwards or hill as the guys they keep and some rb starved team will give up picks. It's how the patriots kept reloading and kept good players while giving up good players. :cool:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow, that's alot for a backup

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bengals could have done that and saved $10 mill.

Andy could have done that and been a starter and fought for his job.

There must be something in the water in Cincinnati? Oh wait, there is, I just put some of it in there but it will take a while to get down stream.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Thankfully, this is now a moot point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    is he starting in Dallas?