1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No faith in Beachum???

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by numbah58, Feb 6, 2014.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've seen a lot of MB members stating a desire to select a LT early in this draft and it posed this question to me.

Does Steeler Nation want to replace Beachum after what I would call a breakout performance in 2013?

I understand that Beachum is versatile and can back-up many positions on the O-line but does that trump the fact that he is a good LT? Something that the Steelers have had trouble finding recently. There's no where to go but up with Beachum IMO.

Thoughts?

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree completely. I think in some people's mind he doesn't fit the mold of a LT there for he can't be good. We'll the bus didn't fit the mold or how about Kirkland.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Some faith, yes. Enough to think he's the answer at LT for years? Nope. Scheme and play calling played a huge factor in his success. Is Mike Adams playing tight end again this year?

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have no backup if he goes down with injury. gilbert and adams are not LT players. adams could be a 3rd option for a game or part of one if it came to that. gilbert is a RT only player.

the broncos showed that a good backup LT was needed last year. theirs played most of the season and into the SB. we don't have that and I would hate to scrap a good season because we had no depth upfront and chose to keep two guys without much upside at the spot, no matter who the new coach is. he's not a miracle worker.

pass protection is where beachum was the better player. we need to trade in one of our 2nd round RT only players for a guy with good LT pass protection skills, then munchak will have something to work with.:cool:

5. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Then take a LT prospect in the mid-late rounds. Do we need to take a LT in the 1st round so that we have a back-up? We have a proven performer at that spot. Do we take the job away from him after his performance in '13??

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Definitely don't want a LT picked at #15 overall as a backup.

7. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I just think we have more pressing needs in the 1st round.

WR and CB immediately come to mind.

IMO Beachum performed well enough to warrant looking at other positions in the 1st..

That being said, if Matthews drops to #15 I'd be happy taking a LT but he's the only LT in this draft that I want at #15..

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn't be surprised if they look to free agency to address this position.

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree 100% BF.. And I think that's the right move.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I see your point, and agree for the most part, though I can see a very strong case against WR in round one. First, I should probably say that while I'm sounding like "it's LT or bust", that's not my position at all. This might change, but I see two OT's worthy of a round #15 pick as of right now.

I think your case against LT in round one applies to WR in round one, except that WR is really deep this year, so why take one in the first? The offense preformed well the second half of the year, and only one of last year's WR's are likely to not be back. Now, I can see a stronger case for TE in round one, because of lack of depth and drop off. In terms of need as of today I think CB gets top billing, though this team doesn't typically seem to prioritize CB's the way we want them too.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here's my two cents for what its worth 58......

TTF is right in a couple areas, Scheme and playcalling helped not only Beachum but the entire OL the 2nd half of the season. Also you don't want a OL picked #15 as a B/U.....

My take is this, Beachum is not the prototypical LT, too short and weak.... BUT... he has a weird body if that can be said, for his overall height he has long legs and unusually long arms and quick feet. These traits help him overcome a stature issue and even have success. I think with good coaching he'll get better. Munchak WILL install the ZBS and Beachum is quick enough for that. Foster actually graded among our best OL last year but he's too slow for ZBS which is why Beachum may kick inside if we can get a LT.

Adams will never be our LT. He's just too slow for the ZBS but he could move to RT. Gilbert is athletic enough for the ZBS and has the size for LT. He, along with Beachum, will be Munchaks projects and keys to our success.

As of right now, Beachum is our starting LT until somebody beats him out and if he stays our Starter for the next couple years we'll be okay. He's been fighting the odds and proving people wrong since he entered the NFL and with Munchak now being his coach, well, lets just wait to see how he continues to rise to the occasion.

Cajun-

12. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know how I overlooked that as I've been a proponent of Ebron in the 1st for a while.. And I agree that the Steelers have rarely went CB in round 1 over the years.

I'm actually of the mindset that we need weapons. Eric Ebron followed by Jordan Matthews and then one of the CB's in the 3rd. I like the mid round CB's in this draft.

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I like your thinking Cajun..

I really believe that with his intelligence, work ethic and Munchak added to the mix that there is no where to go but up for Beachum..

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek:

I'd do a happy dance :dancing:

Is CB and Safety deep enough to wait that long though? We might not have a third, remember.

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    You've been on the "weapons" kick as well BF..

I think we should get a 3rd or 4th comp pick for Wallace.

As for the CB's and Safeties in or around the 3rd.. I like CJ Gaines, Antoine Exum, Pierre Desir, Jaylen Watkins, Dion Bailey, Terrence Brooks and Jimmie Ward to name a few.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still of the idea of david yankey in the first. being the best guard in the draft which we could use in fosters spot but has that potential to play LT at a higher rate then adams or gilbert. I think Cajun is crazy if he thinks gilbert is good enough to be the backup LT. no way, no how. he's the odd man out if it were up to me. the two for one that we would get from yankey makes the line a whole lot better and beachum keeps his spot at LT. that's what would make him worth a #1 pick. you want a starter from a #1 pick and he would be that. :cool:

17. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Yankey and think he'll be a very good LG in the league.

I just don't know how realistic it is to have all 3 interior lineman be 1st round picks mac..

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it may not be that bad if we didn't have two #2's that don't deserve they're draft selection. his worth comes from being able to play two money spots with one pick. I also think it will protect and allow four other high picks to operate at a high level. AB, bell, heath and ben.:cool:

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It seems to be working out great for the SF O-line. Not 3 1st rounders on the interior, but 3 1st round picks across the line. In my opinion, you can never invest too much into an O-line. That being said, I don't really want an OT @ #15.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Exactly. The guy gave up 7 sacks in 10 or 11 games and he's not exactly a force in the run game. I want a long term answer at lt, not a player that we have to neuter the play book for.

21. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    He'd have to prove that he can play LT in the NFL to me. His ability to do that remains a question mark IMO. I know he performed very well at LT in the NCAA's but it's a different beast. As of now he's being drafted as an interior lineman.

If he slips into the 2nd I'd strongly consider him if I were the Steelers FO.

22. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Well then he must've given up at least 6 sacks in his first 3 games because the whole O-line only gave up 1 over the last 7 games..

I find it hard to believe that they would've went with him if he was averaging 2 sacks per game over his first 3 starts..

23. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be interesting to know if any team since the SB era has went into a season with (3) 1st round picks at LG, C and RG..

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So many thoughts to add to this thread:

1. I am okay if we just go with the same Oline we currently have around. I think we can get good play out of....Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams, Whimper, Wallace, Embernate, and Velasco.

2. I do not take a LT at 15 unless it is a can't miss type of prospect. Matthews would be a no-brainer based on who our new Oline coach is and his relationship to the players father. He has probably known the kid for years.

3. If Matthews would fall to us, I would actually give Beachum a look at the starting LG spot. G is where I always thought he should play. He still may end up there at some point, should Adams turn things around (I don't think we give up on him yet.)

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm sorry but your mistaken. We gave up 7 over the last 7 games, 3 of which came in week 14. It's not as if we had or have a lot of options.