1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No faith in Beachum???

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by numbah58, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friends, Mike Munchak is
    being brought in probably by KC
    to save his and MT's job. The horrible drafting by these two has come to fruition.
    I personally do not see us
    drafting an OL
    high, but you never know. Matthews,Robinson you just never know? If we would go with one of these 2
    I would prefer Matthews, Has more pass blocking experience.the last 2 years, with Johnny football.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This could be true I suppose but weren't a good many of us surprised at the firing because of the improvement over the 2nd half of the season?

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so much of that was done with smoke and mirrors to an extent to protect the line. I'm not sure we can or will run that offense as a sustained O.:cool:

4. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I've heard this argument but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Don't all teams adjust playbooks and gameplans to mask weaknesses and utilize strengths?

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there is a difference in using these things from time to time against weaknesses of another teams defense, but not as your main offense. you do adjust your offense for other teams defenses, but that changes and you have to be able to run your whole offense and adjust what part of it you will use from week to week per each opponent.:cool:

6. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I didn't see Beachum getting the help in the 2nd half of the season like he did at the beginning. It seemed to me that the trust level in him increased dramatically.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and it wasn't just Beachum that played better, all positions did. They weren't running the no huddle exclusively either, the line played better. The biggest problem over the years has been no continuity, they've had different coaches all the time, injured players all the time, we finally had a stretch where the same guys played next to each other week in and week out and they made strides.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no we didn't use it exclusively and I never said we did, but we continued with quick hitches, swing passes out of the backfield, quick hitters along with the no huddle. these are all things to help a line. you guys as well as any know I've been the biggest fan of beachum since preseason of his rookie year. he'll be fine where he's at. I just want a better plan behind him on this team. I don't see that here.:cool:

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, I have optimism in this O-line but it seems that we may be in the minority BF.. :thumbs_up:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Seems to be a recurring theme, we're pretty much alone on our offensive weapons choices too :lolol:

I was just reading that Veldheer from the Raiders is a little annoyed that they are dragging their feet with signing him, wonder if he would be affordable to us due to the injury he is coming off of? If the Raiders want him though, we won't have a chance, they have 60 million in cap space. There's Branden Alberts from the Chiefs too but he has injury problems. Wonder if that has something to do with his technique, maybe Munchak could help keep him on the field.

11. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Beachum is not a good LT. That is a myth created by the local media that frequently talks up Steeler players. Beachum gave up 7 sacks while starting 12 games. That's not good, especially with Ben getting rid of the ball quicker than he has in the past. And his run blocking is pretty weak too. He was just a better option than Mike Adams this season.

12. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I respectfully disagree.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I DISrespectfully disagree. ;)

14. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I respectfully agree somewhat, respectfully disagree somewhat. :smiley1:

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    So you're "respectfully" on the fence? :scratch: :lolol:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No, I'm just really respectful. :lolol:

I think he's a serviceable left tackle, but I agree that the media hype was higher than warranted. As I've said before, I don't think he's the long term answer at LT. I root for the kid, and hope he has a long, successful career in Pittsburgh.

My opinion of him has nothing to do with his measurables or where he was drafted either.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The thing I like about Beachum is that he truly wants to be great. Not just serviceable or good but GREAT! This kid has decent, not great, talent but his heart and desire is greater than most. I predict that he'll be the Hines Ward of our offensive line. He may be somewhat limited from a physical ability standpoint, but he'll outsmart you, outwork you and outhustle you. I'm rooting for him and think he deserves another season to entrench himself in the role. I think Munchak will LOVE him!

19. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree Jack, couldn't have expressed it better!