1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No need to watch this year, this team isn't serious about a SB(Nelson >> Juju)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Mar 20, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The OP should stay in his lane regarding the Pens. He has no idea what he's talking about. You're right about the Bucs. As far as wanting to win or even be competitive, Bob Nutting is, by far, the worst owner in all of professional sports. As far as making money, he's one of the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Actually I know 110% what I'm talking about regarding the Penguins. The correlation between choosing fan sentiment(Juju) over a chance at Championships(Nelson) was spot on. Penguins have been doing it for a decade. We've had two generational talents at center. Arguably Top 5 players in the league for a majority of their career in Crosby and Malkin. Center is the most important position in hockey. It's like having 2 HoF QBs on your NFL team. They should have way more Championships but the Penguins kept choosing fan sentiment over Championships. Flower and Letang were absolutely terrible and cost them many years in the playoffs. They refused to trade them because fans would have absolutely lost their ****. The only reason they were able to finally get rid of Flower was because of the expansion draft. Letang was injured and didn't play 1 game in the playoffs in their last Stanley Cup win. They win a Championship without him and somehow he's untradeable? Could you imagine Pittsburgh media if they won a Championship without Ben, AB, or Bell?

So Penguins go back to back. The 2nd one they won with d-men like Ron Hainsey and Trevor Daley getting major minutes. On their way to a 3peat. They got the "great Letang back" They have the soon to be Champions on the ropes. It's a 2-2 series. They are winning game 5, 3-2 going into the 3rd in DC. This is basically Game 7 after going back to back. They win this game and they go to Pittsburgh and close the Caps out at home and probably 3peat. But what happened?... The "great Letang" went for a line change while the Caps were breaking out and had the puck at their blue line. Giving up a breakaway and easiest goal in hockey. Game/series over.

[​IMG]

Letang is a horrible d-man and they refuse to trade him. It's rumored GMJR tried trading him this year and that's why he got fired. In this scenario Juju is Letang. It's not as egregious because Juju is gone next year and Letang has been holding the Penguins back for over a decade. It's just a waste of everybody's time because this a far worse team giving up our 2nd best corner for a WR when we have been using high draft picks on WR for almost 6 years straight. So yeah, the analogy was perfect. Steelers picked fan sentiment over Championship this year like the Penguins have been doing forever.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There were no bright spots in that game. Bar none the worst Steeler performance I have ever witnessed.

I am not totally down on JuJu. I have 4 boys, three of which are huge JuJu fans, the other is an infant. They are all thrilled he is back in town. I'm old school. I like guys that are totally invested in the team aspect of the game. Shameless self promotion and social media silliness is not something I am a fan of. But beyond all of that, I just don't think spending money on one of our deepest positions was a good move, given our situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So let me get this straight... This was a Top 3 defense until Bud went down. When Bud went down I think we'd all agree they were pretty average. So now we lose Bud, best slot corner in the league, 2nd best corner on the team, and pro bowl caliber DE. How's this defense going to be competitive? We lost our 2nd best corner for a WR when we have Washington, DJ, Claypool, and Ray Ray. That's horrible asset management. Maybe if we could draft and develop some corners who could be very good very quick they could compete. But the Steelers haven't been able to do that in forever. So no, I have no faith in that happening.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I will make no excuses for any of those guys. That trainwreck was a collective effort.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Right there w you. Not a fan of dancing on logo's just for social media, now if you are doing that to let opposition know I'm here to destroy you, I guess maybe, but back it up

He's tainting Claypool w this craptastic mind set from late season interview where Claypool stated Juju is teaching him how to grow HIS brand.... eye roll

Win games, play well n help team win, get tds 1st downs etc. THEN you get attention, but that is passe today...

As for Nelson maybe he's been a giant PIA behind the scenes w his contract etc.?? Who knows, but def took step back n off is meh so will wait it out, 6 months to season see what they add. But not looking good to me

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Having JuJu on the field makes it easier for Ben to force the ball to DJ.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I find it funny that no one is pointing this out. JuJu's antics over the last few years cost him millions!

Juju is a guy who BY FAR, was the most talented receiver, with the most upside in FA. Add to that the fact that this guy is so young. He should have gotten a huge contract.

Instead he had to sit back and watch guys like Curtis Samuel and Marvin Jones get signed in front of him.

NFL owners do not want to tie themselves long term to someone who may create drama for the team. This is why Juju was getting one year prove it offers.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Well, at least there would be. Everyone is to busy sucking Juju off because he took a few bucks less to stay in town. Instead of learning from the situation, and bettering himself, I am guessing we see more Tiktoking than ever this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At quick glance over half of the free agent signings are 1 year deals. It is solely because of the pandemic and the reduction in the cap. Nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one is pointing it out because it didn’t have anything to do with it. Were all the WR’s who signed one year low dollar contracts also being shunned for Tik Tok? He got a 1 year deal because it would have been stupid not to bring him back at that contract and counting only 2.4 million against the cap.

I swear people and this Tik Tok bs, no one gives a damn about it except fans. And yeah, you are going to see a lot more of it, I’m sure his latest will make a lot of peoples head explode. I wouldn’t doubt if he is doing this stuff to troll people that make a big deal out of it.

JuJu didn’t get the market he wanted because people don’t feel he is a number one and he was looking for #1 money, that simple. He was coming off two underwhelming seasons for a guy looking for a big contract. He needs a big year to cash in next season.

The guy is a Steelers through and through, hard nose player that has delivered tough shots and received them. And yes, he took less money to stay here but lets dismiss that because thats what players to all the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It would be completely naive to think that teams didn't take Juju's antics over the last two years into account before deciding what kind of contract to offer him.

Juju came back here because he didn't have any offers he liked. He didn't take all that much less to stay.

The Steelers keep enabling behavior that is contradictory to team success. That is exactly why they can't seem to find any.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't even know where to begin. Fans I've been around wanted Letang out of here for years. He's an easy scapegoat. That they haven't traded him is an example of not caving to fan sentiment. Nor should he have been traded. He's having arguably his finest season this year and is one of the reasons they've remained competitive with injuries to major players. I'm not going to sit here and break down year by year why they didn't win the cup more than they have. But how about starting with it's the hardest tournament in any sport, by far, to win? How about it is a copycat league, i.e, now every team is fast? How about Pens ownership stubbornly ran with Shero/Bylsma four years longer than they should have? As far as MAF, they won a cup exclusively with him and won the first two series' in '17 with him. He's a future HoF'er, yet you want to essentially pin all of the cups they didn't win on two players because Lemieux/Burkle bend to the will of Pens fans. Like I said, stay in your lane and b!tch and moan about the Steelers. You're not good at that either, but you try hard.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh wow, the best players in the world Crosby and Malkin won 1 cup in a decade exclusively with Flower. Did you ever stop and think they won in spite of him? Ever stop and think how many Cups they could have won with a real goalie? Like they did with MM. Flower helped them win a few series when he was hurt in spite of him. They would have won with anybody in net. That's why he went to Vegas and lost his starting duties to a druggy. They wanted to get rid of him in the off-season and nobody wanted him. Great guy, average goalie. Don't even get me started on Letang. He's played with the best player in the world his whole career. Anybody could've had a decent career doing that. Did Ben make Plax, Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, AB, Juju, etc. Or wait did they all make Ben great? Same situation with Crosby and Letang. Anybody who makes the NHL can pass the puck up to Crosby and let him do all the work. We've had some of the best goal scorers in the league; Neal, Kessel, Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, etc. We never needed our defense to score. We just needed this idiot to pass the puck up and not bleed goals and he couldn't do it. Last 8 season before this season Letang has like a combined +30 plus/minus which is just brutal. Once GMJR tried trading his worthless ass that set a fire under him and he's been pretty good this year. Way too late imo.

There's Pens fans still crying about Flower and we lost him to an expansion draft. They follow him around to Vegas and ran MM out of town. Now imagine if they actually traded him. Same situation with Letang. Not to mention Mario is a frenchie and has a soft spot for fellow frenchies.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, what it is is completely ludicrous to think what a player using social media has any bearing on whether GM’s wanted to sign him or not. I mean how do you even say that out loud and not see how insane that sounds.

Guess every team has a cultural problem then because every one of them has players using social media.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the reduction in the salary cap hurt him more than his social media, only one WR got a really big deal Golladay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Dancing on other teams logos goes beyond a player using social media. Doing so even after it had clearly become a problem goes beyond just enjoying social media celebrity. When a teammate has to drag you off a logo, you would think that would be a hint that it was a bad idea.

Let's not forget this cat did quite a bit of college partying during the 19 season while he was injured and not attending team events.

But hey let's all applaud him for taking slightly less money.

I will guarantee this right now, and you guys can all hold me to it. There will be controversy involving JJSS this season in some form or fashion.

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I think Juju is a far better talent than Golladay. Reduction of the salary cap hurt for sure, but the negative publicity sure didn't help him any.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, you think teams are holding the logo dancing against him even know he stopped?

Why did he have offers from other teams, all for more money with the incentives? Ravens a million more even without incentives?

If JuJu had a season of 1400 yards to go along with his 10 TD’s, you really think he doesn’t get the 16-18 million contract that was projected?

Bashing him for taking less money just shows how impossible some fans make it for athletes to do anything right by them.

Dunlap summed it up perfectly for me, just because I defend his right to use Tik Tok, doesn’t mean I don’t find a lot of the videos silly but I’m not the target audience and it’s harmless fun so what’s the problem?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

It would seem by Numbers that Juju is the better talent. And he’s 3 yrs younger. But would disagree with negative publicity, he didn’t beat a woman, he didn’t break a gun law outside of a strip club at 2 am, test positive for PEDs, etc but somehow GMs had pause. Why? When they talked to him did he sound like a dope? Did he insist on money that was unrealistic? They Giants gave Golladay 2 to 2.5x the money. If juju is smart he’ll ask why that happened. Questions on dedication to your craft.? Juju is not a bad guy, but I ain’t paying for big money for a guy who’d rather dance.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it’s what a lot of people say, that they don’t think he’s a number 1.

Golladay has performed as a number 1, JuJu fell a little short last season and the season before that was a disaster without Ben.

Also the cap going down plus a lot of the teams with cap space didn’t need him and then there is the strong draft class, too.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There is no issue. Juju can act how he wants. He’s silly and harmless and can TikTok the night away. But if a future employer decides that he’d rather spent his salary cap $ elsewhere. That’s there right too.
    jujus branding choices might have cost him millions. Fine, his choice, his brand

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Keep going, you do a more thorough job of proving my point about not knowing what you are watching than I ever could.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    My brand is the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am guessing so is yours. Maybe Juju should stop worrying about "his" brand and start doing a better job of representing ours.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Blast, I could give two phucks what Colin Dunlap thinks. He is a guy with an opinion, no different than you or I.

Juju can put on a Jane Fonda gettup and dance the Macerena on Tiktok later tonight for all I care. This is his own time. It is the offseason.

As soon as he puts on the Black and Gold he is representing the Steelers, the city of Pittsburgh, and us as fans. Keep that nonsense out of the lockerroom, and off of the field. It really is that simple. I am not convinced Juju gets that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, I didnt say you did or should, I said he sums up my feelings perfectly.

JuJu can do whatever tf he wants on his own time even during the season and you and any other fan don’t have a damn say in the matter.

I’m not sure JuJu is the one that needs to get it. As Afan said, he’s not beating women, getting into trouble outside of strip clubs, not in any kind of trouble with PED’s, some fans are clinging to days of old, you’re the ones that need to change, not JuJu.

• Disagree Disagree x 1