1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No Love For The Defense

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Jay31, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    For the past 2 weeks, I have been seeing a lot of NFL defensive players getting hit with the penalty flag for doing what I thought were legal hits (arm wrapped around the players body for a clean tackle). But after seeing Clay Matthews get penalized for tackling Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith in week 2 and week 3, now I am just confused on what is legal and illegal in the NFL. Clay clearly wrapped his arms around their body and took them down. It was not a low hit. It was not a helmet to helmet. He did not choke slam them. It was a great hit. But they gave him a flag for those hits? Miami Dolphins defensive end William Hayes tore his ACL, and is out for the season because he tried avoiding a penalty by unnaturally going to the side of his own body instead of staying on top of Derek Carr's body after tackling him. This rule will have defensive players not only getting hurt by trying to change their landing after hits, but it will make them also hesitant to make a play on the quarterback. Which will be crucial in moments especially when that defender's team need a stop on 3rd down situations. I understand the helmet to helmet, hitting below the waist, horse collar penalties. But the NFL are stopping defensive players from being playmakers on plays when they are trying to take down the quarterback. The NFL have to change this rule fast.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As much as I don't want to change the "in the grasp" rule because of BB's escape capabilities, the only solution is to blow the whistle at the instant the QB is in the grasp of a defender and before he takes him to the ground, not unlike flag football. Give the defender credit for a sack (which is really what he wants in the first place) and move on. Again, I don't like this suggestion but what else can be done to achieve the desired "safe" results?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Defense, what is this defense you speak of?? Looking at the scores so far in this NFL season the NFL has got want it wanted with all the rule changes over the years, more high scoring games. I'm from the old school when defense won Championships. I know I'm in the minority but I miss hard nose, knock on ass, defensive games.

• Agree Agree x 1