1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No faith in Beachum???

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by numbah58, Feb 6, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree about Matthews of course and add Greg Robinson. Beachum has experience at G, and would transition to LG pretty seamlessly. Embernate is a small question mark, though he does say his rehab is going well. Velasco is a huge question mark.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    beachum proved it and he was a late 7th rd. pick that passed up two 2nd rounders. they don't give out all American attributes at the drop of a hat and that's what yankey did a tackle last year. yes we would be drafting him as an interior guy, and he will fit great there for us, but he's got the game to move to that LT spot as an upgrade to anyone else we have here. that's value for a top player.:cool:

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd keep Beachum at LT. Ben was kept upright toward the end of last season, why change a good thing you got going? He is quick enough to get outside and run block in the zone scheme.

People want to knock him because he is a lower draft pick, maybe he just plain 'ol outplayed his draft position? I think if he gets coached up and adds some strength I think he could be even better, and that is good enough for me.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    beachum gave up 5 in his first 5 games, and none the last 6 games.

gilbert gave up 11 sacks, 5 hits, 30 hurries and 8 penalties on the season.:cool:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I think it was more than that.

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought it was 6 sacks over the last 7 games. Not sure why I typed 1, maybe doing some subtraction or something. Either way those sack numbers are VERY good over the last half of the year.

My brain farts sometimes..

7. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not sure about Robinson TTF but I haven't really looked at him.

I'm going to defer, what is it that tells you he's the same type of prospect as Matthews?

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    infact i posted in another thread i would pick a left tackle in the middle rounds

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Thus why I see no need for an early LT in the draft. Now if we can land Yankey in the 2nd round it's a 2 for 1 and I get that. If we can't I like a later round Tackle or a FA..

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Robinson is a better than athlete than Matthews with a higher ceiling. In saying that, I have Matthews higher on my board.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    He's a different type of prospect than Matthews, but Robinson is possibly the nastiest, yet nimblest run blockers I've seen in a long time, whereas Matthews doesn't get asked to do a lot of drive run blocking. I had question marks before, in that he's a waist bender at times in pass pro, but he's a presence in the short passing game, and he's a top 15 pick IMO.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. I'd be surprised if either is around long.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    May I ask why you have Mathews higher? I assume through everyone's listing that was the case but as my research continues I'm leaning to putting Robinson the top OT. Isn't Mathews really a RT people think can move to LT in the NFL? I know last year Luke was the consensus #1 yet that honor ended up going to Fisher.

PS... Mac-- I'M not Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cajun-

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm not crazy..... I'm NOT crazy........ I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!..... LOL

Seriously though let me explain. Beachum is our best LT... Both Gilbert and Adams were drafted to develop and possibly become our LT. Between these two Gilbert is the more nimble and athletic and because of this I think Munchak will coach him up and into a top LT in 2-3 years. If not then at least he'll be a beast RT. Adams........................ we should not give up on him,,,,yet,, but he has more issues than just poor technique and if he doesn't get those cement blocks off his feet he'll be gone in 2 yrs.

Cajun-

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I still think Adams is the best LT on the roster....so I am fine with letting Beach and Adams and a late rounder/FA go at it in camp.

HACK

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    For me, it's for different reasons. Matthews is more of a surgeon, where Robinson is not. Robinson is a beast in the run game, but he has technique issues in spots that need correction. The biggest possible issue for me is the difference in pass protection. Matthews isn't completely without issue, but he does it very well, and he's done it a heckuva lot more. A&M passed almost twice as much as Auburn. Auburn's run ratio is similarly unbalanced.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    sorry hack i usually agree with you but did you see adams at left tackle this season?

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He gave up a sack to Clay Mathews. If Mathews hadn't broken his hand again it very well could have been more.

mathews.jpg

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn't play a lot his first year and this year he was stabbed going into the season, why does no one recognize that. I have no idea if he is the answer but there is no way in heck I am writing off a 2nd round pick that fast, especially taking the injuries into consideration. Gilbert played hurt all year too, and still graded out very well in several games. Both him and Adams are being tossed into the trash. I let Munchak take a crack at them.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm not writing him off and i personally think he would improve a lot , but say NOW that is the best left tackle seems a little too much , i want to see him playing good the position before say is a best lt

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I agree, needs a lot of work before that can be said, IMO.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

He gave up 4 sacks in the first 4 games.....3 of them against Jared Allen......

then he played really well after his benching.

I think his skill set is best suited to the left side.

HACK

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm with you and actually started a thread about it a couple of months ago (attached). Because of his stellar play, I don't think LT is a position of need in the first round.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/showthread.php?8086-Our-LT-of-the-future-is

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Beachum did a nice job filling in at LT but I don't think he's the long term answer. They would be better off drafting a LT and have Beachum be the backup. If Matthews or Robinson are still on the board at #15 they should draft them.