1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No excuse.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The 3rd and 4 play where Ben threw an INSTANT out route in the flats to Moore. It was clear this play was intended for Moore and no one else was even getting a look. Now I can't be sure that Ben thought he saw something and threw it to him quick or if BA told him thats who you are going to but it just looked like that was the intended play.

Mendenhall actually had some decent runs but then we would just abandon it and run here and there to keep the defense honest. Why would we not run it? At worst get a few more yards and go for a bit closer TD.

The WORST possible play you could do in that situation, besides intentionally handing the ball to the defense, is to THROW a PASS to a subpar player that has ZERO chance of getting a first down if caught and guaranteeing that the player WILL go OUT OF BOUNDS stopping the clock which is definitely not what you want in that situation.

I am SICK of these types of plays, it almosts makes me wish Moore was off the team because it always seems like these screwy pass plays and 3rd and long draw plays are DESIGNED to go to him.

Tomlin has to hold BA accountable for this and himself for that matter for even letting it happen. I know I am going a bit over the top here but it is just so frustrating because the game was ours to lose. And then letting a delay of game penalty happen taking away our chance at a FG is totally unacceptable and no one at a PROFESSIONAL level should let that happen. But this is not a one time thing, we have been seeing stuff like this all year and in the past few years.

Something MUST be done...

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm glad that sanders will be back this week.This put pressure on the def to cover too many quick receivers and then maybe ben can throw thow ball to the first down marker instead of in the flat.

3. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011

Exactly!! This was one of the major differences in offense between this week and last. When you have the route running ability and speed of Sanders on the field along with Brown, Wallace and Miller, someone gets open. Sadly, Ward and Cotchery don't have that any longer. As much as I love Ward, a healthy Sanders brings a whole different element to the offense.

:ratssuck:

4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course they are because that's his role on the offense as a 3rd down back and I think it's a bit unfair to be calling him a subpar player. It's not like we haven't seen Moore have success on 3rd down conversions before. I was also pissed about the delay of game penalty taking away the FG but in hindsight it wasn't that big of a deal because a 47 yarder at Heinz isn't a gimme especially with our kicker and the last thing you wanna do in that situation is miss it and give Baltimore the short field. I had more of a problem with our defense folding like a cheap suit and giving up a 92 yard TD drive at the end versus anything our offense did in their last possession.

5. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Actually, why not spread them out on that play and let Ben run a qb draw. Could have possibly got the 1st or picked up a few more yards for the fg attempt. That time management was atrocious.

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have rather missed it and given them the short fiels so we would have the opportunity to get the ball back at the end.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We went back to playing "BA ball" and this was the result. Last week's win over the Pats and the successful game plan that was put to together for that game, was apparently a "one and done". Never to be seen again. We're back to the same old Steelers (under BA & Tomlin anyway) that plays poor percentage football, keeping other teams in the game, stupid mistakes, & loose defense.

8. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    My biggest issue in the 4th qtr was the two incomplete passes on the last possession. Run the ball! Even if you lose a couple of yards, keep the clock running. The ravens should have had no timeouts when they got the ball back. Poor clock management. A run between the tackles for -3 yds could have won the game.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There's a lot in this logic. Whether you stop them at the 10 or at the 50, you've still got to stop them.

If I was to put the loss down to one thing, it would be our inability to stop 3rd down conversions. And on the last play, I would have had 3 dbs in the endzone at the snap (haven't been abe to watch a replay to see what formation they were in, mind).

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mendy was averaging over 4 yards per carry, so there's just no excuse for not running the ball on that play. BA out-thinking himself again.

11. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Saunders made a bg drop that could have been a first down.

12. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Saunders should have been run blocking (the play call should have been a run)

13. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah going for the FG should have been a definite. Its a win, win in my opinion. And as someone stated earlier, either way you got to stop them... the way they were converting 3rd downs we may as well tried to go up by 7 and at worst give us enough time after they score.

The pass to Moore tho just has be so frustrated... I just can't understand why in the world you would run a play designed to go short of the first down and take the receiver out of bounds in that situation. I JUST CANT WRAP ME HEAD AROUND IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH it HURTS!!

14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know why there are so many complaints about the "O" in this game. The first game, absolutely. But this game? We back them up to the 8 yard line with 2 1/2 minutes to go and let them march 92 yards down the field for the win. This one was on the "D" - No excuse.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How many trips to the red zone did we have? How many TD's did we get from this trips to the red zone? I rest my case.

The O is just as much to blame. They didn't score TD's like they should. They also didn't close the game out. Great teams close games out, they don't force their D's to come up with a big stop. We never seem to be able to close games out, ever. It's so frustrating. I still can't believe that awful play call to throw it to Moore short of the 1st down marker. Just makes no sense. God I hate Arians so much!!!